Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Pretty sure we're under .500 in Big Ten play with TJD during his career. Not sure what that means, but it's just as relevant as the point about XJ. 

Interesting stat isn’t it? TJD being an all american proved his worth in the remarkable individual stats he leaves behind.

In my opinion, aside from the coaching carousel during his time at IU, he hasn’t had much real talent around him to win basketball games at a level complimentary to his individual contributions. Which, align with most IU fan expectations. 

When Jalen and Malik showed up, the difference in raw talent and ability was black and white in comparison. Speaking generally, folks could see the contrast in new vs old recruited talent.

And with that, it’s past my bedtime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ForHumanity said:

One player NEVER wins or loses a basketball game, way too many variables. I really hate when a player misses a foul shot at the end and the game is lost. Then you hear the people say, he lost the game for us. Wrong! What about player 2 missing a FT early in the game, player 3 making the TO taking away opportunity to score or fouling a 3 pt shooter and they make all 3. That last FT wouldn't have been a factor. Throw the records out the window between who started. Otherwise, we can say JHS scored 33 and lost. X score 6 and won. It's 5 fingers that are attached to a hand. You need them all to work as one.

Biggest thing with XJ.. he would have benefited so much from opposing teams worrying so much about JHS.. his points would have came so much easier. 

Not even to mention his defense. 

We don't lose today with him.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think the problem with Kopp is he isn't ready to shoot the ball before he catches the ball. You have to anticipate you are going to get the ball and have your feet and hands readynto shoot on the catch.  If he has time and has his feet set he is a good shooter. A lot of times on the break he will catch it on the run and he drifts on the shot

There was one announcer that was literally pointing it out every time Kopp caught the ball on the wing and didn't shoot it but drove it into traffic for a more contested harder shot. 

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think Banks and Gunn should accept being end of bench players. Why would Banks accept that role?  He is someone that has the skills to develop and contribute, if not at IU, then somewhere else.  That's the value of someone like Leal.  His choices are being a bench guy for his hometown team, or transferring to a much smaller school that is not in his hometown in search of playing time. 

Banks can develop into a very valuable 3 and D guy.  I want him to have that goal for IU, not somewhere else.

I mean those types of players be at the end of the bench during their freshmen year. Not duration of their career. 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That and it is actually the start of the tournament to give teams like OSU a chance to get in tbe NCAA Tournament 

I can see a conference tourney making sense for a one bid league. But a team with a losing regular season record shouldn't get in by winning a tourney. 

A part of me wants them to take a season and instead of conference tournaments just put everyone in the NCAA tournament.  All in one and done. See how it goes. 

7 hours ago, Inequality said:

Interesting stat isn’t it? TJD being an all american proved his worth in the remarkable individual stats he leaves behind.

In my opinion, aside from the coaching carousel during his time at IU, he hasn’t had much real talent around him to win basketball games at a level complimentary to his individual contributions. Which, align with most IU fan expectations. 

When Jalen and Malik showed up, the difference in raw talent and ability was black and white in comparison. Speaking generally, folks could see the contrast in new vs old recruited talent.

And with that, it’s past my bedtime.

I guess I'm just confused on what the point is with your XJ comment? Do you not think our 2nd best player from last would would have added to the talent on the team this year? You think he would have been a net negative?

You can make an argument XJ was our most important player last year towards the end of the season and BTT that got us into the tournament. 

I'm just not understanding the point. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I guess I'm just confused on what the point is with your XJ comment? Do you not think our 2nd best player from last would would have added to the talent on the team this year? You think he would have been a net negative?

You can make an argument XJ was our most important player last year towards the end of the season and BTT that got us into the tournament. 

I'm just not understanding the point. 

I think he is saying we don't really know how it would have turned out.  Which is true. 

10 hours ago, John S said:

I have grown to appreciate Kopp's hustling aggressive D.  But, he is a big disappointment if his role is shooting 3s.  Even when he gets a good outlet pass and has an open look, he often hestitates/dribbles and ends up ruining an opportunity to score.  very weird behavior for a mature player in that position.  

Agree on Kopp, but it also seemed to me that a couple of open fast breaks looks he did not set his feet when he had time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

One thing to consider is the Big East has no football, hence no football TV contract money.

I'd stay at Penn State which is an upper echelon program that has fresh TV money... Who knows what's going to happen to any conference not named the SEC or Big 10

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but I read an article the other day that said Georgetown spent more money on their basketball program than North Carolina.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

I think he is saying we don't really know how it would have turned out.  Which is true. 

I mean technically it's true, just seems like an odd stance. I couldn't understand it if it was like a sophomore who didn't play much last year that got hurt and we were expecting a leap. But XJ is a pretty proven player, and was our 2nd most important player last year. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean technically it's true, just seems like an odd stance. I couldn't understand it if it was like a sophomore who didn't play much last year that got hurt and we were expecting a leap. But XJ is a pretty proven player, and was our 2nd most important player last year. 

Odd stance or not, we don't know how it would have worked out.  One could say that if XJ didn't get hurt then JHS doesn't develop...etc.  

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Odd stance or not, we don't know how it would have worked out.  One could say that if XJ didn't get hurt then JHS doesn't develop...etc.  

Then we don't know what would have happened if Scott May hadn't gotten hurt. We don't know what would have happened if Alan Henderson hadn't gotten hurt, etc., etc.

So no more bringing those up as well I guess?

Edit: JHS loomed pretty good against UNC alongside XJ

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know if it is crazy.  Just a different way of looking at things.  

It's a pretty crazy way to look at a sports team/season. Again, we'd literally seen evidence of how good they could be. 

Top 10 team, big time chance at the B1G, and a Top 3 seed in March....

And that was just in year 2 with Woodson. 

I guess we can't say we would have won in 75 with a healthy May, 92? With Henderson, and Landon Tuners tragedy had no bearing on the 81-82 season, then. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by btownqb

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Then we don't know what would have happened if Scott May hadn't gotten hurt. We don't know what would have happened if Alan Henderson hadn't gotten hurt, etc., etc.

Edit: JHS loomed pretty good against UNC alongside XJ

Haha same wave length. Replied right after you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

You forgot about Benson.  You forgot about Kitchel.  lol

We do play a lot of revisionist history around here.  And I enjoy playing it myself.  But I get what some on the other side of the fence are saying.

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I wouldn't mind him leaving either, but I think he'd be crazy to leave a secure money situation for the uncertainty of another conference... 

Yep.

If he is interested, you’d think it’d be for the prestige of Georgetown and wanting the challenge to turn that around. But as we know, that selling point isn’t as alluring these days. 

If PSU thinks he’s their guy, they aren’t just going to roll over and let Georgetown poach him. Just like Alabama did with Nate Oats, they can wrap him up with an extension. B1G money is real. Football money is real. 

• Like 1