Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

2 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

Not being privy to the inner workings of the IU basketball team,  who knows why players left. Maybe they were told they weren’t in the rotation anymore, maybe they determined IU wasn’t a fit for them anymore ( Stewart?)’ maybe they just wanted a change ( Phinisee, Lander ?). Who knows? I sure  don’t. 

So.... we just magically knew how many guys would transfer that directly coincided with how many guys we had coming in FR wise? Cmon man. 

To be clear... I have zero issue with the way Woodsons has handled, basically anything. But, I just don't think this is treated as a middle school and guys are allowed to just hang out that don't produce. 

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So.... we just magically knew how many guys would transfer that directly coincided with how many guys we had coming in FR wise? Cmon man. 

To be clear... I have zero issue with the way Woodsons has handled, basically anything. But, I just don't think this is treated as a middle school and guys are allowed to just hang out that don't produce. 

Whatever the reason or impetus, the wishes could have been expressed and known in time to coincide with the new recruits. Again, I have no idea. It’s all conjecture to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wasn't it widely assumed that Trayce, who went to the NBA combine, and didn't participate after he tested positive for COVID, wouldn't be back? And neither Race nor X  were a sure thing...Durr and Stewart were part of the Widy City 5, so maybe, as I said, Woody thought they were a bad lockerroom influence...And I'm sure after watching JHS, both Lander and Phinisee saw that if X did come back, the handful of minutes available weren't going to be enough...

And you contradict yourself saying "guys are allowed to just hang out that don't produce." You say Leal is a "special case" but in a business, as you see it, that shouldn't matter, should it?

"To be clear... I have zero issue with the way Woodsons has handled, basically anything."

I don't either...But it seems that some are lobbying to put recruiting transfers over traditional recruitment of high school kids, at the expense of some kids we currently have on the roster, and my take on that is...

Be careful what you wish for...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Wasn't it widely assumed that Trayce, who went to the NBA combine, and didn't participate after he tested positive for COVID, wouldn't be back? And neither Race nor X  were a sure thing...Durr and Stewart were part of the Widy City 5, so maybe, as I said, Woody thought they were a bad lockerroom influence...And I'm sure after watching JHS, both Lander and Phinisee saw that if X did come back, the handful of minutes available weren't going to be enough...

And you contradict yourself saying "guys are allowed to just hang out that don't produce." You say Leal is a "special case" but in a business, as you see it, that shouldn't matter, should it?

"To be clear... I have zero issue with the way Woodsons has handled, basically anything."

I don't either...But it seems that some are lobbying to put recruiting transfers over traditional recruitment of high school kids, at the expense of some kids we currently have on the roster, and my take on that is...

I 100% hope that is happening. Our roster is not talented enough, now. 

Right, and that is why Leal is a special case..... He is going to be allowed to hang around and not produce a ton. He offers more value in the 13th scholly role than basically anyone would, in my eyes. I didn't contradict myself. 

You really think CMW and staff were just guessing that they'd have 4 schollies available? I certainly hope they don't operate that way. 

I don't think all 5 transfers we've had were asked to leave... but I bet 2-3 of them were, and I fully support that. If you aren't good enough, and we need your scholly... you should be asked to leave. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

Whatever the reason or impetus, the wishes could have been expressed and known in time to coincide with the new recruits. Again, I have no idea. It’s all conjecture to me.

I think it's very naive to believe CMW hasn't already told multiple former player their time here has ran out. And we are a lot better this season because he and staff were willing ot make those choices/have those conversations. 

And I agree... it was well planned. But I don't think there is really any way around it.... a couple of those guys were told to hit the road. 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I 100% hope that is happening. Our roster is not talented enough, now. 

Right, and that is why Leal is a special case..... He is going to be allowed to hang around and not produce a ton. He offers more value in the 13th scholly role than basically anyone would, in my eyes. I didn't contradict myself. 

You really think CMW and staff were just guessing that they'd have 4 schollies available? I certainly hope they don't operate that way. 

I don't think all 5 transfers we've had were asked to leave... but I bet 2-3 of them were, and I fully support that. If you aren't good enough, and we need your scholly... you should be asked to leave. 

Yeah, see how that worked out at Illinois and Ohio State?

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agree, traditional recruits over transfers. Tranfers to fill gaps.( like next year ) No current roster player pushed out forcefully.

• Like 1

Just now, WRSMick55 said:

Agree, traditional recruits over transfers. Tranfers to fill gaps.( like next year ) No current roster player pushed out forcefully.

We aren't recruiting anymore '23s that I can think of... so it doesn't appear the staff is taking this route. 

The bold has already happened at least once and will happen in the future. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think it's very naive to believe CMW hasn't already told multiple former player their time here has ran out. And we are a lot better this season because he and staff were willing ot make those choices/have those conversations. 

And I agree... it was well planned. But I don't think there is really any way around it.... a couple of those guys were told to hit the road. 

I’ll agree. And I think they were all in agreement in the end that it was time to leave.

1 minute ago, WRSMick55 said:

I’ll agree. And I think they were all in agreement in the end that it was time to leave.

yes.. I am not saying that this is always some awful discussion or whatever or he's coming to blows with these dudes... but man... this is 100% happening at Indiana and very well could again with 1-2 more this spring. 

Just now, btownqb said:

That has nothing to do with CMW and Indiana. 

I don't really even understand the comparison you're trying to make. 

It's about building a team, a program, and a culture...

As I said, I wouldn't ignore the portal, but that's not where I think we should direct our focus...

Just now, IUFLA said:

It's about building a team, a program, and a culture...

As I said, I wouldn't ignore the portal, but that's not where I think we should direct our focus...

It's 100% where NEXT year's team should direct it's focus. We aren't recruiting anymore 23s that I can think of.... and have already contacted 3 transfers that are all just one year of eligibility remaining. 

Couple of other things shake out... and you bring in two guys that can play as 23-24yr olds, to go along with XJ, Bates, TG, MR... I think we could be another Top 5 seed next season. Then you bank those schollie for 24/25 moving forward.... all the while you are developing Gunn/Banks for 2 years down the road.... Cupps/Newton, as well. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's 100% where NEXT year's team should direct it's focus. We aren't recruiting anymore 23s that I can think of.... and have already contacted 3 transfers that are all just one year of eligibility remaining. 

Couple of other things shake out... and you bring in two guys that can play as 23-24yr olds, to go along with XJ, Bates, TG, MR... I think we could be another Top 5 seed next season. Then you bank those schollie for 24/25 moving forward.... all the while you are developing Gunn/Banks for 2 years down the road.... Cupps/Newton, as well. 

You're talking about 1 year... And I said, for a need, sure... But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater by planning to "cut" current team members to make room for transfers... That's the crux of the debate...

Bigger picture, recruit good high school kids and develop them... 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You're talking about 1 year... And I said, for a need, sure... But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater by planning to "cut" current team members to make room for transfers... That's the crux of the debate...

If they cannot swing it, they should be cut. In my opinion, there are two of them I'd tell see ya to and we will be a lot better for it. 

Edited by btownqb

Just now, IUFLA said:

....You definitely want to build trust in play/coach relationships. I know Coach wants to develop a solid foundation and a feeling that this team invests and believes in kids who are willing to put in the work. 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In a perfect world yes that is how you build your team. The problem is that isn't as easy to do in today's college basketball because it is to easy for kids to go in the portal 

• Like 1