IL @ IU post game thread

Reacher

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No.  It was a fluke it worked last time. 

I was more going by the 2 10 second calls it cost us...With our short guard rotation I thought maybe Underwood might take a shot or 2...

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

TJD got dunked on by Mayer? 

The dunk Mayer get at 1630 is a transition defense. There wasn't another dunk in the 2nd. 

I've watched the 2nd half 3 times now... Trey does fine on Mayer, but Miller was fine the whole day.. he just got 3 fouls really early in the 2nd half, so they used Trey. 

Regardless.. defense isn't a one on one concept. It's a team concept. 

I rewatched too, and you're spot on...Miller ducked under a couple of screens in the first that maybe he shouldn't have (and Hummel even said something about it) but other than that, he was solid...And his steal at the end was huge...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

TJD got dunked on by Mayer? 

The dunk Mayer get at 1630 is a transition defense. There wasn't another dunk in the 2nd. 

I've watched the 2nd half 3 times now... Trey does fine on Mayer, but Miller was fine the whole day.. he just got 3 fouls really early in the 2nd half, so they used Trey. 

Regardless.. defense isn't a one on one concept. It's a team concept. 

No shit....go watch a 4th time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was more going by the 2 10 second calls it cost us...With our short guard rotation I thought maybe Underwood might take a shot or 2...

I rewatched too, and you're spot on...Miller ducked under a couple of screens in the first that maybe he shouldn't have (and Hummel even said something about it) but other than that, he was solid...And his steal at the end was huge...

I think he had two didnt he? 

The one TJD threw of Epps, MK originally tipped, as well.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why would I need to do that? 

Kopp leaving goode for 3 in the corner, Kopp fouling Mayer shooting a 3, Kopp leaving his man on the last shot leaving him wide open from 3. Nice steal though. Went back and listened to the radio call. ES praising Woodson for moving Kopp off Mayer for Galloway, saved the game. But you're right.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Kopp leaving goode for 3 in the corner, Kopp fouling Mayer shooting a 3, Kopp leaving his man on the last shot leaving him wide open from 3. Nice steal though. Went back and listened to the radio call. ES praising Woodson for moving Kopp off Mayer for Galloway, saved the game. But you're right.

What exactly do you think I'm arguing here? Geeesh man. 

All I pointed out was what happened in the 2nd half? 

Kopp didn't foul Mayer, but sure. I'm right, about what? I haven't argued anything. 

Edited by btownqb

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Was anybody else shocked that beyond the last IU possession, Illinois NEVER pressed us full court? 

I was hoping for some full court pressure. Possibly with TSJ out, Rodgers and Melendez under the weather and Goode still getting back in game shape they felt they didn't have enough bodies to do that. And also Illinois had the lead for the majority of the game so not really much need.

2 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

I was hoping for some full court pressure. Possibly with TSJ out, Rodgers and Melendez under the weather and Goode still getting back in game shape they felt they didn't have enough bodies to do that. And also Illinois had the lead for the majority of the game so not really much need.

Dont forget the guy with the hangnail couldnt get his hand up to guard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2nd half 1900- Galloway doesn't contain Epps. 2pts ILL

445- transition defense, Trey doesn't pick up the ball soon enough, commits a foul on Mayer. 2pts ILL 

You can disect it anyway you want. Kopp and TG are both good defenders. Our defense as a whole is a good unit, especially with the 2nd best individual defender being out. 

9 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Well.. other thing.. Danga, Coleman battled some foul trouble... 

The more you press, the more those dudes are exposed on the back end. Pressing could have, if Indiana handled it well, resulted in your bigs being left on an island vs TJD and TJD would have space to operate at that point, as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

2nd half 1900- Galloway doesn't contain Epps. 2pts ILL

445- transition defense, Trey doesn't pick up the ball soon enough, commits a foul on Mayer. 2pts ILL 

You can disect it anyway you want. Kopp and TG are both good defenders. Our defense as a whole is a good unit, especially with the 2nd best individual defender being out. 

Blue and I werent talking D skills of players when you jumped in . We were talking about who was on Mayer in the 2nd half.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

The more you press, the more those dudes are exposed on the back end. Pressing could have, if Indiana handled it well, resulted in your bigs being left on an island vs TJD and TJD would have space to operate at that point, as well. 

I was thinking if we did break it, and attacked, yeah, it would be a turkey shoot for Trayce...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

No.  It was a fluke it worked last time. 

Those first, what, 4 or 5 games after Race went down, we had some some doozies in the back court, 10 second calls.  It's been a while since that has happened but I think it was the Maryland game, they so effectively screwed up our flow with their pressure.  But yeah,  with the lead, not sure UI needed to but I would have added some token 3/4 pressure off and on with an emphasis on not getting beat back either.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But Edey has more blocks than fouls 😢