NCAAF/National Scene

rico

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

And NW football is dead now. 

Good luck getting a good coach to go into that job. I mean I know it's a Big 10 job but still.....

I'm still having a difficult time understanding that Northwestern conducted a 7 month investigation that resulted in a 2 week suspension.....and 72 hours later (like we talked on here over weekend) termination because of what exactly?

So much egg on the face of the entire Northwestern school.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Good luck getting a good coach to go into that job. I mean I know it's a Big 10 job but still.....

I'm still having a difficult time understanding that Northwestern conducted a 7 month investigation that resulted in a 2 week suspension.....and 72 hours later (like we talked on here over weekend) termination because of what exactly?

"The hazing was well-known by many in the program, though the investigator failed to find any credible evidence that Coach Fitzgerald himself knew about it," Schill wrote in his open letter. "As the entire six-month independent investigation was confidential, I only recently learned many of the details, including the complainant's identity. I spoke with his parents on Friday and the student on Sunday."

That led Schill to write an open letter to the university community in which he said that he "may have erred in weighing the appropriate sanction" for Fitzgerald and acknowledged focusing "too much on what the report concluded (Fitzgerald) didn't know and not enough on what he should have known."

Fitzgerald, in a statement to ESPN, said he was "surprised when I learned that the president of Northwestern unilaterally revoked our agreement without any prior notification and subsequently terminated my employment," referencing the agreed-upon two-week suspension.

Fitzgerald, who said in his statement Monday that the investigation "reaffirmed what I have always maintained -- that I had no knowledge whatsoever of any form of hazing within the Northwestern Football Program," 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Now I heard the faculty is asking for the investigation report to become public.  They are wondering why they went from a suspension to a firing. Also they want to suspend the football renovations until everything has been resolved 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Now I heard the faculty is asking for the investigation report to become public.  They are wondering why they went from a suspension to a firing. Also they want to suspend the football renovations until everything has been resolved 

That should help. Getting academia types involved or meddling in sports. I'd tell them this. Just use the $50M this school gets from the BTN contract and go away....

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

This is why they will still get some looks in addition to being in Chicago, reasonable expectations, and being in the B1G.

cc-1.jpg

ryan-field1540__ScaleMaxWidthWzc3MF0.jpg

Northwestern_RyanField_Rendering_CreditNU.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That should help. Getting academia types involved or meddling in sports. I'd tell them this. Just use the $50M this school gets from the BTN contract and go away....

I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University.

Wm F Buckley

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

NW is an academic institution and that is their priority.

Maybe....but sports and the revenue from sports pays their bills too for their research and studies....and all those new buildings popping up all over Evanston and other college campuses. It's always driven academia crazy that sports can generate in 1 season a lifetime of research that 100 professors could ever generate.

Much like our past Presidents at IU....when the academia folks get involved the sports suffer.

58 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University.

Wm F Buckley

That's a good one and will have to remember it. I have some academia types peppered in my family and extended family...just not my cup of tea. 

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2023 at 1:11 PM, Seeking6 said:

That's like saying why do these kids have to go to classes? Well it's a school. Sorry, but the president of the school (who may or may not be an academic) is going to have a say in sports just like they have a say in other areas of the school that they don't have a background in. A president is a leader, they don't have to "know" everything to be a good leader. I would definitely say this guy screwed up and might be a bad leader, but part of his job is to oversee the entire school. And most schools don't have 2000 faculty members, the bloat at colleges is in administration, not academia. Check out IU's  staff directory for athletics alone (if you have the patience, lots of scrolling): https://iuhoosiers.com/staff-directory The blur between college and professional sports is already tough to navigate, but if coaches and ADs working at schools want school officials to butt out, then they should probably look at getting into professional sports. No academics there. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow NCAA.....way to drop the hammer. UT under Pruitt committed hundreds of violations. Penalties today. No postseason ban, 5 years of probation and a $8M fine.

Basically a stern finger pointing from your Mom or Dad had more flex. Just go away NCAA.

Meh.  The Vols were just trying to keep pace with 'Bama and UGA.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/14/2023 at 11:49 AM, Seeking6 said:

Wow NCAA.....way to drop the hammer. UT under Pruitt committed hundreds of violations. Penalties today. No postseason ban, 5 years of probation and a $8M fine.

Basically a stern finger pointing from your Mom or Dad had more flex. Just go away NCAA.

Think I saw they had to vacate a couple seasons worth of wins. Does that mean we didn't lose to the Vols in that bowl game? Still hate that we gave that game away so I'm not feeling any better.  

• Like 2