Selection Sunday

1 minute ago, RoadToZion said:

Ok. They still know a lot more than us. And they have us a 4. Also I looked at updated ones, and “most” don’t have us a 5. 

The Big Ten Tournament literally screamed mediocrity.  And, the conference teams will be seeded accordingly.  

The Pac 12:  UCLA vs Arizona

The Big 12: Kansas vs Texas

The Big East: Marquette vs UConn

The Big Ten:  Purdue vs. Penn State

One of those is not like the other.  We had our chance.  We didn't win the game.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

1.  Duke played themselves into a 4.

2. The way the BTT played out did no one in the Big ten a favor other than Penn State and Purdue.  

3. We are 30 in NET.  That means we are the equivalent of an 8 seed based on the NCAA's primary ranking tool.  They are not going to 'gift' us 4 seed lines, especially into one of the preferred seed lines.

4.  Check the updated brackets this morning.  For those that have been updated, we have slipped to 5 in most of them.  

I'm not arguing whether we'll be a 4 or a 5, because I have no idea.  But just FYI, the NET is not the NCAA's primary ranking tool.  It is "a sorting tool."  That's why Tennessee won't be a 1 seed even though they're ranked #4 in the NET.  And my guess is there will be a team ranked #67 that will make the tournament, and a team ranked #27 left out.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The Big Ten Tournament literally screamed mediocrity.  And, the conference teams will be seeded accordingly.  

One of those is not like the other.  We had our chance.  We didn't win the game.  

I think you sell the Big 10 short...

The Big 10 ranks second among conferences in both Sagarin and TRACR

Maybe more parity than mediocrity?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think that Penn State could have beaten at least 3 of the teams you list here, both Big East teams as well as UCLA. The others, not sure of . Point being, some conferences were top heavy-Big East and PAC 12 especially so. Doesn’t reflect badly on IU or any highly seeded teams that didn’t make their finals if they played in a more balanced conference 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

He updated his bracket, back in 4 seed in South Regional

I can see us getting a 4 at Virginia's expense.  So, I can buy into us being a 4 under that scenario.  It's possible that the committee already had the ACC championship penciled in as a 4/5 'play-in'.  Winner gets the 4, loser gets the 5.  Helps them set more of the bracket in advance, knowing where the Big Ten and ACC teams are going to be.  I think UConn will be a 3 though.     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Lunardi knows very little. Some of you are talking about yesterday’s result….. the committee guy that spoke prior to our game said they already had the 1-8 seeding completed. Yesterday meant nothing for us or Duke. 

I will guaranty you that it meant something for Duke.  I outlined it above.  They had a spot on the 4 line dedicated to the ACC, and a spot on the 5 line Dedicated to the ACC.  Winner gets the 4 and loser gets the 5.  There is no way Virginia gets a higher side than Duke, especially considering that Duke got screwed out of a win against Virginia in the regular season.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I will guaranty you that it meant something for Duke.  I outlined it above.  They had a spot on the 4 line dedicated to the ACC, and a spot on the 5 line Dedicated to the ACC.  Winner gets the 4 and loser gets the 5.  There is no way Virginia gets a higher side than Duke, especially considering that Duke got screwed out of a win against Virginia in the regular season.  

Guaranty? No offense. You can’t guaranty anything? You don’t know what the committee is thinking or what they are looking at. The committee guy yesterday said the top seedings were already locked in….was a matter of finalizing the remaining teams in the field. Maybe he was lying…. 

Also, who was in the other three finals you listed speaks nothing to the mediocrity of the Big10. The PAC 12 might get three teams in. Terrible league outside of AZ and UCLA. The Big East had three really good teams….outside of Marquette, UCONN, and Xavier? The Big12 is the only conference that holds a higher light to the Big10 this year from top to bottom. 

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still think we are a 4 seed playing Yale

That could be problematic for IU. Lot of high IQ players could give this team fits.

Doesn't make any difference where the Hoosiers are seeded, next week starts one and done. If IU doesn't have other players not named TJD or JHS step up, it could be a short run.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

If IU doesn't have other players not named TJD or JHS step up, it could be a short run.....

This is a big reason why this team has a ceiling despite 2 first round draft picks (and a necessity to hit the portal hard before what appears to be a very strong 2024 class). Our secondary scoring/playmaking is severely lacking. I remember when we thought we had 2 starting lineups…good times. Not wanting to single out any particular role player because each one has their deficiencies…but I have to ask…Where has Galloway been the last several weeks? Also, for the love of God, someone please tell Kopp to stop passing up open 3s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

That could be problematic for IU. Lot of high IQ players could give this team fits.

Doesn't make any difference where the Hoosiers are seeded, next week starts one and done. If IU doesn't have other players not named TJD or JHS step up, it could be a short run.....

I get more worried about teams with small guards who can penetrate and teams that can hit 3's

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Hard to get involved when all we run is the pick and roll for 2 guys. Garbage points are left when TJD kicks it out. Its not like we run anything for shooters. 90% of the time Kopp isnt ready to shoot, maybe shocked he got the ball, IDK. I wish Kopp and TB's mind sets were reversed.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

We are firmly on the 5 line.  I hope IU fans understand that and don't feel cheated when the bracket is released.  As far as who we get, I don't want Oral Roberts or Drake.  Charleston or VCU would be better.  

Don't forget Act II of the performance: IU fans being outraged about the 5 seed, just like last year when we were too good for the First Four, then our season ends in embarrassing fashion and the meme factory unloads on us. 

I really don’t care if we’re a 4, 5, or 6. I don’t think that changes a whole lot for us. We can beat anybody in the country when we make shots and have the right intensity on D. We can also lose to a lot of teams we shouldn’t.  Hopefully we don’t get matchup nightmares like Iowa and PSU and we show up ready to play D for six straight games instead of one half of each game we play. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

The selection committee likes to set up tv worthy possibilities. I'm not as concerned about seeding as I am the location and path.

Yes, you have to beat good teams at some point regardless but I wouldn't be shocked to see some historically relevant rivalries awaiting in round 2.

I guess if we drop to a five, there’s no way UK would be the four. Can certainly see Duke and IU together as the 4/5 though! 

8 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

The selection committee likes to set up tv worthy possibilities. I'm not as concerned about seeding as I am the location and path.

Yes, you have to beat good teams at some point regardless but I wouldn't be shocked to see some historically relevant rivalries awaiting in round 2.

Count on it