Selection Sunday

Just now, 5fouls said:

Duke played themselves into a 4 seed.  Virginia will also be a 4 seed.  The final two 4 seeds will come from among Indiana, Xavier, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and TCU.  We have the worst NET among those 5 teams.  I just can't see a path to the 4.  

Why would 2 teams from the ACC, in a down year for that conference, be automatic for the 4 line?

We beat Xavier at their place. Tennessee lost their starting point guard. Both they and A&M are from a weaker conference. TCU lost at the same point in their tournament as we did, albeit to Texas. Their conference record was worse than ours.

We stand just as good a chance as any of these schools of getting a 4 seed 

• Like 1

I think it depends entirely on whether conference tournaments are really valued.

If they aren't, like the committee suggests, we should be a 4.

If they are, we likely end up a 5.

In reality, there is very little difference between the two.  Really no operative difference in difficulty of path until you get to 3 or 6.

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We are firmly on the 5 line.  I hope IU fans understand that and don't feel cheated when the bracket is released.  As far as who we get, I don't want Oral Roberts or Drake.  Charleston or VCU would be better.  

Almost everyone who knows what they are talking about, has us as a 4. How are we firmly a 5?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Almost everyone who knows what they are talking about, has us as a 4. How are we firmly a 5?

1.  Duke played themselves into a 4.

2. The way the BTT played out did no one in the Big ten a favor other than Penn State and Purdue.  

3. We are 30 in NET.  That means we are the equivalent of an 8 seed based on the NCAA's primary ranking tool.  They are not going to 'gift' us 4 seed lines, especially into one of the preferred seed lines.

4.  Check the updated brackets this morning.  For those that have been updated, we have slipped to 5 in most of them.  

• Like 2

I was certain a 4 but yesterday’s loss to Penn State on a neutral court may have slipped us to the dreaded 5/12 matchup. Not to mention we haven’t been necessarily lighting it up as of late…we’re 4-4 the last 8. Of course; still holding out hope that we’ve done enough work for the 4 seed. 

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Duke played themselves into a 4 seed.  Virginia will also be a 4 seed.  The final two 4 seeds will come from among Indiana, Xavier, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and TCU.  We have the worst NET among those 5 teams.  I just can't see a path to the 4.  

Tennessee and Xavier are down starters.  I guess we will see how that plays out.

Bracket matrix has 30 or so sites that updated this morning and we're a 4 in around 80% of them. Seems like the best guess at this point. Remember, the committee gave a us a surprisingly strong seed when they did the preview, so it stands to reason they like parts of our resume (strong road wins and no bad losses, would be my guess).

• Like 2