Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

48 minutes ago, Inequality said:

My point is that X’s absence  isn’t the reason we lose basketball games. Which is what gets thrown around after every loss. Win with what you have and stop finding every excuse to pass blame.

We have five on the floor that have dominated at a high level and that have randomly struggled. Folks act like we are playing with 4 players. X could have very well been that third piece the help pick up the slack. Or not as we also seen in the large sample size we can reference.

The whole team minus Trace simply has to improve and there is no savior on the bench.

What this team needs most is a guy that can get his own shots off the dribble, isn't afraid to let it fly when the occasion calls for it, and can guard the perimeter. It just so happens we have a guy who fits that exact description wearing street clothes on the bench.

• Like 3

I'm kind of depressed after this loss I was really hoping for a win. I don't have any analysis to offer that hasn't already been brought forth.

I will say that I really appreciate the 100s of commenters that bring thoughtful discussion to EVERY post game loss and post win discussion thread. I live in a place where no one cares about Indiana basketball or even basketball in general and it's nice to be able to share the Indiana losses and wins with people that care as much about Indiana basketball as I do. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I can see a conference tourney making sense for a one bid league. But a team with a losing regular season record shouldn't get in by winning a tourney. 

A part of me wants them to take a season and instead of conference tournaments just put everyone in the NCAA tournament.  All in one and done. See how it goes. 

With the conference tournament everyone is already in

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

What this team needs most is a guy that can get his own shots off the dribble, isn't afraid to let it fly when the occasion calls for it, and can guard the perimeter. It just so happens we have a guy who fits that exact description wearing street clothes on the bench.

I don't know. Not sure Duncomb is gonna guard the perimeter.  

• Haha 3

Just now, IU Scott said:

Well if they put everyone in, they would start it regionally which is what your conference is.  They wouldn't just seed everyone 1-365 or however many teams are in D1

Conferences aren't isolated regionally like they once were.  Hell, in a couple years the big ten will stretch from coast to coast.

50 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Yes!! It's deeper than just "XJs talent". 

It's what we were missing great post, all of that coupled with what @Steubenhoosier mentioned with an incredible amount more depth. 

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

Who is “he”? I’ve not once named anyone. I was responding to the board as a whole in reference to the floated speculation that we win this game or that game with X. Never did I mention Woodson.

Of course health matters in sports lol.

I don’t think anyone is debating the effect of injuries. I see a bench full of players capable of providing a breather and meaningful minutes.

I guess it’s “dumb” to counter conjecture with the other side of conjecture.

I am going to be that guy. I'll say the obligatory "i'm not a coach," so i'm dumb, but why does a sixth year senior stay in the game after multiple mistakes, but more talented (at least physically) players get yanked much quicker.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I'm kind of depressed after this loss I was really hoping for a win. I don't have any analysis to offer that hasn't already been brought forth.

I will say that I really appreciate the 100s of commenters that bring thoughtful discussion to EVERY post game loss and post win discussion thread. I live in a place where no one cares about Indiana basketball or even basketball in general and it's nice to be able to share the Indiana losses and wins with people that care as much about Indiana basketball as I do. 

I understand…I live in NC, and of course, it’s all about Duke and UNC around here…which makes me gag!

• Like 1

The real issue yesterday was we didn’t hit perimeter shots

JHS missed some shots he had been making. He makes a few of those and we have game pressure on PSU. The defense could have fees off that. It’s simple we need to make some jump shots. Do that and we can beat any team we play. Don’t and we can loose to any body. It makes the tournament scary. But this team can play with anybody or get rolled by a good guard oriented team.  Not sure they can shoot good for two or 3 games in row

I know most don’t like Bates. But he needs to be aggressive next week and look for his shots. Shot fake and one or two dribbles and fire

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Inequality said:

Who is “he”? I’ve not once named anyone. I was responding to the board as a whole in reference to the floated speculation that we win this game or that game with X. Never did I mention Woodson.

Of course health matters in sports lol.

I don’t think anyone is debating the effect of injuries. I see a bench full of players capable of providing a breather and meaningful minutes.

I guess it’s “dumb” to counter conjecture with the other side of conjecture.

The "he" was Woodson. He had mentioned the injuries several times. Was he making an excuse? Who knows, but he definitely brought them up and the need to be healthy throughout the season. 

Yes, we have a bench full of players, but nobody on IU's bench is as good of a point guard as XJ. There's a reason he was the starting point guard, because he was better and more impactful at that position then anyone else. 

Of course guys step up when there are injuries, but in most cases it's not enough and it hurts the depth of the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Question - why does it always take us half the game, and digging ourselves a big hole, to start defending the 3, especially against good shooting teams? 

We’re dumb. I mean..it’s not like we don’t watch film on our opponents and come up with a game plan, but we choose to not execute!! 

• Like 1