Somebody needs to get the team off social media

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Somebody should just get rid of social media in general for the players, fans, and everyone in the whole wide world. 

I know I have a choice and don't have to come here so it is my fault. Saying that it was so much more enjoyable being a sports fan before social media outlets. I would get upset during games and probably say things I shouldn't but nobody else heard it.  After the game it was over and on to the next game.  Now you have to hear about it over and over. What is bad is that when we are winning like we were earlier there were very little traffic on social media

Edited by IU Scott

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm gonna jump outta this thread before I get myself banned...

But...

I'm a fan just like y'all are... I get frustrated just like you do... But, as Coach Woodson would say, "at the end of the day" the only thing sweating when I watch IU play is a beer bottle...

I don't go to classes, workouts, practices, tutoring sessions... None of that... I sit a in a nice comfy Lazy Boy and bitch about the game on HSN... 

And that's fine... I'm not big on calling out players, but there's room for criticism...and I'd bet if people did it in a respectful and responsible manner, the players wouldn't care one bit...they know when they don't play well...

And to those if you who think losing a game means more to you than it does them...

😂😂😂

Very well said, people have no right to make things personal towards anyone if they are sthletez or just regular people. How would you like for someone post things about work and how soft you are.

I posted the triangle graphic here on HSN right after the Northwestern game.  For me, it actually had very little to do with this current team.

It goes back to before some of these players were born.

When Knight decided fishing was more important than recruiting (he has admitted this).

When we hired the wrong coach again and again and again.  Each time, we hoped it would be different.  Each time, the coach got fired and we had to start the whole cycle over.   

"Be patient.  He needs to bring in his own recruits.  He needs time to install his system.  We've had injuries and transfers.  Be patient."  We've heard those things since last century. 

Each cycle of failure takes years, and we usually have nothing to show for it at the end except the pack-line defense, a new coach, and calls to be patient for another span of time.

The triangle meme fit my feelings perfectly, and still does.  There was no real or implied attack on this team.  I don't know if they're soft or not.  What I posted wasn't even about them.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I’m gonna tie this in with a comment I made in the NIL thread. Just like I hope there becomes some contingencies on keeping $$ based on quality of play, I hope there are some rules built in based on behavior. 
These guys are now raking in quite a bit of money and there needs to be some kind of repercussions for what are now essentially employees of the university 

The university is not paying the NIL money so they are no closer to being university employees than they were before NIL. People/companies paying NIL money are capable of putting behavior clauses into the contracts if they want to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

The university is not paying the NIL money so they are no closer to being university employees than they were before NIL. People/companies paying NIL money are capable of putting behavior clauses into the contracts if they want to.

But the university helps manage what NIL deals come through plus there’s no NIL deal if you’re not enrolled at the school playing for their program. It’s an interesting space

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And I'm glad Trayce posted the letter from that idiot Tim Weaver... Just to show the sane part of our fan base the crap they have to put up with from losers...and if you look up "loser" in the dictionary, Weaver's picture would be in there...

I had interactions with "Laffy" from around the time RMK got fired through Tom Crean's early years. An out of work telemarketer that literally could not lead a pack of ants to a picnic... Yet he's questioning the leadership of a kid who's busted his hump for 4 years in our program... F*** Tim Weaver...

The only thing that concerned me is when Miller says "you wouldn't say it to our faces."

Of course they wouldn't... You're 6'7 225 lbs and have been in a strength and conditioning program for 6 or more years... The people you're posting to get winded taking a shit...

Sorry mods, but this reaction to absolutely nothing has, in the current vernacular, "triggered me." 🤬

And its not just college sports its sports and social media in general.  Any time a player in any sport makes a bad play all the internet “jocks” flood their mentions on their social media accounts with hateful and vulgar shit.  We see it literally every week. Its gets even more vulgar when its non white player who makes the bad play. 

you think these athletes dont feel bad enough already? You (internet jocks) compound the issue by saying these types of things on their social media accounts

the vulgarity and threats that fans make towards athletes is made even worse with the rise in legal sports betting and fantasy football  

https://www.cbsnews.com/detroit/news/crazed-fantasy-football-fans-threaten-violence-scare-players-off-social-media/

Edited by IU247

7 hours ago, 5 championships said:

This season has very quickly gone completely off the rails… Woodson better start coaching real fast. 

He doesn't know how. Never coached a college game before coming here. Did people really expect anything different? Our program is just sad right now. And has been for wayyyy too long

Edited by DunkinDipo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Madison22 said:

I posted the triangle graphic here on HSN right after the Northwestern game.  For me, it actually had very little to do with this current team.

It goes back to before some of these players were born.

When Knight decided fishing was more important than recruiting (he has admitted this).

When we hired the wrong coach again and again and again.  Each time, we hoped it would be different.  Each time, the coach got fired and we had to start the whole cycle over.   

"Be patient.  He needs to bring in his own recruits.  He needs time to install his system.  We've had injuries and transfers.  Be patient."  We've heard those things since last century. 

