Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

Good read from our friend  @The Daily Hoosier

“It’s just a completely different culture (since IU hired Woodson),” Leal said.  “He came in preaching family, Big Ten title and national title.  I think that’s the biggest thing is just the family culture, and everyone buying in, and having the players who can help lead us to where we want to go.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

We've had one offseason... and there is no way to keyhole what Woodson and staff will do roster wise moving forward. 

I fully expect him to tell one or two to find other places to play. 

And if he does, his whole "family" deal is a charade...

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Disagree...He didn't last year...

I think he’ll be honest with them and say Woodson doesn’t see them getting much playing time and he’ll understand them transferring to a better opportunity but don’t really think he’ll say hit the road , we no longer want you. Though his NBA background might suggest a ‘cut’ mentality. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's literally not true ...... at all

Yes it certainly is...The last thing I want to do as a leader, is talk out of both sides of my mouth...No one wants to work or play for someone who's disengenuous...

If Woody tells a kid, "Hey, right now you're 3rd on the depth chart, but with work, youcan rise up it." That's one thing...Some kids will take the challenge, so won't and will move on...But it's THEIR choice...He's not going to call a kid in and say, "we'd like you to transfer."

Edited by IUFLA
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

I think he’ll be honest with them and say Woodson doesn’t see them getting much playing time and he’ll understand them transferring to a better opportunity but don’t really think he’ll say hit the road , we no longer want you. Though his NBA background might suggest a ‘cut’ mentality. 

I also think he might manage this group of holdovers, the ones that stayed and did not transfer out, a little differently than maybe some future players because they gave him a chance when he came on and didn’t leave. Think they earned some respect from him.

6 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

I agree with the first sentence...The second I'm not so sure of...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with the first sentence...The second I'm not so sure of...

I really don’t think he’ll kick players off the team, second sentence just thinking being in NBA so long maybe he’s just used to management driven releasing of players instead of player driven 

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes it certainly is...The last thing I want to do as a leader, is talk out of both sides of my mouth...No one wants to work or play for someone who's disengenuos...

If Woody tells a kid, "Hey, right now you're 3rd on the depth chart, but with work, youcan rise up it." That's one thing...Some kids will take the challenge, so won't and will move on...But it's THEIR choice...He's not going to call a kid in and say, "we'd like you to transfer."

It's not at all. Sometimes as a family you have to cut ties with family members, for the betterment of the whole. 

And, more than likely.. he has already told multiple kids to take hikes. IMO, he told Durr, Hunter, and probably others to move on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WRSMick55 said:

I really don’t think he’ll kick players off the team, second sentence just thinking being in NBA so long maybe he’s just used to management driven releasing of players instead of player driven 

He basically already has kicked kids off--- Hunter, Stewart, Lander, Durr, Phin. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We've had one offseason... and there is no way to keyhole what Woodson and staff will do roster wise moving forward. 

I fully expect him to tell one or two to find other places to play. 

I'm sure that's how Knight addressed roster issues all the time.  I think Coach Woodson would probably do a more modern, softer version of that.  JMO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's not at all. Sometimes as a family you have to cut ties with family members, for the betterment of the whole. 

If a kid is a lockerroom cancer or is not living up to his end on the education front, then by all means...But not over playing time and position on the depth chart...He tells them the situation, and if they don't agree, they move on...that's not forcing anybody to do anything...

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And, more than likely.. he has already told multiple kids to take hikes. IMO, he told Durr, Hunter, and probably others to move on. 

The bolded means it's supposition, which doesn't hold up much in a debate...

If we ARE "supposing" then I would it's as @WRSMick55 and I have been saying all along...he told those players where they were on the depth chart, and they didn't take up the challenge...Same with Rob Phinisee...he saw JHS coming in, and knew his time would be lessened...And that's fine...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

He basically already has kicked kids off--- Hunter, Stewart, Lander, Durr, Phin. 

