The non-IU National Tournament thread…

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Winning and a quality culture are not a necessity.  Sure that's what we would prefer and certainly want at IU and we have the leadership to pull it off.  Dolla Bill and even cry baby Izzo have been a trash culture with going on 2 decades of winning without consequences.   I'm not being confrontational and I probably worded it poorly, but sadly high standards of quality culture aren't the only recipe to winning.  Coach K would boast of his brotherhood,  which was also code word for cover, conceal, and put momma in a half million dollar house and hook your dad up with a job he isn't remotely qualified for and pay him 5 times more than he should.  Paypal Cal the same with shoebox of cash etc etc.  

I would agree with a lot of that. I think perception comes into play here as well. 

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The question is does culture leads to winning or does winning brings culture to your team.

In successful programs, I believe culture leads to winning. It's having the structure in place to be successful, communicating expectations and then holding coaches and players accountable. If that leads to winning, then it reinforces the culture and it becomes sustainable.

I would add, though, that there are coaches who will put winning and playing to their system above all else. What happens off the court doesn't matter as long as the players don't lose eligibility. That can be a culture that leads to a lot of winning, it just may not be comfortable to some people.

Edited by 13th&Jackson

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The question is does culture leads to winning or does winning brings culture to your team.

I believe you and I have a similar idea of what culture means aka doing things the right way and not cheating. 

Personally, I believe neither leads to the other. I think it’s extremely hard to win within a culture of not cheating. The combination of the two must be developed from day one starting with the AD and the Coach. Gonzaga and Mark Few is an example of the decades long implementation of culture and winning that is extremely hard to create and sustain.  

Most universities imo opt for one or the other. Universities such as North Carolina, Auburn, Kansas, Arizona have opted to win at the expense of culture because it is simply easier to skirt the rules at the expense of culture.   

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Interesting that Jay Wright was just talking about practicing and getting better and mentioned “ the culture that starts at the beginning of the year.”

Of course, you're introducing new people into the culture every year.

But the basic tenets that form the base of that culture probably changed very little in Wright's time at Villanova 

• Like 1