NCAAF/National Scene

rico

On 7/11/2023 at 2:20 PM, IUALUM03 said:

This is why they will still get some looks in addition to being in Chicago, reasonable expectations, and being in the B1G.

cc-1.jpg

ryan-field1540__ScaleMaxWidthWzc3MF0.jpg

Northwestern_RyanField_Rendering_CreditNU.jpg

Heard the practice facility is amazing too. That said it’s definitely an uphill battle in a conference like the B1G. 

On 7/20/2023 at 7:09 PM, dgambill said:

Heard the practice facility is amazing too. That said it’s definitely an uphill battle in a conference like the B1G. 

I agree, but the infrastructure is going to be there.  The only hinderance would be the academics, but as Fitz showed, it is possible for NW to be a strong, consistent winner with top of conference finishes sprinkled in.  

On another note, I would love for IU to enclose the stadium eventually similar to this.  They have improved it dramatically over the last decade, but want them to take the final step and run what they have on both entryways around the sides as well to create more of a cohesive fasade and enclose the internal structures (i.e. concession, seating, etc.) 

6 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

I agree, but the infrastructure is going to be there.  The only hinderance would be the academics, but as Fitz showed, it is possible for NW to be a strong, consistent winner with top of conference finishes sprinkled in.  

On another note, I would love for IU to enclose the stadium eventually similar to this.  They have improved it dramatically over the last decade, but want them to take the final step and run what they have on both entryways around the sides as well to create more of a cohesive fasade and enclose the internal structures (i.e. concession, seating, etc.) 

Love the ideas regarding Memorial stadium. As far as Northwestern being able to compete, their road to successful seasons will be much tougher for any coach without divisions. The West was just incredibly weak compared to the East. 

13 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Find a partner for Nebraska and shrink the B1G

Doubt the B1G will shrink, but ditching Nebraska is interesting.  They haven't exactly competed well in the B1G, and they were kicked out of the AAU after joining.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with Washington,  Oregon,  Stanford,  and Cal.

On 7/30/2023 at 8:46 PM, IU Scott said:

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-expansion-rumors-clemson-florida-state-oregon-washington 

If this happens that is just 4 more teams to push IU football farther down the big ten standings

IU football has always been at the bottom…what’s the difference from 14/16 and 18/20? The bottom is the bottom and it isn’t like we are going to bring in bad schools just to help us look better. We will be lucky they let us stay in the B1G.

Which way does this end? Miami and North Carolina fit the academic model far more than Florida St and Clemson for Big 10. Or does the Big 10 go with Oregon and Washington?

I'd imagine the Big 10 would love to have a footprint down South. 

Based on the calls today it's just a matter of when those teams leave the ACC.

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Which way does this end? Miami and North Carolina fit the academic model far more than Florida St and Clemson for Big 10. Or does the Big 10 go with Oregon and Washington?

I'd imagine the Big 10 would love to have a footprint down South. 

Based on the calls today it's just a matter of when those teams leave the ACC.

I honestly wonder if the LifeWallet issues with John Ruiz at Miami will play any part tbh. I feel like there’s a slimy element to Miami IMO that the B1G may want to stay away from. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I honestly wonder if the LifeWallet issues with John Ruiz at Miami will play any part tbh. I feel like there’s a slimy element to Miami IMO that the B1G may want to stay away from. 

LifeWallet represents about 10% of of Miami's NIL deals. Given what's happened over the years at Penn St, Michigan St, now Northwestern,etc...I don't think the Big 10 needs to be looking down at anyone's stuff...especially since what's going with Ruiz is more of a witch hunt.

Academically and TV Miami and UNC fit perfectly. 

Some will say Florida St but it's just not a market the Big 10 wants. Miami is international. Florida St is SEC light. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I knew given enough time one of these attorneys would find a potential loophole. Florida St may have a route to get out of ACC. Good stuff. I guess this might be the leverage they need.

https://www.on3.com/college/florida-state-seminoles/news/report-path-exists-for-florida-state-acc-exit-due-to-omission-in-grant-of-rights/

Gonna be interesting to watch this unfold.

• Like 1

This would suck for Indiana, but for i think this would be super fun and entertaining as a fan. 

It gives us the top teams playing each other in a playoff format, gives smaller programs something to play for, and makes the season way more entertaining for more teams. 

For Indiana as an example, while the conference affiliation isn't as glamorous, the season also isn't over 4 games into it. You have league advancement to play for, etc.

I think this would be a really fun way to do college football. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

This would suck for Indiana, but for i think this would be super fun and entertaining as a fan. 

It gives us the top teams playing each other in a playoff format, gives smaller programs something to play for, and makes the season way more entertaining for more teams. 

For Indiana as an example, while the conference affiliation isn't as glamorous, the season also isn't over 4 games into it. You have league advancement to play for, etc.

I think this would be a really fun way to do college football. 

Very interesting overall but where did TCU start the season last year?  Don't think they were in that top tier but yet they were able to finish near the top.  And it made for one heck of an exciting season.