Rutgers Post Game

Inequality

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

I never expected us to win every game this year. I knew losing at Rutgers was a possibility. However, to constantly let them bully us the way they do when we play them really hacks me off. I’m tired of rolling over like a dog and showing them our belly. The lack of toughness was more disappointing to me today than the loss. 

And our lack of shooting bit us hard in the butt today. 

Yep. We are now sitting on 0-1 and every loss conspires against your final conference standing. 

The team needs to have an awakening on how tough you need to be in conference games.   Get out of your heads that this is a one off. This is what it has to be.  

Would have been nice to avoid a hole in the standings early.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We weren’t good enough.  Lacked physicality. Didn’t play tough enough.  We missed Jalen and needed X to step up but he didn’t like being bumped every time down and he lost his composure.  Miller Kopp was a huge plus.  

Not to mention we spent a ton of emotion on the NC game and the Hood absence was a big surprise.   

• Like 1

This is among the most frustrating games of the Mike Woodson Era. We don't lose to Rutgers because they're more talented than us, we lose because they play harder.

Positives from the game:

Kopp

TJD had a double double + 4 blocks

Defense was honestly fine, we held them to 63 points, we just didn't secure the ball well after the first attempt. 

Negatives:

Got SMOKED on the boards, absolutely pathetic. 

14 turnovers

Shot like crap, and honestly we had a lot of good looks we missed

SOFT

Only 9 assists - have to beat that type of pressure defense with more passing.

Refs were completely awful - missed plenty both ways but man do some of the really bad misses that stick out all go against us (X flagrant, X getting decapitated, TJD getting hit with no call, TJD getting hammered). Not saying any of those change the outcome but wow, unacceptable performance by the refs. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I thought from the beginning of the season that we could lose2-3 games during the non conference slate. I’m ok with that. Rhat im not ok with is losing to Rutgers. The sky is not falling but this is reality. Winning the B1G is not given to us just because we are Indiana. No one is scared of us now, at least not outside SSAH. Hopefully JHS is not out long

• Like 1

Bottom line is… they played with a higher level of energy than we did, brought the fight to us, and we didn’t knock down open looks. If it weren’t for Miller Kopp, we lose by 25+ today. 

Yes, not having JHS mattered, but we have to be able to step up when guys are out. He won’t be the last one to miss a game this season. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Can't minimize how much missing JHS hurts. It just puts so much pressure on XJ. 

Also, I know a lot of guys didn't play well, especially a few core guys, so I feel bad calling these two out, but at some point Bates and JG need to step up and be consistent. 

We don't really have the depth we keep talking about if we can't rely on these guys, especially when you're missing JHS and TJD is struggling some. 

JG is a junior at this point and Bates is a guy we need consistent offense from off the bench. Long, long way to go, but both kind of no-showed in our first two road games. 

Combined 1-12 from the floor. JG was awful on the boards.  They went after Bates on D in their game plan.

Malik’s prolific fouling hurt.  Let’s hope he learns from it because we could have used him.  Race, I don’t even know what to say but he doesn’t seem to have the energy he used to have. X was 2-11 with 6 turnovers.  They got in his head by being physical with him.  He’s a fifth year senior, come on now.

Actually, looking at the box score I don’t know how we were as close as we were.  It’s truly ugly.  

Rutgers did a great job not letting us run.  We need an answer to that because it’s so much of our offense.  They were phenomenal getting back on D.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Combined 1-12 from the floor. JG was awful on the boards.  They went after Bates on D in their game plan.

Malik’s prolific fouling hurt.  Let’s hope he learns from it because we could have used him.  Race, I don’t even know what to say but he doesn’t seem to have the energy he used to have. X was 2-11 with 6 turnovers.  They got in his head by being physical with him.  He’s a fifth year senior, come on now.

Actually, looking at the box score I don’t know how we were as close as we were.  It’s truly ugly.  

Rutgers did a great job not letting us run.  We need an answer to that because it’s so much of our offense.  They were phenomenal getting back on D.  

Pretty crazy how they managed to both crash the glass and get back on defense. Looked like a bunch of free safeties out there....

• Like 4

By the way, Race played only 17 minutes and didn’t play down the stretch even with Malik in foul trouble and JG missing on the boards.  I don’t think he played the last 10 minutes easily. JG was another who looked like he lost composure because he kept getting into it with them.  Guys, they are trying to get you out of your game and it’s working.  

I actually applaud the Race benching.  He needs much more energy.  You’re back for a sixth year, now act fully engaged.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is this game shows why the big ten has struggled in the tournament lately. In the tournament Rutgers won't be allowed to grab one hold the offensive players.

They definitely got away with a lot of that, but let's not ignore the great form tackles in the open court.

• Like 3

This was a reality check. Now forget the press clipping and get back to work. It's going to be a long season and this won't be the last loss. The intensity wasn't there all game. I didn't see the fire from TJD that I expected either. For all the grief he gets, I thought that Kopp was the only one really locked in. I don't know what is wrong with Thompson, he just looks off. I wonder if he is dealing with some injury. He's better than what we have seen. Regardless, on to the next one.

• Like 3