The non-IU National Tournament thread…

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think you're being a little touchy on this one. I made that post because I thought it was a crazy note that KSU's entire team was transfers. 

Wasn't making any other point or even thinking of the conversation on the recruiting board from last weekend or earlier this week. 

If that's the case, then I apologize...

But there are comments below yours that use your post to take a swipe at the stance I have on what I believe IU's culture should be...And I've explained that ad nauseam...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Do you have some sort of point to make here? And again, you dismiss a coaching change...

And is K-State the exception or the rule? Look at the other teams in the Sweet Sixteen...Are the majority of their rosters made up of transfers, or did they recruit and develop? Michigan State? Florida Atlantic? UCONN? UCLA? Gonzaga?

OK, what's your vision for the culture to be at IU?

Why would I give two craps what Kansas State does?

I think you are making too much out of this idea of "culture."

There are obvious things, things that every program strives for. Like, commitment to excellence, commitment to team, staying on top of academics. After that, I think that in today's game that culture is something determined each year, based on the makeup of the team. If a head coach tries to develop just one way of doing things, his "culture" then he runs the risk of not adapting to change, of pigeonholing players into being a certain way, thus limiting the pool of players to draw from.

Really, the only constant that should be in CMW's culture is that he will do as much as he can to push, train and prepare the players for the next stage of their lives, whether that be in sports, or something else.

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

There are obvious things, things that every program strives for. Like, commitment to excellence, commitment to team, staying on top of academics. After that, I think that in today's game that culture is something determined each year, based on the makeup of the team. If a head coach tries to develop just one way of doing things, his "culture" then he runs the risk of not adapting to change, of pigeonholing players into being a certain way, thus limiting the pool of players to draw from.

Really, the only constant that should be in CMW's culture is that he will do as much as he can to push, train and prepare the players for the next stage of their lives, whether that be in sports, or something else.

i agree with pretty much 0% of this.

When you walk into X recruit's home. you sell your culture to the parents. God, family, basketball. work hard, study hard, get a degree, listen to CMW and train hard i will put you in the best position to go to NBA, dont deliver guns to teammates etc. etc.

culture is about off season and off court stuff. look at any winning program college or highschool and tell me they dont have a culture.

i have said culture too many times the word is starting to sound weird.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

When you walk into X recruit's home. you sell your culture to the parents. God, family, basketball. work hard, study hard, get a degree, listen to CMW and train hard i will put you in the best position to go to NBA, dont deliver guns to teammates etc. etc.

culture is about off season and off court stuff. look at any winning program college or highschool and tell me they dont have a culture.

You sort of highlighted your own contradiction.  The team most likely to win has potentially the worst culture in the country.   

47 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

That's pretty much what I said

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

You sort of highlighted your own contradiction.  The team most likely to win has potentially the worst culture in the country.   

So because "everybody else is doing it" (which is not the case) we should sacrifice our integrity to follow?

Well run programs with a solid culture can and do win... Virginia, Villanova under Jay Wright...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So because "everybody else is doing it" (which is not the case) we should sacrifice our integrity to follow?

Well run programs with a solid culture can and do win... Virginia, Villanova under Jay Wright...

Absolutely not.  It's just a sad fact.  Them and Houston.  And what, over the last 35 years, cheating g was the way.  Self last year rewarded for his behavior.  Odds on favorite this year will be rewarded.  It's sick actually.  Just pointing on the contradiction. 

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Absolutely not.  It's just a sad fact.  Them and Houston.  And what, over the last 35 years, cheating g was the way.  Self last year rewarded for his behavior.  Odds on favorite this year will be rewarded.  It's sick actually.  Just pointing on the contradiction. 

Since I live down here, I've always wanted to go to a Cougars' game in my IU gear and heckle Sampson :) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

"culture is something determined each year"

😮

My $.02 about culture:

A head coach (or any leader, head of a company, etc.) must declare his/her vision and then do their absolute best to establish a foundation and direction that fits the objective. Culture is the nuance, the particulars, the basic tenets of a leader's philosophy that transcend roster turnover, and provide a framework for which all is judged and compared.

An effective leader is capable of communicating that vision clearly to his/her team while having them buy into a collective pursuit of a common goal. Culture is the Why, not the How. The Why is the constant and the How is always in flux; the adaptation of personnel, circumstance, money, injury and other factors. The How is what separates programs from one another.

Gregg Popovich has a very clear approach to basketball. He has garnered a lot of respect (and success) from his approach to coaching and establishing a distinct culture. What makes him even greater than his other successful peers, is that within the parameters of his coaching, he's still able to adapt to the players that he has. He's on record apologizing for how he misused LaMarcus Aldridge when he first came over from Portland. Pop's intelligence allowed him to shift How they played, but he never changed his Why. And Aldridge didn't try to force him to, either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick question for the people who follow the bracketing metrics closely. Would FAU have qualified for tourney if they didn't win conference tourney over UAB? I know they had like a 31-3 but just was curious if they were one of the programs that had to win to get in.

I think they were safely in since they were an 8/9 seed. UAB would have been a bid stealer. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Of course Jay Wright retired because he didn't want to deal with the portal and NIL. I think most people would rather build via HS recruits but it's going to be really difficult to keep doing that IMO.

Timme sure gets a lot of latitude from the stripes....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Of course Jay Wright retired because he didn't want to deal with the portal and NIL. I think most people would rather build via HS recruits but it's going to be really difficult to keep doing that IMO.

Timme sure gets a lot of latitude from the stripes....

Well if you don't count the first time he traveled, he only took one extra step the second time he traveled. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick question for the people who follow the bracketing metrics closely. Would FAU have qualified for tourney if they didn't win conference tourney over UAB? I know they had like a 31-3 but just was curious if they were one of the programs that had to win to get in.

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I think they were safely in since they were an 8/9 seed. UAB would have been a bid stealer. 

Agree. They finished 13th in the NET and were 6-3 in Quad 1 & 2 games. Plus C-USA was a fairly solid conference. N TX and UAB are both in the final four of the NIT. Charlotte is in the championship game of the CBI. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

During last night’s Tennessee-FAU game they kept cutting away to show Alan Houston. When the game was out of reach for the Vols, I could have sworn that I heard him say, “yeah, but I kicked some HSN dude’s adz back in the day.”🤪🤪🤪😂😂

For the newer posters, former Vol and NBA player Alan Houston dropped something like 60 points on our own @bluegrassIUduring a high school game.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think they would have.  heir NET, KenPom, Quad wins, etc. were all very strong.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

there was no contradiction I didnt mention which one wins you championships. But i would be willing to bet Alabama's culture is not sustainable.

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

That's pretty much what I said

yes, but you said that cultures dont exist and change year to year. They dont. The culture of your program is engrained in your system. I would agree that some things change year to year depending on personnel, but culture is not one of them. 

3 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

there was no contradiction I didnt mention which one wins you championships. But i would be willing to bet Alabama's culture is not sustainable.

Winning and a quality culture are not a necessity.  Sure that's what we would prefer and certainly want at IU and we have the leadership to pull it off.  Dolla Bill and even cry baby Izzo have been a trash culture with going on 2 decades of winning without consequences.   I'm not being confrontational and I probably worded it poorly, but sadly high standards of quality culture aren't the only recipe to winning.  Coach K would boast of his brotherhood,  which was also code word for cover, conceal, and put momma in a half million dollar house and hook your dad up with a job he isn't remotely qualified for and pay him 5 times more than he should.  Paypal Cal the same with shoebox of cash etc etc.  

• Like 1