Ohio State Post Game Thread

KDB

Earlier a poster said it was a well officiated game. For the most part I agree. 

But...Okaparole or whatever his name is, set about 100 moving screens and NONE of them were ever called. Trey has to be black and blue from this guy leaning into him with his shoulder, knee, thigh, whatever he had available to take Trey out. I saw one screen where his feet were 5' apart. Legal screen is no wider than shoulder width.

When you guys watch the replay, keep an eye on that big guy from OSU you'll see what I mean.

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

We need his ability to break down the defense, always, as well.  

Yeah. He really don’t have anyone that consistently get all the way to the rim.

I agree with everyone saying his role will be different, but he could honestly be the guy that puts this team over the top if the staff and XJ handle this right. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, DWB said:

Earlier a poster said it was a well officiated game. For the most part I agree. 

But...Okaparole or whatever his name is, set about 100 moving screens and NONE of them were ever called. Trey has to be black and blue from this guy leaning into him with his shoulder, knee, thigh, whatever he had available to take Trey out. I saw one screen where his feet were 5' apart. Legal screen is no wider than shoulder width.

When you guys watch the replay, keep an eye on that big guy from OSU you'll see what I mean.

I don’t disagree, but during one of the mic’d up sessions Holtman got asked “would you want us calling that on you?” about something Race or TJD did down low, I think loving screens fall into a similar category. You could call something on a lot of screens, but they typically only do on really egregious moving screens. 

I lied earlier sorry gang. One more comment. If IU could ever find it in the budget just to sign Gus Johnson to a personal services contract to every single one of our games I'd be fine with it.

He just loves IU and us as fans....and coming from a Michigan guy. My first recollection was when we raced Illinois out of the gym in 2002 but man he loves some Assembly Hall. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t disagree, but during one of the mic’d up sessions Holtman got asked “would you want us calling that on you?” about something Race or TJD did down low, I think loving screens fall into a similar category. You could call something on a lot of screens, but they typically only do on really egregious moving screens. 

I thought the miced up stuff was interesting. 
I’d actually like to see more of that. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

Malik is just a tick slow footed.. (I do think he can become more than adequate there this offseason in the weight room)... but, that isn't his main issue defensively.. 

He opens up and tries to body guys too often rather than just be 6'9 and take a decent angle to cut someone off. 

Giving up contested 12fters is going to get us beat. Maybe don't let someone hit 2 in a row from there? But still.. I'm more than fine with giving up that kind of shot. 

He needs to be able to force a counter-move more regularly and then the best shot blocker in our program's history can usually alter or block those counter moves from the weakside. 

another summer in the weight room, lose the baby fat and he goes to another level.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I lied earlier sorry gang. One more comment. If IU could ever find it in the budget just to sign Gus Johnson to a personal services contract to every single one of our games I'd be fine with it.

He just loves IU and us as fans....and coming from a Michigan guy. My first recollection was when we raced Illinois out of the gym in 2002 but man he loves some Assembly Hall. 

Oh Gus makes $6 million a year. Can he coach Football too and we might be able to swing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

“The Carnegie Hall of college basketball.”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I can read and do math. You didn't specify big 10 in your post and the post you quoted had no turnover statistics. You only provided 6.5.  Unlike you, I don't care enough to know how many turnovers 1 guy has every game. There is more to the game than one statistical category. How many of his turnovers led to points anyway?  Probably wouldn't have mattered in those 2 games. 

XJ can’t turn it over at the rate he was turning it over in Big10 play when he returns. I think we can all agree on that. I just hope he assimilates himself into the winning culture when he comes back. Because he hasn’t always been a solid decision maker. He can’t be trying to get his. But I trust Woody to keep that from happening. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

XJ can’t turn it over at the rate he was turning it over in Big10 play when he returns. I think we can all agree on that. I just hope he assimilates himself into the winning culture when he comes back. Because he hasn’t always been a solid decision maker. He can’t be trying to get his. But I trust Woody to keep that from happening. 

JHS and x have same TO average (2.8), but JHS averages 5 more minutes per game.  But you are right this is a factor.

I think other reasons say make him and off guard or wing.  The reasons are his defense and decent 3.  Think he would be a big threat off the ball to shoot or drive (hopefully not to cough it up).  The other team would have to pay lots of attention to him.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I can read and do math. You didn't specify big 10 in your post and the post you quoted had no turnover statistics. You only provided 6.5.  Unlike you, I don't care enough to know how many turnovers 1 guy has every game. There is more to the game than one statistical category. How many of his turnovers led to points anyway?  Probably wouldn't have mattered in those 2 games. 

You cant read because I was responding to a post about Big 10 stats for conference games only. 

Coaches Poll: 1949 to 2022 Final All-Time College Basketball Rankings

1 Kentucky 1030

2 North Carolina 997

3 Duke 855

4 Kansas 834

5 UCLA 754

6 Louisville 546

7 Indiana 495

8 Michigan State 465

9 Arizona 461

10 Syracuse 433

11 Michigan 395

12 Cincinnati 370

13 Villanova 362

14 Ohio State 357

15 Illinois 352

16 Marquette 346

17 Maryland 317

18 Kansas State 304

19 Notre Dame 302

20 UConn 300

21 Arkansas 299

22 Georgetown 297

23 Purdue 291

24 Utah 288

25 NC State 271

1 hour ago, Coach Shep said:

Coaches Poll: 1949 to 2022 Final All-Time College Basketball Rankings

1 Kentucky 1030

2 North Carolina 997

3 Duke 855

4 Kansas 834

5 UCLA 754

6 Louisville 546

7 Indiana 495

8 Michigan State 465

9 Arizona 461

10 Syracuse 433

11 Michigan 395

12 Cincinnati 370

13 Villanova 362

14 Ohio State 357

15 Illinois 352

16 Marquette 346

17 Maryland 317

18 Kansas State 304

19 Notre Dame 302

20 UConn 300

21 Arkansas 299

22 Georgetown 297

23 Purdue 291

24 Utah 288

25 NC State 271

What does this even mean?

You are a troll. You only crawl out from under your bridge to badger XJ. This only happens when you may have a bit of a leg to stand on just to try to gloat that you may have a point in a single circumstance, but you disappear the other 99 times where you would look like a fool.

Everyone block him so he can carry on a conversation by himself like Steven Glansberg.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1