Selection Sunday

6 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

👍

Ok..

...nothing about JHS thats inconsistent. Go look at his game log. 

JG isn't good. Idk what to tell you there. I'm not convinced he's a B1G basketball player. For him to be considered inconsistent, he would have to of been "good" at some point. 

TB.. you guys can rag on him. I havent subscribed. Needs to be better in spots, but has improved a ton since last season. 

TG... is asked to do too much. If he were in the role he should be... he would THRIVE. 

If by inconsistent, you mean imperfect, yeah sure. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

Any of you guys do survivor pools? I'm in one where you have to pick 2 winners on Thursday, 2 on Friday and 1 more each from there on out. The key is to obviously hold onto some teams that you think can go the distance while not getting cute and losing in first round.

Last year was a train wreck in first round because of teams like UConn, Kentucky, Iowa all losing. They were all like 5-6 seeds and fit the mold of a day 1 pick that should win but won't be around long.

I'm honestly considering going with Purdue in first round this year as one of my picks because of all the #1's I think they are the most risk of not going far. 

15 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Do any of these guys really know anything, though? I listened to an analyst on the BTN who thought that PUke had the easiest road of any B1G team to the Final Four. I really don’t know that any of the media guys know anything more than you or I.

I mean Purdue does have the easiest path to a Final Four by a wide margin when compared to other Big Ten teams. They earned that luxury with the season they had. 

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

Ok..

...nothing about JHS thats inconsistent. Go look at his game log. 

JG isn't good. Idk what to tell you there. I'm not convinced he's a B1G basketball player. For him to be considered inconsistent, he would have to of been "good" at some point. 

TB.. you guys can rag on him. I havent subscribed. Needs to be better in spots, but has improved a ton since last season. 

TG... is asked to do too much. If he were in the role he should be... he would THRIVE. 

If by inconsistent, you mean imperfect, yeah sure. 

Nah, inconsistent meaning not able to replicate play from game to game. A player can be imperfect AND consistent (MK is a prime example). None of what you stated (all true statements) determine consistency or inconsistency alone. They can certainly affect it, but what you said doesn’t cancel the meaning. 

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Maybe I'm missing something.... Define consistent for me. 

Guess my aging eyes are seeing something different  🙄

Probably easier to say how I don't define consistency. I don't define it solely by making and missing shots. 

Kopp plays hard consistently. He plays hard, smart defense consistently, and a lot of times defends guys that are tough to guard. He rarely turns the ball over. He knows and plays to his role offensively. 

He shoots 57% from 2pt range and 44% from 3pt range. 

He's only 5th on the team in FGA per game, so he's not a high volume guys, so I'm more judging him on those things in the first paragraph for consistency. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Nah, inconsistent meaning not able to replicate play from game to game. A player can be imperfect AND consistent (MK is a prime example). None of what you stated (all true statements) determine consistency or inconsistency alone. They can certainly affect it, but what you said doesn’t cancel the meaning. 

I think we just need a stretch 4 and a healthy PG, man. Everyone else gets to settle in the correct roles that way. 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Or just a like... 27-7 record. If the B1G FOY of the year isn't considered consistent, Idk who is. 

That doesn’t anoint him consistent. Sorry. Great potential, had some great games, but also had numerous bad to mediocre games. Wasn’t much in the middle for him. Was really good against UNC, @Iowa, Nwestern, Wiscy, OSU, both Purdue games for example, but was mediocre to bad vs MSU, @Minny, @MD, vs Rutgers, @PSU, @Illinois, @Kansas, @Xavier. I mean he was a freshman, so I expect some bad or questionable play but I don’t know you can argue he wasn’t inconsistent. Consistent is sprinkling in a few bad games into a ton of great games. It happens, but when half of your big10, high major games were subpar, that’s inconsistent. Hopefully we see the good JHS in the tournament. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

That doesn’t anoint him consistent. Sorry. Great potential, had some great games, but also had numerous bad to mediocre games. Wasn’t much in the middle for him. Was really good against UNC, @Iowa, Nwestern, Wiscy, OSU, both Purdue games for example, but was mediocre to bad vs MSU, @Minny, @MD, vs Rutgers, @PSU, @Illinois, @Kansas, @Xavier. I mean he was a freshman, so I expect some bad or questionable play but I don’t know you can argue he wasn’t inconsistent. Consistent is sprinkling in a few bad games into a ton of great games. It happens, but when half of your big10, high major games were subpar, that’s inconsistent. Hopefully we see the good JHS in the tournament. 

