Rutgers Post Game

Inequality

12 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Disappointing continuing losing to that team, like really sick of it.  Also, the end of that game would have been a good time for Woodson to go nuclear about the officiating.  Take the T in a loss to make a point for games down the road.

Disagree. That sort of tirade would send a message to the team that the outcome wasn't entirely their fault, but largely due to poor officiating. Given how bad we played, I'd rather Woodson's focus be entirely on us, not the refs.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Race needs to come off the bench, maybe light a fire under him.  

The problem is that Reneau hasn't been nearly as good once the competition stepped up (he's become a foul machine), and Geronimo has been worse. So as poorly as Race has played, I still think he's our best option at the 4 at present.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Disagree. That sort of tirade would send a message to the team that the outcome wasn't really their fault, but due to poor officiating. Given how bad we played, I'd rather Woodson's focus be entirely on us, not the refs.

You’re right. This loss is solely on the team, regardless of how bad the refs were. Hopefully the loss is a wake up message for the team and everybody comes ready to play on Wednesday.

• Like 2

I think JHS being out was a bigger deal than a lot of us think... 

His skillset aside, he's a kid that oozes confidence. He came right out against UNC and showed it right away. That rubbed off on the rest and it was off to the races. 

The Simpson kid got them going yesterday when they really pulled away... He was confident and played like it. 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 8

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

His skillset aside, he's a kid that oozes confidence. He came right out against UNC and showed it right away. That rubbed off on the rest and it was off to the races. 

The Simpson kid got them going yesterday when they really pulled away... He was confident and played like it. 

One other thing that was a negative that will be potentially be a positive down the road. Malik got first hand knowledge of how road games are called in the Big 10. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He makes life a lot easier on XJ... on both ends of the court. 

Almost certain he would have been guarding McConnell. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He makes life a lot easier on XJ... on both ends of the court. 

Almost certain he would have been guarding McConnell. 

Maybe he would have blocked McConnell out on the boards too... He killed us in the first 15 minutes getting or affecting offensive rebounds... 

Oh, and one other thing about Jalen...

He's very good at recognizing defenses early. I saw that from him at Montverde. The way Rutgers was switching up their defenses we needed that. I thought there were times when we were a little confused when they went to a new look... 

• Like 3

Probably the thing that disappointed me the most was taking the lead in the 2nd half and then immediately giving up a 17-0 run.  Things like that are the mental aspect of the game.  It was like we fought hard the first 8 minutes of the second half to get to the point of taking the lead and then when we got there, we relaxed.  Problem was, Rutgers didn't.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Probably the thing that disappointed me the most was taking the lead in the 2nd half and then immediately giving up a 17-0 run.  Things like that are the mental aspect of the game.  It was like we fought hard the first 8 minutes of the second half to get to the point of taking the lead and then when we got there, we relaxed.  Problem was, Rutgers didn't.

I don’t know that we necessarily relaxed. Shortly after we took the lead, if I remember correctly, XJ had a wide open baseline 3 go half way down and pop out and then Bates missed a wide open wing 3 off of a TJD kick-out. 

During that same stretch Rutgers hit a couple contested 3's and then it snowballed from there. 

A lot of this stuff more comes down to shot making then really effort. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

Disagree. That sort of tirade would send a message to the team that the outcome wasn't entirely their fault, but largely due to poor officiating. Given how bad we played, I'd rather Woodson's focus be entirely on us, not the refs.

Nah, I am getting a technical foul if I think my team is getting jobbed.  He needs to demonstratively get into the refs' asses after the past two games.  It is partially his job to make sure his team isn't getting ripped off by the whistles.

Edit to add:  And that is not excuse making, that isn't why we lost the game but it is getting really bleeping old to be on the consistent bad side of calls.  If not for the fact that this conference prints money, from a playing standpoint for football and basketball our school would be better suited somewhere else.

Edited by IUCrazy2

On to the next one but losing to flicking Rutgers as many times in a row like we have is inexcusable if this program is going to go in the direction we want it to and I don't give a flying fig where the game is played.  They are a mid tier program at best and we need to stop wilting like a bunch of pansies when we play them.