May just be talking semantics here. I have no doubt he’s told kids in plain English that it’s in their best interest to move on and they don’t fit into IU’s future plans prompting an incentively easy decision.Just Don know if said “we are pulling your scholarship, you’re gone.” Same result, different presentation 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

May just be talking semantics here. I have no doubt he’s told kids in plain English that it’s in their best interest to move on and they don’t fit into IU’s future plans prompting an incentively easy decision.Just Don know if said “we are pulling your scholarship, you’re gone.” Same result, different presentation 

I never thought he said "you're gone". Yes, semantics. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If a kid is a lockerroom cancer or is not living up to his end on the education front, then by all means...But not over playing time and position on the depth chart...He tells them the situation, and if they don't agree, they move on...that's not forcing anybody to do anything...

The bolded means it's supposition, which doesn't hold up much in a debate...

If we ARE "supposing" then I would it's as @WRSMick55 and I have been saying all along...he told those players where they were on the depth chart, and they didn't take up the challenge...Same with Rob Phinisee...he saw JHS coming in, and knew his time would be lessened...And that's fine...

So, we had JHS, Gunn, and Banks committed last year, and signed actually..... were actively recruited Malik.... we had no schollies for these guys, btw..... 

How did the amount of schollies we needed last year just magically transfer and open up? Phin, Lander, Durr, and Stewart. It wasn't ALL 4 of those guys decisions to leave, including Hunter the year before. 

100% he is going to force guys to leave from time to time, as he should. And their playing time and position on the depth chart, in regards to where we are as a program/who we want to recruit is all relative when deciding what players are allowed to stick around. It's just the nature of the business, currently. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So, we had JHS, Gunn, and Banks committed last year, and signed actually..... were actively recruited Malik.... we had no schollies for these guys, btw..... 

How did the amount of schollies we needed last year just magically transfer and open up? Phin, Lander, Durr, and Stewart. It wasn't ALL 4 of those guys decisions to leave, including Hunter the year before. 

100% he is going to force guys to leave from time to time, as he should. And their playing time and position on the depth chart, in regards to where we are as a program/who we want to recruit is all relative when deciding what players are allowed to stick around. It's just the nature of the business, currently. 

Well, I guess you believe what you believe, and I'll do the same...There were supposedly (there's that word again) transfers that wanted to come to IU last year, but there was no room...Maybe that's why Anthony Leal said what I quoted above...

21 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

It is semantics...The devil is in the details of what he said, and how he said it...

But my overall point on wanting to stay with traditional recruiting and developing the players you recruit stands...

I think Ohio State, Illinois, and Minnesota found out how difficult it is to mesh upper classmen, incoming transfers, and freshmen...

Edited by IUFLA

Every coach on the country after the season ends has an exit in interview with each player. He will let them know what they see their role with the team will be next year. He will be honest with them and let them know they will not be part of the rotation.  He will tell them it would probably be best for them to look elsewhere if they want to see playing time.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Well, I guess you believe what you believe, and I'll do the same...There were supposedly (there's that word again) transfers that wanted to come to IU last year, but there was no room...Maybe that's why Anthony Leal said what I quoted above...

He kept Logan, JG, and Bates.... he could have told them to leave. He wanted to work with them and see if they could make progress.... two of them haven't at all. Now, I never said HE SHOULD ask anyone to leave.... because if he deems JG/LD as guys that SHOULD be on our roster next year.... thats is PERFECTLY fine with me, and I trust him 100%.....

But, I don't think that is how they have evaluated those two. And imo, they will be asked to leave. 

Idk what Leal has to do with this. He is a VERY unique case. 

But, to think all FOUR transfers plus Hunter the year prior chose to leave on their own, when we had their schollies already full with incoming FR, yeah I don't buy that at all. I think Lander chose to leave on his own, I think the other 4 were told we don't have a spot for you. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

Every coach on the country after the season ends have a exit in interview with each player. He will let them know what they see their role with the team will be next year. He will be honest with them and let them know they will not he part of the rotation.  He will tell them it would probably be best for them to look elsewhere if they want to see playing time.

Right.. and idk why CMW would be any different. 

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not being privy to the inner workings of the IU basketball team,  who knows why players left. Maybe they were told they weren’t in the rotation anymore, maybe they determined IU wasn’t a fit for them anymore ( Stewart?)’ maybe they just wanted a change ( Phinisee, Lander ?). Who knows? I sure  don’t.