Selection Sunday

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

The committee guy yesterday said the top seedings were already locked in….was a matter of finalizing the remaining teams in the field. Maybe he was lying…. 

He's not lying.  They could have the spots designated as such.

4 seed in South - ACC Champion

5 seed in East - ACC runner-up

Saying they are 'locked' doesn't mean that the specific teams are.  

Another example would be in the Pac 12.

2 seed in the West - Pac 12 Champion

2 seed in the East - Pac 12 runner-up

They have to do stuff like that when you have 2 teams from the same conference that are fairly equal.  

13 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Which is exactly what I said…

I'm conceding that we may get a 4 at Virginia's expense.  the more I think about it, I think they probably had the ACC Winner slotted a 4 and the runner-up at 5.  They assumed we would beat Penn State, but when we didn't it was really too late to change us, if for no other reason is that it could have required them to move around other Big ten teams.  

That said, I will not be shocked at all if we get a 5.  It's personally what I think we deserve.  

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Hard to get involved when all we run is the pick and roll for 2 guys. Garbage points are left when TJD kicks it out. Its not like we run anything for shooters. 90% of the time Kopp isnt ready to shoot, maybe shocked he got the ball, IDK. I wish Kopp and TB's mind sets were reversed.

I do think Kopp kind of looses focus waiting for a kick out. See tooo many times where JHS could look to pass it to him open and doesn’t. Maybe because JHS isn’t a looking-to-pass first PG.

• Like 1

I believe that the performance of teams are just a part... I think theres a backroom of TV executives and screen writers looking for the best storylines to get eyeballs for ad sells...it didn't use to be this way but it seems theres always a storyline anymore more then just two teams playing...so they may get them in a certain order then find what will sell tix /ads later in the brackets to keep interest of the non-seasonal (amateur) viewers...imho

Ima HOOSIER, Im mad as hell and I aint gonna take this anymore...!!!

I think I see the NCAA Van now...😉

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He's not lying.  They could have the spots designated as such.

4 seed in South - ACC Champion

5 seed in East - ACC runner-up

Saying they are 'locked' doesn't mean that the specific teams are.  

Another example would be in the Pac 12.

2 seed in the West - Pac 12 Champion

2 seed in the East - Pac 12 runner-up

They have to do stuff like that when you have 2 teams from the same conference that are fairly equal.  

Crimson Cast had a good podcast about this. The way I understand it….

They rank the top 16 seeds in order. These are protected and go 1st by proximity to the regional games/first weekend location, 2nd to confirm a higher seed doesn’t get a location disadvantage (i.e. playing a lower seeded Kentucky in Louisville) and 3rd to confirm the that teams from the same conference are not matched up against each other. 

So, they only look at conferences if the normal method of assigning the seeds presents a conflict. If there is a conflict then they move the lower seeded team. Then rinse and repeat until the bracket is filled out.

Edited by tdhoosier

While it would have been great to win the BTT, it might be a blessing to have another day off before the Big Dance. What scares me the most are teams in the draw that have multiple threats from 3. It always seems to take half the game before we make any adjustments, and start defending on the perimeter. All the season long we’ve played help defense and doubled when it wasn’t really necessary, leaving good 3 pt shooters wide open to knock down the shot. After yesterday’s game, let’s hope we’ve finally learned that lesson.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Crimson Cast had a good podcast about this. The way I understand it….

They rank the top 16 seeds in order. These are protected and go 1st by proximity to the regional games/first weekend location, 2nd to confirm a higher seed doesn’t get a disadvantage (i.e. playing a lower seeded Kentucky in Louisville and 3rd to confirm the that teams from the same conference are not matched up against each other. 

So, they only look at conferences if there’s a conflict. 

I'll stand by my opinion that Duke will have a more favorable seed/location than Virginia and that Arizona will get the 2 in the West, not UCLA.  Those would have been opposite if the results of yesterday's games had been different.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just catching up on stuff. If Xavier jumps us to 4 seed instead of us I'll be curious....only way I  won't be pissed is they give us the 5 seed with Tennessee (who is stumbling) the 4 seed in our bracket.

Still doesn't make sense to me that so many are suggesting 5 seed today.

Lunardi's 5 seeds are:  Virginia, TCU, Texas A&M, and Iowa State

All 4 have better Net Rankings than us.

3 of the 4 have a better KenPom than us.

3 of the 4 have more Quad 1 wins than us.

So, if it's none of those things that are keeping us on the 4 line, what is it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'll stand by my opinion that Duke will have a more favorable seed/location than Virginia and that Arizona will get the 2 in the West, not UCLA.  Those would have been opposite if the results of yesterday's games had been different.  

It depends on which teams are listed higher in the rankings. If UVA is ranked ahead of Duke, they will receive the more favorable locations. And vice versa. 

