Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just think in recruiting we need to look for guys who plays with a chip in their shoulder and are dogs on the court. It seems like we have a few players on the team who sometimes loses focus or play to soft for my liking 

I think you just described Cupps and Newton.  We just need more like them.

• Like 2

Seriously, we, as fans, have set the ceiling too high for this team.  Any chance of us competing for a Big Ten Championship or a deep run in the NCAA tournament went out the door when X got injured.  I'm actually please we finished where we finished in the Big Ten standings.  We easily, and I mean easily, could have been the 10 seed instead of the 3.

When you are filling out your bracket, regardless if we end up as a 4 or a 5 seed, if you move IU beyond the round of 32, you are letting your fandom drive your choice.  We are a toss-up against most potential 4/5 seeds, and should be underdogs to Duke and UConn, if not others.  And, if you have us advancing beyond the Sweet 16, then you are being ridiculous.  

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

Either the team is mentally soft or they have no heart. Our defense needs revamped. When is it fundamentally sound to jump past the 3 point shooter with no way to recover? Trading 3s for 2s is not good math. Whoever draws up the out of bounds plays should be removed. When I coached, I loved when teams pressed us It was easy scoring. IU has no idea how to set up a press breaker. No screens, little movement to get open and bad spacing! No one is a threat to score. Why? Need to watch the girls play to understand team basketball. Draw the defense and kick it out. nstead, we draw the defense and force the shot...why not hand the ball to the defense and get back down the floor? Ball screens are terrible on defense. Gallaway has a bad habit of turning into the screen instead of sliding through it. Ball screens are not coached anymore...PATHETIC. No need to switch if coached the right way. We have no go to guy for the outside shot. A 6th year player should dominate from outside. Why is he on the floor? 2 players came to play: Race and Reneau.

3 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

Just stating facts, Jack. Never said I was. What's the idea of putting words in my mouth?

The first cited post, you say how poorly this team is coached in various facets... Then you talk about your brilliant coaching insight... Who do you think coaches IU?

You say that you know better than a guy who has coached at the highest level there is...

No one "put words in your mouth." You're the one who implied you had a better handle on coaching this team than Mike Woodson... 

We just didn't have energy today. Not an excuse because obviously PSU was playing their 3rd game in 3 days, but I hated it the second I heard we had the late game yesterday and then had to come right back this afternoon. Didn't like that setup. 

Thought it was ridiculous that the staff went back to Race instead of Reneau in the 2nd half. Our only real run, outside of the really late one, was with Reneau and then we never went back to him. 

Also frustrated that we went 0-6 vs NW, PSU and Iowa. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Agree your end of the bench players should be a Banks and Gunn

I don't think Banks and Gunn should accept being end of bench players. Why would Banks accept that role?  He is someone that has the skills to develop and contribute, if not at IU, then somewhere else.  That's the value of someone like Leal.  His choices are being a bench guy for his hometown team, or transferring to a much smaller school that is not in his hometown in search of playing time. 

Banks can develop into a very valuable 3 and D guy.  I want him to have that goal for IU, not somewhere else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Thought it was ridiculous that the staff went back to Race instead of Reneau in the 2nd half. Our only real run, outside of the really late one, was with Reneau and then we never went back to him. 

There have been times this year where Race was the better play than Reneau.  And, there have been times this year when Reneau was the better play over Race.  Last night's game and the 2nd half of tonight's game were Reneau moments.  I have no idea why the staff didn't ride it out with him.  They did with Bates today, and rightfully so.  But, they didn't do it either game this tournament with Reneau.  , 

• Like 3

Just now, 5fouls said:

There have been times this year where Race was the better play than Reneau.  And, there have been times this year when Reneau was the better play over Race.  Last night's game and the 2nd half of tonight's game were Reneau moments.  I have no idea why the staff didn't ride it out with him.  They did with Bates today, and rightfully so.  But, they didn't do it either game this tournament with Reneau.  , 

Agree completely. Honestly, Race had a really bad two days. He really, really struggled. It just seemed so obvious that Reneau was the play. 

We control the defensive boards so much better with TJD and Reneau together. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, D-BONE said:

What I see in our two losses to PSU is they are so much better offensively. They’re balanced with multiple consistent options, several adept from deep. We have only two guys you can count on game to game and neither is a threat from3.

They run the perfect offense for their personnel.  But let's not forget they have been beaten quite a few times this year.  When their 3s ain't falling they are in trouble.

4 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

Facts are facts. You my friend watch the game as a fan, which is fine. More power to you. You don't pay attention to details. So, When I see something a call it as it is. No need to jump down my throat. Again, STOP putting words in my mouth! I did not say I could handle the team better than Coach W! I could not.

I'm really confused on what your point is out of timeouts. We run really great plays out of timeouts and get great looks most times. 

Just now, Inequality said:

Interestingly for the we would have won with X crowd… since his arrival, IU is 12-13 vs B1G teams with Xavier Johnson prior to his injury. 12-8 without him.

You know that’s not a remotely fair comparison of the games with him and without him. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

Facts are facts. You my friend watch the game as a fan, which is fine. More power to you. You don't pay attention to details. So, When I see something a call it as it is. No need to jump down my throat. Again, STOP putting words in my mouth! I did not say I could handle the team better than Coach W! I could not.

For the record, I don't think you are a troll.  But, as a new poster, it's not worth getting into a pissing match with posters that have a much longer track record on the board.  Participate, by all means.  Contribute to the board.  But, pick and choose your battles.  This isn't one worth fighting about because emotions are high after a game like today.  

55 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Too many missed layups and open looks. Too many second chance points for the nittwitts. Tired legs? Not sure why we seemed a step slow. I just think this tournament needs to be scrapped unless, when the west coast punks arrive we cut down on the regular season conference games. 

The Penn St.  Nittwitty Lions?  I like that.

3 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Interestingly for the we would have won with X crowd… since his arrival, IU is 12-13 vs B1G teams with Xavier Johnson prior to his injury. 12-8 without him.

Should we look at Trayce's overall Big Ten record and declare that Steve Eyl must have been a better player (no offense intended to Steve).    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

When the weak minded are faced with truths...they resort to name calling (troll) because it a defensive move to get the offender to stop calling out the truths. One day, your weak mind will develope.

Go away nobody cares what you think. Been an IU fan for over 50 years and know IU and college basketball. On our of time outs we score on majority of the time so I don't know what info you are getting 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The first cited post, you say how poorly this team is coached in various facets... Then you talk about your brilliant coaching insight... Who do you think coaches IU?

You say that you know better than a guy who has coached at the highest level there is...

No one "put words in your mouth." You're the one who implied you had a better handle on coaching this team than Mike Woodson... 

Maybe he is Dan Dakich

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

Also, some much needed rest before the NCAA. But I think we would have taken PU again.

I do as well.  I think we have Purdue's number this year.  But, it's a scenario that could have also resulted in a Purdue win, which would have given the Boiler fans ammunition to use based on something as unimportant as a conference tournament championship game when both teams are already in the NCAA field.  It would have been, in essence, a meaningless game, other than for bragging rights, which we already have for this year.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You know that’s not a remotely fair comparison of the games with him and without him. 

Someone with more time could break it down in detail. Just a general overall stat vs B1G teams only. It does include both tournaments.

To be clear, Im not saying he wouldn’t have been a helpful addition here and there but I’m also not going to claim all losses are because he is unavailable. IU didn’t exactly win at a high clip with him. I would have liked to have him and Jalen together vs not and can certainly see areas where he theoretically could have had an effect on opposing players defensively.

• Like 2