Wisconsin Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Saturday, January 14th 1:00 pm EST 

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: CBS

The Badgers come into Bloomington on a 2 game losing streak.

image.png.fea4c59b18ae7a141acea5d537dd1fcd.png

image.png.9fc3f6d84139e6df1c0e40cd201a3a49.png

Still iffy to whether Tyler Wahl, their leading scorer, plays or not. Day to day with an ankle injury...Carter Gilmore has been serviceable starting in his place. Chucky Hepburn and Steven Crowl have been carrying the load in his absence averaging 18 and 20 points in the 2 games respectively. Max Klesmit averages 7 PPG as senior transfer from Wofford, and Jordan Davis (Johnny's twin) round out the starting 5. 

Indiana native Conner Essigegian (Central Noble High School) has been a plesant surprise off the bench for the Badgers, averaging over 10 PPG and shooting 46% from 3. Marcus Ilver is the only other bench player who gets much time.

Hepburn is a lot like Boo Buie, except he's more consistent. Very quick, and his confidence level is very high right now. I think we'll have trouble staying in front of him. The kind of guy that XJ usually handles...And he's shooting 49% from 3. You also have to be honest on Crowl...He shoots the 3 at 30%, but he does take them and can make them.

Wisconsin is a good team. They play the usual Wisconsin type basketball...Very tough, hard nosed, and borderline dirty. We have a chance here, but our defense, particularly on Hepburn, has to show up. They're 6th in DRtg, 8th in ORtg, and 10th NRtg...

Let's go Hoosiers! Let's get this one!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mulcahy did...Kris Murray did too...

But he didn't practice yesterday according to this article

Maybe Gard thinks the way we've been playing it would be better to save him for Penn State at home next week...

I don't read much into the practice thing. It was reported during the PSU game that Trayce isn't practicing much. 

Essegian is an example of being a perfect fit for a team/program.  The kid wouldn't be in the rotation for half the teams in the Big Ten or 20 of the Top 25 teams.

Yet, at Wisconsin, he's averaging double figures as a freshman.  Good recruiting by the Wisconsin staff, and good decision on the kid to choose the right program.

I like seeing Indiana High School kids do well, regardless of where they go for college.

• Like 8

The wife and I will be in Bloomington for this one. When I picked the game, I was figuring IU would be good and WI should be a winnable game. Always more fun to see a win then a loss. Hope we can get some focus and intensity back to come out with the W tomorrow or I'll have a long drive home.

• Like 3

A few tidbits:

In 8 seasons as UW head coach, Greg Gard has won two Big Ten regular season titles and has twice been named Big Ten coach of the year.

Wisconsin is 24-3 against Indiana since 2007-08.

Indiana native Connor Essegian was ranked 226th coming out of high school.

Indiana is favored to win this game by both KenPom and Sagarin.

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

The wife and I will be in Bloomington for this one. When I picked the game, I was figuring IU would be good and WI should be a winnable game. Always more fun to see a win then a loss. Hope we can get some focus and intensity back to come out with the W tomorrow or I'll have a long drive home.

Maybe your presence will be the good luck they need. If they win, you may be stuck wearing the same underwear the rest of the season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm glad you guys are as positive as you are. Not me.

Until there are some MAJOR changes to this lineup I don't see us getting any better than what we've been for all the losses.

Not my style to be this negative, but I'm also a realist. I'd be interested to hear what you guys say is the catalyst that will change how we play tomorrow vs how we've played for the past 2 weeks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DWB said:

I'm glad you guys are as positive as you are. Not me.

Until there are some MAJOR changes to this lineup I don't see us getting any better than what we've been for all the losses.

Not my style to be this negative, but I'm also a realist. I'd be interested to hear what you guys say is the catalyst that will change how we play tomorrow vs how we've played for the past 2 weeks.

What changes would you like to see in the lineup?

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What changes would you like to see in the lineup?

I don't want to open pandora's box of guys claiming I'm crazy, don't know what the hell I'm talking about, yada, yada, yada.

But...since you asked...

To my eyes we are not playing with enough intensity, not getting after it, and I'm not sure we've set a screen (other than a high ball screen 25'+ from the bucket) in a month. And the screens that do get set are not utilized properly by the ball handler. If you look at the way AZ used their screens, vs how we use ours, we're still in kindergarten, they're in college.

I'd remove Kopp and JG from the starting lineup and use them to give other guys a blow. I'm not crazy about Bates, esp on defense, but he is decent on offense. I'd play Gunn some more, I'd play Duncomb to rest TJD, and leave Malik at the 4. I'd bring back Gallo to the starting line up because he understands the game, and has a better motor than anyone on this team. And (this is where I'll get killed), I'd play Leal with some meaningful minutes and tell him he has a green light.

Right now JHS is trying too hard, esp after the NW game, but I think he's probably tied with TJD for the most important player on the floor. (doesn't mean he's the best player necessarily, but he is important on the floor. Just got to get him to slow down a ½ gear on his passing. Mainly because the other guys are usually not ready for his passes (see JG film)

Ok...let the stoning begin !

Edited by DWB
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

I don't want to open pandora's box of guys claiming I'm crazy, don't know what the hell I'm talking about, yada, yada, yada.

But...since you asked...

To my eyes we are not playing with enough intensity, not getting after it, and I'm not sure we've set a screen (other than a high ball screen 25'+ from the bucket) in a month. And the screens that do get set are not utilized properly by the ball handler. If you look at the way AZ used their screens, vs how we use ours, we're still in kindergarten, they're in college.

I'd remove Kopp and JG from the starting lineup and use them to give other guys a blow. I'm not crazy about Bates, esp on defense, but he is decent on offense. I'd play Gunn some more, I'd play Duncomb to rest TJD, and leave Malik at the 4. I'd bring back Gallo to the starting line up because he understands the game, and has a better motor than anyone on this team. And (this is where I'll get killed), I'd play Leal with some meaningful minutes and tell him he has a green light.

Right now JHS is trying too hard, esp after the NW game, but I think he's probably tied with TJD for the most important player on the floor. (doesn't mean he's the best player necessarily, but he is important on the floor. Just got to get him to slow down a ½ gear on his passing. Mainly because the other guys are usually not ready for his passes (see JG film)

Ok...let the stoning begin !

So it'd be

Trayce

Malik

Bates

Galloway

JHS?

I think that is reasonable...

But, you're right in thinking that I don't think Leal will be in line for minutes...

57 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Maybe your presence will be the good luck they need. If they win, you may be stuck wearing the same underwear the rest of the season.

I've tried wearing the same IU socks and shirts this year and it hasn't worked. Figure every teams play above and below their ability over the course of a season. It would be nice to see WI with a subpar game coupled with a better than expected game from IU. This team really needs a win heading into this next stretch of games so hopefully they come out on fire.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DWB said:

I do think intensity and focus is a major piece of the puzzle. We came out intense vs NC and look what happened. Same thing at Iowa (until Race got injured). The guys need to see some shots fall and get some confidence. On offense, letting the guys play is not working so we do need more structure (and screens) in the half court.