I don't know that you can argue he was inconsistent. The main reason for any poor play was lack of help on the perimeter/handling the ball. He was fine at Kansas. Not shocking he played poorly at XU in his first road game. Everyone was bad at PSU. He missed shots against Maryland, yes. He played 100% fine against Rutgers. 

Home against MSU he did not play well, nor at Minnesota.. without his coach. None of screams inconsistent. 

All you did was go and find his low scoring games and said he played poorly in those games.

The last 11 games of the year he avged 16ppg 4r 3a. solid, solid #s. 

5 minutes ago, Basketball Junkie said:

I do think consistency can be defined in more ways than one. But looking solely at numbers it's hard to argue JHS was very consistent. A 33 point game followed by 11. A 3 game stretch with 6, 24 and 3. A 35 point game followed by 8.  

sure if we are only going to use points as the measuring stick... 

16, 7, 21, 13, 13, 16, 35, 8, 13, 19, 11..... how is that inconsistent? That's just good. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't know that you can argue he was inconsistent. The main reason for any poor play was lack of help on the perimeter/handling the ball. He was fine at Kansas. Not shocking he played poorly at XU in his first road game. Everyone was bad at PSU. He missed shots against Maryland, yes. He played 100% fine against Rutgers. 

Home against MSU he did not play well, nor at Minnesota.. without his coach. None of screams inconsistent. 

All you did was go and find his low scoring games and said he played poorly in those games.

The last 11 games of the year he avged 16ppg 4r 3a. solid, solid #s. 

No, I didn’t go find anything. I looked at the schedule and from memory gave you examples. Left out plenty of games, and anybody with common sense knows it’s not simply about scoring. An average doesn’t prove consistency though.

At home was against Iowa was another dreadful performance for him, especially on defense. I’m not trying to pick on JHS. Again, great potential, seems like a great kid, won some games for us on his own, but I’m confused how you can say he was consistent with the number of bad games he threw up. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, kyhoosier29 said:

No, I didn’t go find anything. I looked at the schedule and from memory gave you examples. Left out plenty of games, and anybody with common sense knows it’s not simply about scoring. An average doesn’t prove consistency though.

At home was against Iowa was another dreadful performance for him, especially on defense. I’m not trying to pick on JHS. Again, great potential, seems like a great kid, won some games for us on his own, but I’m confused how you can say he was consistent with the number of bad games he threw up. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You don't like 16ppg avgs over 11 game time frames? very confusing to laugh at the prior post, but yeah... we will have to agree to disagree that the B1G FOY is inconsistent. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You don't like 16ppg avgs over 11 game time frames? very confusing to laugh at the prior post, but yeah... we will have to agree to disagree that the B1G FOY is inconsistent. 

Sure, the average is great but doesn’t prove your claim. You can score 40 one game and 0 the next and say “isn’t averaging 20 great?”. An average over that time period says that he was pretty good. It doesn’t say that he was consistent or inconsistent. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

sure if we are only going to use points as the measuring stick... 

16, 7, 21, 13, 13, 16, 35, 8, 13, 19, 11..... how is that inconsistent? That's just good. 

Using the examples I listed. The really good ones find a way every night.

25,20,28,23, 26,19,10,26,27,24,24.... Theres consistent. With the one outlier being because JHS took 24 shots.

Just now, kyhoosier29 said:

Sure, the average is great but doesn’t prove your claim. You can score 40 one game and 0 the next and say “isn’t averaging 20 great?”. An average over that time period says that he was pretty good. It doesn’t say that he was consistent or inconsistent. 

those were his last 11 games.... those 11 games... don't say inconsistent at all. 

1 minute ago, Basketball Junkie said:

Using the examples I listed. The really good ones find a way every night.

25,20,28,23, 26,19,10,26,27,24,24.... Theres consistent. With the one outlier being because JHS took 24 shots.

Did you just post 11 games or something of TJDs as an example to try and show why JHS isn't consistent? 

And if THAT is the measuring stick.... literally 99% of players in the country aren't consistent. Which is fine, but that is absolutely what you're saying.