Selection Sunday

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

Kent state shoots 24 threes per game, but they only hit an average of 8. Gotta pressure them off the three line. If they shoot above average from three, it could get ugly.

So if they make 8 and we make 2, thats a problem, and we MUST win with FTs.  Not real easy for us.  

1 minute ago, John S said:

So if they make 8 and we make 2, thats a problem, and we MUST win with FTs.  Not real easy for us.  

Not really. You didn't count what we do with our other possessions. We might only make 2, but we're not taking 24. We'd score on 2pt field goals on many of those extra possessions compared to their 24 3pt attempts. 

• Like 4

I was glad to see 8 B1G teams get in. I posted earlier I thought it would be 5-6.

I've grown out of my hatred for almost all B1G teams. I'd rather see a B1G team advance over an ACC or SEC team. Do I like all the teams in the B1G? No...but I don't hate them anymore either.

IF...we can find a way to play with intensity and focus, then I think we go at least to the S16.

I guess we'll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

Also, while drawing Houston is great, there's a good chance we'd see Iowa if we make it that far. Not sure I like that matchup given what went down couple weeks ago.

Yeah.  But, it's hard to beat a team 3 times in the same season, or so I'm told.  :coffee:

48 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m sure it’s been discussed but am I the only one that thinks Purdue got hosed with that draw. Duke looming in s16 is a tough matchup and Marquette wouldn’t be a great one either although the bottom half is pretty weak. I thought Duke belonged on the 3 line in the bottom of that bracket. Tennessee was a 5 seed easily with their injuries and the way they limped home….but no one wanted a Duke/UK matchup??

Have to be able to beat good teams unfortunately and being the last number 1 seed probably didn’t give us the benefit of the doubt. We’ve already beaten Duke and Marquette so that helps at least that we know what’s worked against them. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m sure it’s been discussed but am I the only one that thinks Purdue got hosed with that draw. Duke looming in s16 is a tough matchup and Marquette wouldn’t be a great one either although the bottom half is pretty weak. I thought Duke belonged on the 3 line in the bottom of that bracket. Tennessee was a 5 seed easily with their injuries and the way they limped home….but no one wanted a Duke/UK matchup??

Just like we don’t want to see a good shooting team, PU doesn’t want to see a press against their freshmen guards…..and they could face a a Shaka Smart team. 

5 hours ago, WRSMick55 said:

I do think Kopp kind of looses focus waiting for a kick out. See tooo many times where JHS could look to pass it to him open and doesn’t. Maybe because JHS isn’t a looking-to-pass first PG.

It was funny early in the season JHS to Kopp was like an automatic thing 2-3 times a game. Imo Kopp just has one of the slowest releases in B1G history. If it isn’t in his shooting pocket on the catch…it ain’t happening.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Have to be able to beat good teams unfortunately and being the last number 1 seed probably didn’t give us the benefit of the doubt. We’ve already beaten Duke and Marquette so that helps at least that we know what’s worked against them. 

I’d hate playing a team a second time. They will know what adjustments to make. But outside Duke that is a very winnable bracket. Horrible Kentucky team at the bottom…wounded Tennessee and weak 8-9. You get by Duke…which like you said you can it isn’t bad…but Duke when healthy hasn’t lost many…and they are red hot. Time will tell. At least you won’t have to worry about the Coach K effect.

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Just like we don’t want to see a good shooting team, PU doesn’t want to see a press against their freshmen guards…..and they could face a a Shaka Smart team. 

I don’t know if Marquette makes it that far…but heck that bottom bracket is very weak. Outside of Duke the whole bracket is pretty poor imo.

• Like 1