Each cycle of failure takes years, and we usually have nothing to show for it at the end except the pack-line defense, a new coach, and calls to be patient for another span of time.

The triangle meme fit my feelings perfectly, and still does.  There was no real or implied attack on this team.  I don't know if they're soft or not.  What I posted wasn't even about them.

You win post of the month and are a strong early entry for post of the year

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IU247 said:

And its not just college sports its sports and social media in general.  Any time a player in any sport makes a bad play all the internet “jocks” flood their mentions on their social media accounts with hateful and vulgar shit.  We see it literally every week. Its gets even more vulgar when its non white player who makes the bad play. 

you think these athletes dont feel bad enough already? You (internet jocks) compound the issue by saying these types of things on their social media accounts

the vulgarity and threats that fans make towards athletes is made even worse with the rise in legal sports betting and fantasy football  

https://www.cbsnews.com/detroit/news/crazed-fantasy-football-fans-threaten-violence-scare-players-off-social-media/

Race is 100% irrelevant when it comes to the vulgarity of criticisms on the internet.

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

Barstool accounts are trash. Unfortunately, Barstool is also a popular brand because a lot of sports fans don't have a problem with and even enjoy acting like trash on the internet. You can see some of that rationalization in this thread. On its face the image seems a harmless meme. When you're subjected to similar images day in and out, the impact compounds.

Sure it'd be great if guys could stay off social media. Woody has said as much. But that's easier said for someone of his generation, and I'm guessing for most of you reading this board, than it is done by today's players. I'm 40, and was in college when Facebook was just kicking off. When I first met my wife we didn't exchange phone numbers, we traded friend requests. For someone in college today, social media has literally always been a part of how they interact with their peers. Yet whenever they log in, they see themselves tagged in any number of brutal comments from people they've never met, and who have no idea what goes in to being a Div I athlete.

So let them be human. Let them have the same defensive reaction you or I would, especially at that age. I promise their time on Instagram isn't keeping them from practicing free throws, or any other nonsense complaint like that. If anything, I'm encouraged to see the team come together like this, and have each others' backs. Would that our fans could circle the wagons the same way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Barstool accounts are trash. Unfortunately, Barstool is also a popular brand because a lot of sports fans don't have a problem with and even enjoy acting like trash on the internet. You can see some of that rationalization in this thread. On its face the image seems a harmless meme. When you're subjected to similar images day in and out, the impact compounds.

Sure it'd be great if guys could stay off social media. Woody has said as much. But that's easier said for someone of his generation, and I'm guessing for most of you reading this board, than it is done by today's players. I'm 40, and was in college when Facebook was just kicking off. When I first met my wife we didn't exchange phone numbers, we traded friend requests. For someone in college today, social media has literally always been a part of how they interact with their peers. Yet whenever they log in, they see themselves tagged in any number of brutal comments from people they've never met, and who have no idea what goes in to being a Div I athlete.

So let them be human. Let them have the same defensive reaction you or I would, especially at that age. I promise their time on Instagram isn't keeping them from practicing free throws, or any other nonsense complaint like that. If anything, I'm encouraged to see the team come together like this, and have each others' backs. Would that our fans could circle the wagons the same way.

Exactly. My only reaction to this whole thing is “Yep, Barstool is still trash.” Pretty harmless post sure, but it would be best if accounts like this didn’t exist. Just lowest common denominator stuff. 

Also I don’t care what the players do or do not do on social media. It’s a part of life for people that age. As much as we would all like to return us to Mayberry, it’s just not happening. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Work in a restaurant as a server, have someone leave a bad review about you on yelp or whatever, and then react the way these guys did to that customer.  See how long you still have a job.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Also I don’t care what the players do or do not do on social media. It’s a part of life for people that age. As much as we would all like to return us to Mayberry, it’s just not happening. 

Let’s not forget social media is also a big part of NIL

• Like 3

What's odd to me about this whole dustup is this meme really isn't even about the present team as much as it's about the past couple of decades, all the way back to some of RMK's teams in the late 90s. In that time, we've had one NC run in 2002, a few B1G titles, and a whole lot of underachieving compared to the talent that has been brought in.

I mean, I still have one of those "We're Back" shirts from something like a decade ago that is stuffed in a drawer or box somewhere.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Exactly. My only reaction to this whole thing is “Yep, Barstool is still trash.” Pretty harmless post sure, but it would be best if accounts like this didn’t exist. Just lowest common denominator stuff. 

The IU Barstool account is particularly bad. The kid who runs it probably can't walk and chew gum at the same time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Work in a restaurant as a server, have someone leave a bad review about you on yelp or whatever, and then react the way these guys did to that customer.  See how long you still have a job.

Perhaps. But that example reads to me as a cautionary tale about the disposable way we treat that workforce. I certainly don't consider it to be a guideline for the empathy - or lack thereof - we should have for someone being dragged online.