Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

37 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Luckily a lot of our tougher games have already happened and the schedule is more home-friendly in the back stretch. Not playing at places like Rutgers and Illinois helps too. 

You’ve already played Minnesota and Nebraska twice, how much easier can it get?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Purdue isn’t really the type to run away from a team…they grind out wins. The important thing is that they do win though….and that’s all that matters…last two minutes of the game they usually execute.

That eventually catches up to you though. For instance, if it’s close late against us and it comes down to who is going to make a play between TJD and anyone else, I like our odds. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Meant more along the lines of home versus away. Toughest remaining road games are at IU, at Michigan, and at Wisconsin. Don’t play at Illinois, at Rutgers, or at Iowa. 

According to torvik, you guys have had the second easiest schedule in the big ten so far, but have the second most difficult remaining. I do agree that you’ve made it through some of the tougher road games (MSU, PSU, OSU), but you don’t have any gimmies the rest of the way.

• Like 1

I don't watch Purdue but I went and looked at box scores.  Edey has a grand total of two fouls in the last 3 games and 4 over the last 3.  Be interesting to go right into him and try and force calls early.  See how Purdue does with him on the bench.  They also shot poorly and had a boatload of turnovers against Maryland.  I would pressure their freshman guards.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't watch Purdue but I went and looked at box scores.  Edey has a grand total of two fouls in the last 3 games and 4 over the last 3.  Be interesting to go right into him and try and force calls early.  See how Purdue does with him on the bench.  They also shot poorly and had a boatload of turnovers against Maryland.  I would pressure their freshman guards.

Luckily Edey has done a really good job of not picking up cheap fouls. He plays drop coverage and we dare teams to beat us from mid-range. Def agree with you on pressuring the freshmen as that’s been an issue at times this year. 

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Luckily Edey has done a really good job of not picking up cheap fouls. He plays drop coverage and we dare teams to beat us from mid-range. Def agree with you on pressuring the freshmen as that’s been an issue at times this year. 

Hood-Schifino can exploit that in a major way. Mid-range is where he exels 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Would guess TJD since he’s not a threat from 3. Probably Race some too potentially. 

I think that is likely, too. If I'm IU and Eden in on TJD 1 on 1, I'm doing a lot of dribble hand offs with JHS and Galloway to put Edey in a tough spot, and also clearing out and letting TJD drive it at Edey if they choose not to double. We can see how good he is at not fouling with TJDs quickness. 

Should be able to get some kicks to the opposite wing and a quick entry to Race/Malik in the post against Gillis and Furst with no Edey to help with this type of action too. Obviously neither of them are slouches, but we should be able to get some buckets off of that. 

Basically, I'd make him work the entire time on defense then throw lots of bodies at him when we are on defense. Obviously TJD is our best bet guarding him 1 on 1, but we can't afford to pickup fouls there and TJD can't get a weak side block if he is on him. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I think that is likely, too. If I'm IU and Eden in on TJD 1 on 1, I'm doing a lot of dribble hand offs with JHS and Galloway to put Edey in a tough spot, and also clearing out and letting TJD drive it at Edey if they choose not to double. We can see how good he is at not fouling with TJDs quickness. 

Should be able to get some kicks to the opposite wing and a quick entry to Race/Malik in the post against Gillis and Furst with no Edey to help with this type of action too. Obviously neither of them are slouches, but we should be able to get some buckets off of that. 

Basically, I'd make him work the entire time on defense then throw lots of bodies at him when we are on defense. Obviously TJD is our best bet guarding him 1 on 1, but we can't afford to pickup fouls there and TJD can't get a weak side block if he is on him. 

Yep that all makes sense. Think it’ll come down to who can shoot it better from distance. If guys like Bates and Galloway are hitting their 3’s it could be a long afternoon. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Yep that all makes sense. Think it’ll come down to who can shoot it better from distance. If guys like Bates and Galloway are hitting their 3’s it could be a long afternoon. 

Yeah, I mean I honestly kind of expect each team to win at home because role players will be more likely to hit shots and make big plays on their home court. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Unfortunately, Edey is the type of big that TJD has struggled against historically. Big bigs give him trouble. Of course, he's playing better than he's ever played before so maybe that will change.

• Like 1