IL @ IU post game thread

Reacher

Glad IU won!  However, I said it during the game and I’ll say it again now.  This team is just frustrating to watch.  Too many turnovers, no consistent second scorer, gives up far too many offensive rebounds…..I could go on.  But, they have Trayce and play pretty good defense (when oops threes don’t fall).  Can they win on the road or on a neutral court?  Can they beat MSU in Lansing?  I love their heart, but without a healthy XJ, just how far can they go?

Nice, gritty win when you weren’t playing with any kind of spark.  Hallmark of a good team.  Woody is finding wins where we didn’t in years past.  

Miller Kopp hit some huge shots today.  But, notice that AGAIN he played crucial defense at the end.  He’s done this several times.  At some point he’s abolished any theory that it’s a fluke.  He has stepped up at the end of the games on the defensive end.  

Fino did not have a great game for 38 minutes. His throwaway coming up the court (I think coming out of the timeout no less) was absolutely ludicrous and just shocking in the idiocy and magnitude of it considering the circumstances.  BUT, the real takeaway is that as a freshman, he came back down and hit a humongous, absolutely critical jumper and then ditto on two free throws.  Instead of going into the fetal position after making an unforgivable play, he literally made difference-making points.  He refused to be the reason why we lost.  

We are at a critical juncture in Tamar Bates’ career with the way the NCAA is structured now.   Everyone sees the enticing high ceiling.  We really could have used some electric scoring off the wing.   Woody has steadfastly given him every opportunity to stop being erratic and step forward.  He’s got some huge games here the rest of the way, or I’m afraid Woody is going to hit the portal hard for an athletic wing who can go get buckets.  

Hat tip to Mayer.  He’s a very nice player.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

IMO he didn’t on the block but what I saw on the big screen he did it right before. I’d like to see another relay of the full play.

I also saw the second angle from what appeared to be more from behind Fino and from that angle it did not appear that his arm touched Epps at all. Agree with the view from the first angle

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

One other thing...

I love these close games...Gets the blood pumping! I don't mind and occasional easy win (like our first meeting with the Illini) but I'm a big, as Jim McKay used to say, "Thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat" guy...Much more fun for me for our kids to reach down and dig one out than having the walk-ons in with 5 minutes to go...

I love close games for sure but with certain opponents I don't mind a 30 point win every once in awhile....haha.

• Like 2

Just now, IUFLA said:

Malik made a couple of "hustle plays" that'll never show up on the stat sheet, but still helped us win... 

The kid’s ability in the post for his age is tremendous.  Love his motor too.   I’m not his trainer but from afar it looks like he could wipe away some baby fat this summer and come back better conditioned and a step quicker.  The potential is immense.  Let’s get a long, athletic big fella to pair with him (think: Jeff Newton) and we could be fun next year.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

His throwaway coming up the court (I think coming out of the timeout no less) was absolutely ludicrous and just shocking in the idiocy and magnitude of it considering the circumstances.  

The one Coleman picked off?

I thought that was one of those looking the other way, you see the defender too late, and you short arm it...

It would have gotten picked even if it was a bullet, but I thought that's why it looked like a soft pass...

And, as Woody said, he's a freshman... He was a bit more generous in his overall assessment during the post game than some of us are being... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

I also saw the second angle from what appeared to be more from behind Fino and from that angle it did not appear that his arm touched Epps at all. Agree with the view from the first angle

Yeah, there was a slight hand check on the hip from that angle, but as Hummel said about a dozen times, a play on for sure... 

Just now, IUFLA said:

The one Coleman picked off?

I thought that was one of those looking the other way, you see the defender too late, and you short arm it...

It would have gotten picked even if it was a bullet, but I thought that's why it looked like a soft pass...

And, as Woody said, he's a freshman... He was a bit more generous in his overall assessment during the post game than some of us are being... 

I see your view but IMO he needed to see the floor better there and anticipate the situation.  That could have been a dagger.  But, regardless, my real point was to compliment Fino.  He’s got tremendous makeup as a player.  To come back down and have the onions to drill a fairly tough shot was just outstanding considering he just turned it over.   I am not sure we win the game without him having that mental toughness.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IUguy said:

Glad IU won!  However, I said it during the game and I’ll say it again now.  This team is just frustrating to watch.  Too many turnovers, no consistent second scorer, gives up far too many offensive rebounds…..I could go on.  But, they have Trayce and play pretty good defense (when oops threes don’t fall).  Can they win on the road or on a neutral court?  Can they beat MSU in Lansing?  I love their heart, but without a healthy XJ, just how far can they go?

Every team has those up and down moments throughout the games. Nobody plays a perfect game and there will be mistakes in every game. I don't find them frustrating at all and I enjoy watching this team play

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I see your view but IMO he needed to see the floor better there and anticipate the situation.  That could have been a dagger.  But, regardless, my real point was to compliment Fino.  He’s got tremendous makeup as a player.  To come back down and have the onions to drill a fairly tough shot was just outstanding considering he just turned it over.   I am not sure we win the game without him having that mental toughness.  

I agree... A lot of kids would have folded their tent... He came back and wasn't afraid to put up...

