Somebody needs to get the team off social media

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3451701/checking-in-on-indiana-basketball-theyve-lost-two-games-in-a-row-annnnddddd-players-are-now-fighting-with-fans-on-instagram

Just incredibly stupid.  If they want to shut people up, they could get into the gym and practice Free Throws, put up some shots, whatever.  Arguing with people on Instagram and posting passive aggressive crap on Twitter or posting about letters you got from some rando...just stop.

Put the social media away.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Details?

Too distracted by social media criticism like below.  XJ replied then Miller Kopp, Race, and Leal all chimed in. They're looking thin skinned and unfocused, especially since this seems like a very mild criticism.

image.jpeg.a7aa79099c7e503547cee16d09c44ff4.jpeg

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Inequality said:

IUBarstool Instagram account. Look for this photo and go to the comments section. Some of the comments have been deleted but not quick enough.

DE78BF29-4770-49EC-981B-232AADE05B41.jpeg

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Too distracted by social media criticism like below.  XJ replied then Miller Kopp, Race, and Leal all chimed in. They're looking thin skinned and unfocused.

image.jpeg.a7aa79099c7e503547cee16d09c44ff4.jpeg

I'm an old fossil and dont have Instagram.  I did see the separate thread and responded there.

I'm most disappointed in th he fact it was upperclassmen that took the bait.

Not the correct way to be a leader.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The most disappointing thing is it is upperclassmen taking the bait.  

Super upperclassmen at that.  Race (23 y.o.,Class of 2017), Xavier (23 y.o., Class of 2018), and Miller (24 y.o., Class of 2018) have been around college basketball for going on 5 or 6 years.  Leal is a junior.

Things are starting to not go well and they are arguing on Instagram.  TJD is posting passive aggressive stuff about fans on Twitter.  Who is in control of the program at the moment?  Looking in from the outside, this group has all the makings of the 10 in a row Archie squad.  Woodson is 63, if this goes off the rails with these guys, he might as well leave.  He doesn't have time for a rebuild.

The guy from Rutgers was right, this team is soft.  Maybe not on the physical side but they are about as mentally soft of a group has we have had come through Indiana.  They don't like that categorization, it is on them to change the narrative.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3451701/checking-in-on-indiana-basketball-theyve-lost-two-games-in-a-row-annnnddddd-players-are-now-fighting-with-fans-on-instagram

Just incredibly stupid.  If they want to shut people up, they could get into the gym and practice Free Throws, put up some shots, whatever.  Arguing with people on Instagram and posting passive aggressive crap on Twitter or posting about letters you got from some rando...just stop.

Put the social media away.

He's a Kentucky grad trying to pull chains...

It's really kinda innocuous...

I think making a big deal out of this is funny...

Social media is a way of life for their generation... 

Don't get wrapped around the axle over it... 

• Like 5

I personally don't mind them standing up for themselves.

You think they like losing?  Giving up 21 point leads?

Social media lets anyone and everyone be casually vile to each other with no consequences or repercussions.

Like Miller Kopp replied, I doubt anyone says this stuff to their face.

It's one thing to say things like this to friends while watching the game or afterwards; it's another to post it on the internet where it actually hurts real people.

Sure, it seems like a harmless meme, but it's always at somebody's expense. 

I doubt anyone here has thousands of people making fun of their hard fought effort and calling them soft at the end of every workday.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Earl-Calloway-Brian-Evans-202575511/

Brian Evans at the 20 minute mark.  I disagree with the idea that this isn't a big deal.  It is weak and it is an indictment of the culture of the program IMO.

Same. The bird emoji from X didn’t sit well with me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rogue3542 said:

What's weak is fans who think it's okay to impugn the character and integrity of college kids because they had the audacity to lose a game fans wanted them to win.

While some folks do go overboard, these kids and this program are not above criticism. Folks thinking they are or should be lands you in this type culture.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

What's weak is fans who think it's okay to impugn the character and integrity of college kids because they had the audacity to lose a game fans wanted them to win.

That post wasn't impugning the players....the paid players.  It was super mild.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Inequality said:

While some folks do go overboard, these kids and this program are not above criticism. Folks thinking they are or should be lands you in this type culture.

No, these college students don't owe us ANYTHING. 

I'll admit, the post that seemingly set this off isn't particularly vile, but it's more the straw that broke the camel's back, really.

Saying something like "he over helps too much" is criticism.

Calling players soft and blaming them for your mood because they're losing more than you want them to is a bridge too far.

Make no mistake, this isn't just an IU problem, nor is it simply relegated to college basketball.  Social media and our overly connected culture has made too many people too comfortable with casually saying terrible things about other people.

• Like 4

Just now, rogue3542 said:

No, these college students don't owe us ANYTHING. 

I'll admit, the post that seemingly set this off isn't particularly vile, but it's more the straw that broke the camel's back, really.

Saying something like "he over helps too much" is criticism.

Calling players soft and blaming them for your mood because they're losing more than you want them to is a bridge too far.

Make no mistake, this isn't just an IU problem, nor is it simply relegated to college basketball.  Social media and our overly connected culture has made too many people too comfortable with casually saying terrible things about other people.

Their opponents are calling them soft.  Geo Baker called them out to start the year.  When you are in a high pressure performance based line of work (and they are getting paid so it is work now), you are going to have people paying attention and critiquing you.

Bitty Ball days are done when you are pulling 6 figures to put a ball through a hoop.  Sorry.  And many of the guys on the team aren't exactly kids anymore.  TJD, Race, and XJ are 23.  Kopp is 24.  I had been in a "real" job for 2 years by the time I was 24.  You know what my employer wouldn't put up with?  Me on social media talking shhh back to customers who left a bad review.

• Like 4

And I'm glad Trayce posted the letter from that idiot Tim Weaver... Just to show the sane part of our fan base the crap they have to put up with from losers...and if you look up "loser" in the dictionary, Weaver's picture would be in there...

I had interactions with "Laffy" from around the time RMK got fired through Tom Crean's early years. An out of work telemarketer that literally could not lead a pack of ants to a picnic... Yet he's questioning the leadership of a kid who's busted his hump for 4 years in our program... F*** Tim Weaver...

The only thing that concerned me is when Miller says "you wouldn't say it to our faces."

Of course they wouldn't... You're 6'7 225 lbs and have been in a strength and conditioning program for 6 or more years... The people you're posting to get winded taking a shit...

Sorry mods, but this reaction to absolutely nothing has, in the current vernacular, "triggered me." 🤬

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

let them post all they want. this season is largely over through injuries anyway, but it would be nice to let the losers expose themselves for their complete lack of mental fortitude on their way out. miller kopp scored 5 points against his former team at home as an upperclass starter and then goes and posts a "you wouldnt say that to me in real life!!" type comment lmao. nobody should remember this kid fondly.

• Like 1