Michigan post game

Madison22

5 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Gutsy win. Tried to hand it away on offense late but it was a fight uphill all the way. Great D late.

Must figure out how to get TJD more rest. The last two games he was very tired at the end. Shows up at the line.

I’m very curious to know if you take him out let’s say 5 minutes a game how many points we would lose vs leaving him in and him missing free throws. I understand in this instance he missed one late but if he doesn’t play all 40 minutes we may not be to the point of leading late.

Appears a couple here dont think the D was good today. 21 points in the first 10 mins. 40 given up the last 30 mins. ggreat effort.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

Appears a couple here dont think the D was good today. 21 points in the first 10 mins. 40 given up the last 30 mins. ggreat effort.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Yup, and they scored 93 just a few nights prior. We were fantastic defensively after the first 10 minutes. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’m very curious to know if you take him out let’s say 5 minutes a game how many points we would lose vs leaving him in and him missing free throws. I understand in this instance he missed one late but if he doesn’t play all 40 minutes we may not be to the point of leading late.

I can't disagree with the what if question. They could lose if he doesn't play 40 last night. But the bigger question is, what do you do in the conf tourney? Can he play 40 in every game for two or three days straight?

Then I wonder, if you can't trust Banks or Gunn to play now, can you play them in the post season? LD is apparently done. No guarantees on Race. Geronimo visibly working on the calf last night. 

It's asking a lot of seven guys to finish up the season and two tournaments, so somethings got to give.

1 minute ago, Euroclydon said:

I can't disagree with the what if question. They could lose if he doesn't play 40 last night. But the bigger question is, what do you do in the conf tourney? Can he play 40 in every game for two or three days straight?

Then I wonder, if you can't trust Banks or Gunn to play now, can you play them in the post season? LD is apparently done. No guarantees on Race. Geronimo visibly working on the calf last night. 

It's asking a lot of seven guys to finish up the season and two tournaments, so somethings got to give.

Hopefully we can get healthy. So much of this is about health. Offensively we can get away with TJD sitting down if we have XJ, Race and JG back and healthy. 

Sit TJD for 5 minutes a half but do it with JHS and XJ in and we can get by offensively. Will we get healthy? Who knows, but geez it would help a lot. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

On a positive note Indiana isn't the only team dealing with the exhaustion from Big Ten play. We also should be getting back XJ, hopefully a healthy Race and a healthy Geronimo. If we can weather the exhaustion we're gonna be good come tournament time.

Another thing to note is that our next 3 games are against NW, ILL and MSU. Those teams don't have the big men to guard TJD 1 on 1. This 3 game stretch will actually give TJD a rest because he will be constantly double-teamed forcing him to make passes to our open shooters. Assuming our shooters hit shots he will probably get some rest. 

That's the thing about schedules within the schedule. As you and others have said for TJD to go up against those 3, being double teamed and still put up these numbers and win all 3....one of the more incredible personal seasons I've watched since honestly Jay Edwards.

Only difference between TJD's run and what Edwards did is that Edwards hit about what felt like 5 game winners.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

Sorry to quote myself, but really confused how the above post got a "sad" emoji from a poster and a "confused" emoji from another?!?!

We held Michigan to 61 points in their gym. They scored 93 points just three nights ago. 

I remember in years past, defensive efforts would get Assembly Hall in a ruckus and cause a standing ovation.  Now days, after 2.5 decades on a roller coaster with no identity or consistency,  we can't appreciate a win that showed a lot of guts.  There used to be a saying, no guts, no glory.  Must have skipped a generation or 2. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Which is why the ridiculous reactions to our 3 game skid were always outlandish. 

The trouble is, when you're in the middle of the 3 game skid, you don't know what the future holds.  At that point, we were 3-6 against legitimate opponents and had dropped 5 in a row against real competition.  I think it's fair to start thinking the "who you are" portion is what was getting beat during that 5 game skid.  At 3-6 with 5 losses in a row (ignoring cupcakes), why is it outlandish to be concerned with the rest of the season?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, HoosierDoc said:

The trouble is, when you're in the middle of the 3 game skid, you don't know what the future holds.  At that point, we were 3-6 against legitimate opponents and had dropped 5 in a row against real competition.  I think it's fair to start thinking the "who you are" portion is what was getting beat during that 5 game skid.  At 3-6 with 5 losses in a row (ignoring cupcakes), why is it outlandish to be concerned with the rest of the season?

Because its 3 games? 

You guys doubling down on this is pretty crazy to me. 

Edited by btownqb

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I know these kids are raised in a world that most don't know. Listening to TJD and JHS in post game hallway....just smooth and consistent. Even if they give the Jeter answers I'm cool with that. Phenomenal road win. Now onto Northwestern and those 312/773 jag offs.

Lucky I'm a 630 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Between friends and family I've got them all covered....312/773/630/847/815.....I just want payback to the North Shore. My buddy lives in Winnetka and he can't wait for this game. He's surrounded by Cats. 

Even though it's Northwestern, a win would be huge in separating ourselves from them. 

Know plenty of NW and IL people that will be nice to see put in their place. 

PS - you missed 708. Don't leave out the south burbs! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Because its 3 games? 

You guys doubling down on this is pretty crazy to me. 

Yeah, but as Bill Polian used to say "The past is prologue".  We have a bit of PTSD after the Archie era.  I think we fans are gradually gaining confidence that those (dark) days are behind us.  The packline was an unmitigated failure but now our defense is good and allows us to win some "ugly" games (unlike in the past).

Still, we are a team with weaknesses (as are all teams).  TJD covers a lot of them up and JHS can too.  I expect a couple of portal injections after the season to correct some of our needs.