I guess I'm just overly protective of the kids that play for IU... Even Sampson's teams up to a point... This particular group especially I guess... They've played the majority of their games without a guy that was perceived as our second best player, and without Race for almost half of the conference schedule. Despite Brad Underwood's crybabying, if any team has an "excuse" it's this one... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree... A lot of kids would have folded their tent... He came back and wasn't afraid to put up...

I guess I'm just overly protective of the kids that play for IU... Even Sampson's teams up to a point... This particular group especially I guess... They've played the majority of their games without a guy that was perceived as our second best player, and without Race for almost half of the conference schedule. Despite Brad Underwood's crybabying, if any team has an "excuse" it's this one... 

If Underwood keeps complaining about being down players, etc eventually he will have all the time in the world to play a game with a built in handicap like golf. 

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

If Underwood keeps complaining about being down players, etc eventually he will have all the time in the world to play a game with a built in handicap like golf. 

He's his own handicap...

And I have a feeling this is the door from Champaign to the transfer portal this upcoming off season...

gettyimages-858637934.thumb.jpg.02d0b5fa486439eba1a7d3bb0429826f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Nothing wrong with that.  It’s admirable.  And I’m with you on Woodson’s command of coaching. 

I actually take the time to watch coach’s press conferences.  He’s a Ph.D in basketball and very insightful.  The players know it; his assistants know it.  

People love to rip on Tom Allen but my view is he’s got a very good football mind.  He had good thoughts on what he wants the offense and defense to look like and do.  I Know, because I take the time to listen to him.  People rip on him but IU has literally never had sustained success yet he’s had two of our best seasons in a row ever.   Yes we’ve fallen off but let’s see if we come back.  It doesn’t matter what any of us say in that regard as it will be about w’s and l’s in the end but expectations need to be commensurate with who we are and our circumstances.  He’s had a great offseason and IMO literally addressed exactly what we needed.  I have a feeling we are still getting Chance from Oregon State but it won’t be official until he finishes the semester.  Sorry for the tangent but I am addressing coaching and fans’ misperceptions.  

Now, Archie was in a different category.  He did a lot of damage to the program and Woody is having to deal with it.  We have so many negative streaks that keep coming up with teams that Woody is turning around.  Whether it was losing 11 of 12 or getting drubbed at home to Purdue when Knight came back, Archie never had answers and simply didn’t have the coaching acumen to solve critical issues at $3 M Per year.

Woody is turning the program around and he knows what it takes.  Most importantly, we are looking like IU basketball that old timers like you and me recognize.  We are starting to play the right way again.  Regardless of how this season turns out, we are on the right trajectory IMO.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Nothing wrong with that.  It’s admirable.  And I’m with you on Woodson’s command of coaching. 

I actually take the time to watch coach’s press conferences.  He’s a Ph.D in basketball and very insightful.  The players know it; his assistants know it.  

People love to rip on Tom Allen but my view is he’s got a very good football mind.  He had good thoughts on what he wants the offense and defense to look like and do.  I Know, because I take the time to listen to him.  People rip on him but IU has literally never had sustained success yet he’s had two of our best seasons in a row ever.   Yes we’ve fallen off but let’s see if we come back.  It doesn’t matter what any of us say in that regard as it will be about w’s and l’s in the end but expectations need to be commensurate with who we are and our circumstances.  He’s had a great offseason and IMO literally addressed exactly what we needed.  I have a feeling we are still getting Chance from Oregon State but it won’t be official until he finishes the semester.  Sorry for the tangent but I am addressing coaching and fans’ misperceptions.  

Now, Archie was in a different category.  He did a lot of damage to the program and Woody is having to deal with it.  We have so many negative streaks that keep coming up with teams that Woody is turning around.  Whether it was losing 11 of 12 or getting drubbed at home to Purdue when Knight came back, Archie never had answers and simply didn’t have the coaching acumen to solve critical issues at $3 M Per year.

Woody is turning the program around and he knows what it takes.  Most importantly, we are looking like IU basketball that old timers like you and me recognize.  We are starting to play the right way again.  Regardless of how this season turns out, we are on the right trajectory IMO.  

I never wanted to believe Archie Miller was in over his head, but in retrospect, he was...

I do think some day he'll get another shot and be successful... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

What did I think?

I think he's Mike Woodson... I think he's forgotten more about basketball than all of us know combined...

If he says it, I believe it..

But weren’t you criticizing @KoB2011 for saying they weren’t playing with effort? Exactly what Woody said. Woody or anybody else saying they aren’t playing with effort doesn’t mean they don’t care, it just means they can hit another level that we’ve seen but aren’t playing at. Or in other words not doing things we know they are capable of. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Every team has those up and down moments throughout the games. Nobody plays a perfect game and there will be mistakes in every game. I don't find them frustrating at all and I enjoy watching this team play

The legitimate, “good” teams are the ones who have off nights or up and down moments in games, but can still consistently win by 10+ as well winning games by 1. We are a good team getting better…..

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Malik made a couple of "hustle plays" that'll never show up on the stat sheet, but still helped us win... 

They were massive. He got on the ball to fight for a ball, then kicked it out and got a hockey assist on a JHS three. It was an ugly possession and his grit saved it.

Next defensive possession he got the steal and brought it up, then hit TJD for the tie.