This team has the talent to do things and crap like last night shouldn't be accepted as "oh well" this year.  I hope Woodson called them all out for being a bunch of wilting flowers to an inferior team yesterday.  The problem with this program the past two decades hasn't been beating the North Carolina's of the world, it has been dropping games like yesterday.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Everybody stunk except Kopp, so no need to rehash. But wanted to give Kopp props bc I’ve been hard on him from time to time. I’ll be sorely disappointed if we see the intensity / effort displayed today again this season. 

I don't know...We have to remember Trayce was 3 days off of a Cortisone shot for his back, and had 3 Rutgers players hanging on him most of the game...

He may not have gotten the points we're used to, but it isn't his fault other players missed wide open shots he set them up for...13-10 and 4 blocks is a pretty good line...I know he had 4 turnovers, but getting it in the post and waiting for your teammates to move to get open while you have 3 guys hacking at you will do that...

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...We have to remember Trayce was 3 days off of a Cortisone shot for his back, and had 3 Rutgers players hanging on him most of the game...

He may not have gotten the points we're used to, but it isn't his fault other players missed wide open shots he set them up for...13-10 and 4 blocks is a pretty good line...I know he had 4 turnovers, but getting it in the post and waiting for your teammates to move to get open while you have 3 guys hacking at you will do that...

I somewhat agree. We can’t win in March if everybody besides Kopp goes 1-16 from three. I’ve said that all along. Really hope it improves. But TJD had hop on his blocks…. so I’m not sure his back was in that bad of shape. Just didn’t feel like he showed up from an intensity standpoint. They made him look mediocre at best on the offensive side. And we know he’s not mediocre. Just didn’t seem interested in playing yesterday. 

• Like 1

I don’t like losing, but I think this loss will be good for us in the long run and it may have been needed. We will learn from this game. A couple points/questions that I want to make especially regarding the shooting and stretch 4 position especially since Rutgers and others have been packing the paint.

1) Does CMW shorten the leash on Geronimo and Race taking 3’s? Combined this season they are 4/27 or slightly under 15% from behind the arc. There’s no way to sugar coat it…that’s terrible. Our opponents are playing percentages and these two are not capable shooters. Each time they shoot it’s like a turnover. There are reasons Race and Geronimo are left wide open. For example, Travis Steele yelled to his players during the Miami game regarding Geronimo “He can’t shoot!” He’s not wrong and percentages and years worth of prior shooting stats prove this.

2) As others alluded to…is it time to start Malik? 

3) Although we will be smaller, Is it time to start taking minutes away from Race and Geronimo in favor of CJ Gunn? That may mean playing Kopp/Bates/Gunn together. Again, we need shooters — or at least the threat — to run offense adequately through Trayce. Simply put, a defense has to respect Gunn’s shot making ability. Each possession Race and Geronimo are behind the arc taking 3s I feel as though we might as well be playing 4 on 5 on offense. To further this point, I’m almost certain Rutgers on multiple possessions was throwing 2 additional guys at TJD.

As mentioned above, I don’t think our loss is necessarily a bad thing…need to learn and I think we will. 

Edited by Hoosier987

We definitely needs shooters butbwrvslso need guys who just know how to score. A guy you can just give the ball to and know he will get a bucket for himself or get his teammate a good look. I think JHS is that guy but we need more than 1 guy to do that.

Actually watching a lot of games I noticed there are few players who I would fall pure shooters.  When I say pure shooters I mean a guy who when they shoot you expect it to go back n and ate shocked when they miss.  I see guys who might shoot a good percentage but not with a high volume.

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That raises a good point. Why do we have two key starters experiencing severe back spasms 7-8 games into the season. 

Anyone who’s ever had them ain’t laughing 

If you come out flat versus Nebraska I’d be worried.  Losing at Rutgers in a game you missed every FT & 3 but played solid defense isn’t the end 

• Like 3