They moved to this method and ‘protected seeds’ to remove the insinuation of preferrencial placement. It’s a formula. So, opinions are irrelevant.

So, let’s say you have the following rankings:

1. Houston
2. Alabama
3. Kansas
4. Purdue
5. UCLA
6. AZ
7. Texas
8. Baylor

…and the following regions

KC
Louisville
Las Vegas
NY

….they place team by proximity

1 Houston - KC
1 Alabama - Louisville
1 Kansas - Vegas
1 Purdue - NY

*Kansas is closer to KC, but Houston gets that location because they are higher ranked…so Kansas goes to vegas.

2 UCLA - Vegas
2 AZ - KC
2 Texas - Louisville
2 Baylor - NY

*UCLA gets Vegas only because they are ranked ahead of AZ in the preliminary rankings.

And then they follow this same process for the first weekend locations (which is also why we have no chance of playing in Columbus unfortunately).

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It depends on which teams are listed higher in the rankings. If UVA is ranked ahead of Duke, they will receive the more favorable locations. And vice versa. 

They moved to this method and ‘protected seeds’ to remove the insinuation of preferrencial placement. It’s a formula. So, opinions are irrelevant.

So, let’s say you have the following rankings:

1. Houston
2. Alabama
3. Kansas
4. Purdue
5. UCLA
6. AZ
7. Texas
8. Baylor

…and the following regions

KC
Louisville
Las Vegas
NY

….they place team by proximity

1 Houston - KC
1 Alabama - Louisville
1 Kansas - Vegas
1 Purdue - NY

*Kansas is closer to KC, but Houston gets that location because they are higher ranked…so Kansas goes to vegas.

2 UCLA - Vegas
2 AZ - KC
2 Texas - Louisville
2 Baylor - NY

*UCLA gets Vegas only because they are ranked ahead of AZ in the preliminary rankings.

And then they follow this same process for the first weekend locations (which is also why we have no chance of playing in Columbus unfortunately).

I get all of that.  But, you have to adjust.  Houston lost their best player yesterday and are getting boat raced today.  No way they would keep the overall #1 in that scenario. If Virginia entered the week as a 4 seed and Duke as a 6 seed, you can't keep them in those slots based on this week.  Duke is playing like a Final 4 team right now.  

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Beating Purdue twice who will be a 1 seed?

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I get all of that.  But, you have to adjust.  Houston lost their best player yesterday and are getting boat raced today.  No way they would keep the overall #1 in that scenario. If Virginia entered the week as a 4 seed and Duke as a 6 seed, you can't keep them in those slots based on this week.  Duke is playing like a Final 4 team right now.  

Seems like the main point of contention is that you think the conference tournaments matter, and many of us don't. 

You may be right, but historically or at least in recent history, the committee has shown they don't or at least they don't afrer Friday. 

I’ve been pretty calm all day, but I’m starting to get the “where are seeded, who are we playing, and who is in our region” butterflies. 

Also, I know we have game(s) to go, but as the season winds down I just want to say that it’s been a pleasure riding through the highs and lows of another season with this crew here at HSN again. Let’s finish this one out strong then immediately start arguing about who we want from the portal. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’ve been pretty calm all day, but I’m starting to get the “where are seeded, who are we playing, and who is in our region” butterflies. 

Also, I know we have game(s) to go, but as the season winds down I just want to say that it’s been a pleasure riding through the highs and lows of another season with this crew here at HSN again. Let’s finish this one out strong then immediately start arguing about who we want from the portal. 

I think the portal discussions are going to be epic.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WRSMick55 said:

I do think Kopp kind of looses focus waiting for a kick out. See tooo many times where JHS could look to pass it to him open and doesn’t. Maybe because JHS isn’t a looking-to-pass first PG.

Imo, way too much dribbling by jhs last game.  Maybe not his fault, if guys not moving.  

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Seems like the main point of contention is that you think the conference tournaments matter, and many of us don't. 

You may be right, but historically or at least in recent history, the committee has shown they don't or at least they don't afrer Friday. 

I also think the things in the post of mine I quoted matter.  In fact, the committee says these things matter.

No one on here has offered a reason why the committee will conveniently overlook those things for IU.  

It may come down to what Scott said.  We did beat Purdue twice.  

Edited by 5fouls

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I also think the things in the post of mine I quoted matter.  In fact, the committee says these things matter.

No one on here has offered a reason why the committee will conveniently overlook those things for IU.  

It may come down to what Scott said.  We did beat Purdue twice.  

A couple of things. 

1) Linardi is not a good braketologist 

2) We may be a 4 seed or we may be a 5 seed. We don't know yet of course. 

3) My point hasn't been that we'll be a 4, not a 5. My point has been that yesterday has nothing to do with it. Today's result will have nothing to do with Houston's placement, etc. 

May im wrong, but in the recent past the committee has said/shown that very, very little changes after Friday, if not even earlier. 

• Like 1