Michigan Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

Lots of talent with a "meh" coach.  He's not demonstrably bad like Penny Hardaway, but I've yet to see why he was expected to be an NBA coach.  Good at getting and keeping talent, but I haven't seen him do much with it beyond the initial honeymoon phase.

That being said, I expect to see Michigan jacked up about the opportunity to knock mighty IU down a peg or two.  IU has had a nice run, but (outside of Zavier and Illinois) they've not shown much fortitude away from Bloomington so I am not going in expecting a great result.  Michigan has enough talent to blow away very good teams.  They've just been wildly inconsistent, probably due to their youth and the aforementioned coaching.

MI 78

IU 62

Michigan is one of the Big Ten teams I really don’t like. Oh wait. I don’t like any of them. 😂

That being said, I really want to see our guys continue their focused effort and play on the road. After the Maryland game, I’m cautiously optimistic at best. Road woes is the next key hurdle for our program I believe. 

• Haha 2

Unofficial Depth/Injury

WOLVERINES! WOLVERINES! Oh wait, this isn’t Red Dawn. Michigan is in the same spot last year in my opinion, they have had a up and down season sitting at 13-10 and 9-3 at home. Starting 5 consists of, 7’1 260 C Dickinson (18.1 PPG, we all know him), 6’8 215 G Jett Howard (Straight up scorer, 38.8% 3P), 6’4 195 Kobe Bufkin (Playing well recently), 5’11 160 G Dug McDaniel (replaced Llewelyn), and 6’7 215 F Terrance Williams (2nd best rebounder on Michigan). They replaced 4 starters from last year’s Sweet 16 team. From what I have seen, Michigan isn’t bad at staying away from fouls only averaging 9.9 fouls in Conference play. Michigan likes to play about 7-8 deep judging by the last previous games and minutes distributions. However, the starters do play pretty heavy minutes in games in marquee matchups. However, this game will not be a cakewalk, they have talent to compete. Add to it, they are super desperate right now, which might be interesting on Saturday.

The names I usually see coming off the bench is 6’7 205 G Joey Baker (43% 3P),  6’10 230 F Tarris Reed Jr, and 6’8 240 F Will Teschetter. And sometimes 6’7 225 G Jace Howard. There has been a couple of times where Michigan only played 6 deep (In quality minutes).

Injury report-

F Will Teschetter is questionable for the Nebraska (as of now), as he has missed 3 straight games to an undisclosed illness

G Jaelin Llewelyn- former starter is out for the season

Edited by Hoosierfan1901
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know you watch a lot of Big 10 games... Have you seen Tschetter play? He's kinda goofy... And his basketball shorts are in the Speedo range... 

He doesn’t do too much, had 17 minutes against Purdue and had a career high of 7 points against Iowa. Then again, he is a Freshman and is probably just used as an extra body for now. We will see if he plays or does anything tonight, seems like Michigan fans like him

Edited by Hoosierfan1901
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Would like to mention that we haven’t beaten Michigan at Crisler in 7 years 

I’m happy with the progress this team and program have made this year, and I’m confident we CAN with this game, but I’m not convinced we’ve developed the “consistent” mental toughness necessary on the road. Played pretty poorly in the past two at Minny and MD. Hopefully we come out like we did in the other Assembly Hall.

• Like 2