Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

Too many missed layups and open looks. Too many second chance points for the nittwitts. Tired legs? Not sure why we seemed a step slow. I just think this tournament needs to be scrapped unless, when the west coast punks arrive we cut down on the regular season conference games. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I guess some people forget a few years ago we weren't even making the tournament...

Rome wasn't built in a day... 

just sucks that we don’t have a more complete team to surround Trayce and JHS. I know we need more time to layer this team with talent but I sure hope we get some knock down shooting.

1 minute ago, HoosierJax said:

Its obvious you don't know how this works 

How what works. I go by facts instead of emotions after a loss that really doesn't matter. It shows we match up well with certain teams and don't against some others. Overall the season has went well where we go ished tied for 2nd in the big ten and will be a 4 seed in the tournament. I know some expect miracles to happen right away and think because we are IU that means we should automatically be champions

15 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Problem is we have 3 guys that are “the 13 man right now that aren’t close to playing. 1/3 have to go atleast.

And, I expect at least one of them will.  

The reality is that, with the rules that are in place now, there are going to be quality players available every offseason.  What I hope our coaching staff does is to look for outstanding players from mid majors, especially those from winning programs.  I don't want a guy who averaged 5 points and 4 rebounds at somewhere like Mississippi or Oregon State.  Those guys have already shown us what they can do at a high major.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dgambill said:

just sucks that we don’t have a more complete team to surround Trayce and JHS. I know we need more time to layer this team with talent but I sure hope we get some knock down shooting.

I think we will...

Tamar Bates catches a lot of crap, but if you ask me, he should get the bevy of playing time at the 2 over Trey. On the road/neutral sites, Trey has been an offensive liability... And while Tamar might not be the defender Trey is, the gap has closed enough for Tamar's offense to be the deciding factor.

And I don't know what to make of the wall Race has seemed to hit the last two years. The kid tries, but geez, some of the mistakes are just hard to stomach...

Woody pretty much had to play his offense to the cast we have on hand. I think when we get away from running the offense through the 5 man, we'll see better results... But, yeah, we do need shooters... 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We win this game, and probably 3-4 others with a healthy Xavier Johnson.  X gave us a Big 3, which is very difficult to beat in college basketball.  And, he totally, and I mean TOTALLY, would have changed our perimeter defense.  

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, I expect at least one of them will.  

The reality is that, with the rules that are in place now, there are going to be quality players available every offseason.  What I hope our coaching staff does is to look for outstanding players from mid majors, especially those from winning programs.  I don't want a guy who averaged 5 points and 4 rebounds at somewhere like Mississippi or Oregon State.  Those guys have already shown us what they can do at a high major.  

Agree your end of the bench players should be a Banks and Gunn

35 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

Either the team is mentally soft or they have no heart. Our defense needs revamped. When is it fundamentally sound to jump past the 3 point shooter with no way to recover? Trading 3s for 2s is not good math. Whoever draws up the out of bounds plays should be removed. When I coached, I loved when teams pressed us It was easy scoring. IU has no idea how to set up a press breaker. No screens, little movement to get open and bad spacing! No one is a threat to score. Why? Need to watch the girls play to understand team basketball. Draw the defense and kick it out. nstead, we draw the defense and force the shot...why not hand the ball to the defense and get back down the floor? Ball screens are terrible on defense. Gallaway has a bad habit of turning into the screen instead of sliding through it. Ball screens are not coached anymore...PATHETIC. No need to switch if coached the right way. We have no go to guy for the outside shot. A 6th year player should dominate from outside. Why is he on the floor? 2 players came to play: Race and Reneau.

Yeah, I'm sure you're Mike Woodson's equal as a coach 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We win this game, and probably 3-4 others with a healthy Xavier Johnson.  X gave us a Big 3, which is very difficult to beat in college basketball.  And, he totally, and I mean TOTALLY, would have changed our perimeter defense.  

Yes. That is what sucks. This was a team that could make a final four run given how bad the ncaa has been this year. It’s a down year for sure and we could have taken advantage. S16 looks out ceiling so let’s give the program so momentum going into next year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

On the bright side of things, we could have lost to Purdue tomorrow and then would have had to listen to their fans talk about how that win would have been more important than our 2.  

Good point. 

Could be a silver lining if those cow fart huffers lose to PSU. 

3 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Agree your end of the bench players should be a Banks and Gunn

Don't agree because Leal is your perfect end of the bench guys. Banks in the future is at least in the rotation if not more. If Banks and Gunn are your end of the bench then you are going to have a lot of unhappy players.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ForHumanity said:

If you don't know, maybe you're a troll...LOL! How many Turn overs out of a time out?

Not many, find it funny that trolls come out after losses and don't see them any other time. I am sure it is just a coincidence that you just started posting today. We have seen it to many times on this board to be fooled by trolls 

• Like 1