Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, Huntnfreak said:

Sure…….whatever makes you feel good bud!! 😆

You are talking about PSU great come back today that just came up short. Did we not make a big run at the end of the game that came up short. I just don't get fans like you that have belittle a team you say you root for.

Two totally different ends of the spectrum. We got behind because of the way we chose to play. Penn St. got behind because they had no answer for Edey, but never quit throughout the game. IU does not play smart and it gets us behind against teams we shouldn’t be trailing IF we played smarter!!

Yes..we came back, but no way, shape or form do we have the fight we should!!!

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You are talking about PSU great come back today that just came up short. Did we not make a big run at the end of the game that came up short. I just don't get fans like you that have belittle a team you say you root for.

You don’t have to get fans like me because I don’t get fans like you. ✌🏼

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Huntnfreak said:

You don’t have to get fans like me because I don’t get fans like you. ✌🏼

The true fans who will follow them through the good and bad. We can critique when necessary but still can view things without a being like a 12 year old when they don't get their way

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Huntnfreak said:

Two totally different ends of the spectrum. We got behind because of the way we chose to play. Penn St. got behind because they had no answer for Edey, but never quit throughout the game. IU does not play smart and it gets us behind against teams we shouldn’t be trailing IF we played smarter!!

Yes..we came back, but no way, shape or form do we have the fight we should!!!

There was a stat shared after Friday's come from behind win against Maryland, can't remember exactly the numbers, but we've had several 2nd half comeback wins this season.  

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

There was a stat shared after Friday's come from behind win against Maryland, can't remember exactly the numbers, but we've had several 2nd half comeback wins this season.  

I agree 100%…all I’m saying is we SHOULD’NT be getting behind in these games and have to come back!! We are a much better team than that and that’s what frustrates me to no end!!! We have to play smarter which WILL lead to success!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Huntnfreak said:

I agree 100%…all I’m saying is we SHOULD’NT be getting behind in these games and have to come back!! We are a much better team than that and that’s what frustrates me to no end!!! We have to play smarter which WILL lead to success!!

I thought you were saying we don't fight to come back when we are down? Seemed like that was your point with the "dawg" comment and referencing how PSU fought back against Purdue. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I thought you were saying we don't fight to come back when we are down? Seemed like that was your point with the "dawg" comment and referencing how PSU fought back against Purdue. 

Dude…let me spell it out for you….PLAY HARD ALL GAME LONG AND YOU WON’T FIND YOURSELF BEHIND AND HAVING TO COME BACK against inferior teams!!

Penn St. plays HARD the entire game (dawgs) and can get behind, but IU doesn’t play hard all game!! It’s not really that hard to see watching an IU game.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Huntnfreak said:

Dude…let me spell it out for you….PLAY HARD ALL GAME LONG AND YOU WON’T FIND YOURSELF BEHIND AND HAVING TO COME BACK against inferior teams!!

Penn St. plays HARD the entire game (dawgs) and can get behind, but IU doesn’t play hard all game!! It’s not really that hard to see watching an IU game.

The all caps did it, now I get it! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think part of his point is that if we were smarter / had higher basketball IQ we wouldn’t be digging so many holes. I think PSU is a solid team, but our game plan or execution in the first half was unacceptable IMO, especially when we all knew what was going to happen. That’s what is frustrating to me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 3:06 PM, kyhoosier29 said:

I think part of his point is that if we were smarter / had higher basketball IQ we wouldn’t be digging so many holes. I think PSU is a solid team, but our game plan or execution in the first half was unacceptable IMO, especially when we all knew what was going to happen. That’s what is frustrating to me. 

I hear what you two are saying, I really do. I would say that it was way more about execution, as we had several first half defensive miscommunications that led to open 3's. 

But the conversation started about PSU being dawgs after their almost comeback, and that IU doesn't have dawgs or is soft. We've had several comeback wins this season and also just showed a ton of heart and fight simply by overcoming the injuries and the 1-4 conference start. 

I just get frustrated sometimes when we as fans (myself included) start narratives that aren't really there or narratives that apply to like 99% of the teams but act like their unique to IU. 

But with all of that said, I agree with you guys on the first half lapses. That seems to be a trend the last few games or even weeks. We seem to start well but then go into an extended lack of focus after the first media timeout. Not sure what is going on there?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I hear what you two are saying, I really do. I would say that it was way more about execution, as we had several first half defensive miscommunications that led to open 3's. 

But the conversation started about PSU being dawgs after their almost comeback, and that IU doesn't have dawgs or is soft. We've had several comeback wins this season and also just showed a ton of heart and fight simply by overcoming the injuries and the 1-4 conference start. 

I just get frustrated sometimes when we as fans (myself included) start narratives that aren't really there or narratives that apply to like 99% of the teams. 

But with all of that said, I agree with you guys on the first half lapses. That seems to be a trend the last few games or even weeks. We seem to start well but then go into an extended lack of focus after the first media timeout. Not sure what is going on there?

We shouldn’t be having the number of miscommunications on D that we had against PSU this late in the season. That’s what is head scratching and frustrating to me. 

I don’t think our guys ever quit, but I also think there’s something to be said about having those so-called “dawgs” on a team. XJ is a dawg, brings that edge we need sometimes. I don’t know if we have somebody else that fits that mold. So I somewhat get that, but I don’t know I’d call us soft, just softer than some of us would like sometimes. Too many nice guys. 

I am probably way off base here, but I do believe that several guys on this roster were recruited by a coach who relied on the pack line defense. I get it that that is 3 years in the rear view mirror, but I wonder if some of those old principles sometimes show up? Race and TG specifically in their penchant for leaving their assignments to help out