IL @ IU post game thread

Reacher

6 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

But weren’t you criticizing @KoB2011 for saying they weren’t playing with effort? Exactly what Woody said. Woody or anybody else saying they aren’t playing with effort doesn’t mean they don’t care, it just means they can hit another level that we’ve seen but aren’t playing at. Or in other words not doing things we know they are capable of. 

If they weren't playing with effort, again, how did they stay close?

JHS and Trayce both played 37 minutes... And anybody who says 100% "effort" can be maintained for 40 minutes is full of it... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUguy said:

Glad IU won!  However, I said it during the game and I’ll say it again now.  This team is just frustrating to watch.  Too many turnovers, no consistent second scorer, gives up far too many offensive rebounds…..I could go on.  But, they have Trayce and play pretty good defense (when oops threes don’t fall).  Can they win on the road or on a neutral court?  Can they beat MSU in Lansing?  I love their heart, but without a healthy XJ, just how far can they go?

They have won on the road several times. Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois, Xavier. They ended up winning the rebound battle today. They held Illinois to zero 3 pointers in the second half.

Not sure what you are complaining about 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Was anybody else shocked that beyond the last IU possession, Illinois NEVER pressed us full court? 

I was surprised that they had their best success vs us over in their gym using the press and they never did it once. I've got about 20 texts saying why not try it once??? Or for minutes at a time when JHS was on bench??

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am pretty confident Miller still covered Meyer for the majority of the 2nd half.

Woody did move Miller off when he got in foul trouble, but switched back fairly quickly.

Went back and watched the 2nd half Galloway had him all but maybe 4 mins. TJD got dunked on in the 2 times he had him. Miller fouled him twice, including on a 3. Gave him 4 free throws. Galloway only gave him 2 free throws . So Galloway shut him down.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Most of the times we've been pressed this year came when we were ahead. We trailed from the 9 minute mark of the first half today until there were 30 seconds left in the game. 

I was just thinking it was effective for them and we had such trouble handling it Underwood might switch up and break it out...

26 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

Soooooooo NICE to have a regular season sweep of the Illini in the books. Why not the same with Sparty? 

Can't keep concerns over TJD and JHS's season-long endurance give their minutes out of the back of my mind.

Sparty fighting for their NCAAT lives.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Indykev said:

Went back and watched the 2nd half Galloway had him all but maybe 4 mins. TJD got dunked on in the 2 times he had him. Miller fouled him twice, including on a 3. Gave him 4 free throws. Galloway only gave him 2 free throws . So Galloway shut him down.

TJD got dunked on by Mayer? 

The dunk Mayer get at 1630 is a transition defense. There wasn't another dunk in the 2nd. 

I've watched the 2nd half 3 times now... Trey does fine on Mayer, but Miller was fine the whole day.. he just got 3 fouls really early in the 2nd half, so they used Trey. 

Regardless.. defense isn't a one on one concept. It's a team concept.