R64 Kent State Post Game Thread

KDB

9 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Ok.

That's basically what I said. I'm merely addressing those who DON'T like them. The TNT studio teams are extremely knowledgable about basketball, yet they are in a "weakened" position because they have to talk about college players and teams that they haven't really been following all year (because they're focused on the NBA).

Of course they understand the game and can speak to the strengths/weaknesses, but it's more cursory than intimate. Because of this, the product that is delivered to the fans watching on TV isn't as good as it could be. As a fan, you want the announcers to know every little detail and get it correct every time. If they say "Tamar Banks" or "the power forward" it can be agitating.

I was agreeing with you, I apologize for not making that clear. 

The minor goofs that you mentioned, maybe just dont bother me as much, I'd say thats why they're my favorite. 

Plus Charles is just great. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

There is a lot of self-aggrandizing and ludicrous pedestal placement, that's for sure.

I'm also a pretty big NBA guy and watch the TNT guys all of the time so am used to them. That probably frame my perspective a bit vs people that don't normally watch Kenny, Charles and Ernie Johnson. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I was agreeing with you, I apologize for not making that clear. 

The minor goofs that you mentioned, maybe just dont bother me as much, I'd say thats why they're my favorite. 

Plus Charles is just great. 

Chuck is awesome. I love that he’s part of the studio for college games. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm also a pretty big NBA guy and watch the TNT guys all of the time so am used to them. That probably frame my perspective a bit vs people that don't normally watch Kenny, Charles and Ernie Johnson. 

I watch them all the time as well. I think they're great... it's an absolute perfect combo. Those three and Shaq have such great chemistry and they love to take the piss out of one another.

Ernie Johnson is without peer, imho. He is SOOOO good and adept at keeping the ship moving ahead, while allowing all the goofiness to play out. He is an absolute dynamo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I watch them all the time as well. I think they're great... it's an absolute perfect combo. Those three and Shaq have such great chemistry and they love to take the piss out of one another.

Ernie Johnson is without peer, imho. He is SOOOO good and adept at keeping the ship moving ahead, while allowing all the goofiness to play out. He is an absolute dynamo.

For some reason I can't "like" posts right now, but I completely agree. 

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can't remember the last time I actually watched TNT NBA game so I don't watch them. At least they don't have Shaq on there any longer. For the studio I just rather have guys who actually watched college games this year. He can he annoying sometimes but nobody knows the college game in and out like John Rothstein. They put him on CBS Sports network but should be on the actual CBS studio.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Lemme put my crack pipe down, hold on... 

Idk. I like TNT guys better than any studio guys around, especially when you add Kellogg to the mix. 

Let me get out my Bilasstrator.  Bunch of freaking idiots.  I will say Seth Greenberg at least know college basketball inside and out.  

Reece Davis is fine.  Ellis is not good.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Between2Halls said:

I liked how we didn’t buckle on any of KS mini spurts. Especially considering how many of those spurts were aided by weird or lucky moments. A good resilient effort last night. 

Five of Sincere's points, that 1/3 of his total pts, came on that prayer 3 pointer and that prayer from the side that nearly needed to go over the backboard. It never felt like we were really threatened in this game. The score did not reflect the total control that we had.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

But they know so much more ball and can talk simply. Seth Davis has zero clue about ball, he just talks and knows good players. 

Kenny Smith might not know the teams, but he knew the EXACT difference immediately between TJD/Edey Indiana/Purdue. We can play multiple ways. Purdue cant. 

Kenny Smith is better than anybody ESPN has, imo. Not talking announcers of games.  Talking studio guys. 

I saw that too. Kenny made it very clear why we have a better chance of going deep than PU. These guys don't know too much prior to the games, but do know what they are seeing on the court.

• Like 2

Did anyone else see after Trayce did a beautiful drop-step move in the 2nd half and Kent State called a timeout, Woody jumping Trayce's arse about something... Trayce just took it, but I thought that was a clear signal as to their relationship...

Coach me... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

Haven't seen any mention of the officiating, but I think it'll really help us if this is an indicator of how games will be called. In the Big Ten we would frequently pick up a lot of fouls on the perimeter but then the other team would be allowed to hammer us inside - last night they called it relatively the same on the perimeter as they did inside IMO. Hoping that continues to be the case. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Did anyone else see after Trayce did a beautiful drop-step move in the 2nd half and Kent State called a timeout, Woody jumping Trayce's arse about something... Trayce just took it, but I thought that was a clear signal as to their relationship...

Coach me... 

I noticed that too. I'm pretty sure it was about TJD not getting back on defense. Right before his score he loafed back on D and Kent St got an easy score early in the clock. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

But they know so much more ball and can talk simply. Seth Davis has zero clue about ball, he just talks and knows good players. 

Kenny Smith might not know the teams, but he knew the EXACT difference immediately between TJD/Edey Indiana/Purdue. We can play multiple ways. Purdue cant. 

Kenny Smith is better than anybody ESPN has, imo. Not talking announcers of games.  Talking studio guys. 

I like the TNT studio shows for the NBA.  They do a good job and they are entertaining.   I think they get good ratings.  They know their stuff and they are entertaining.

And Doris Burke is really good with the NBA.  

Just my opinions, of course.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Coach me... 

I will keep saying it because I believe it deeply. Trayce is a great kid and has outstanding character.  

I have followed him and touted him since he was a 10th grader at Center Grove.  I know I’m not alone on this.  Many of us here did this.   Back then he hadn’t fully grown yet and his ranking wasn’t what it would be.  

In those seven years, I don’t think I’ve ever posted a negative thing about him other than he had to improve his right hand lol.  

And aside from all his excellent play, character, and leadership (including in the midst of a coaching change), the kid has gotten better and better.  That tells you how coachable he is and that he works.  He’s obviously smart and a credit to his parents. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Lemme put my crack pipe down, hold on... 

Idk. I like TNT guys better than any studio guys around, especially when you add Kellogg to the mix. 

I don't think Kenny Smith puts enough effort into learning the college players/teams before the tournament. 

I don't want him to be able to be able to tell me the difference between TJD and Edey after the Friday night games.  I want him to know that BEFORE the Friday games are played.  

Anyone that thought Kent State could upset an Indiana team that played well has to be questioned.  All the 'experts' that said watch out for Kent State said that because of how 'dangerous' Kent State was.  I could buy into the idea of an upset if the focus was on how Indiana could be inconsistent.  But, the whole focus was on Kent State.  Well, I'm hear to tell all those 'experts' that Kent State had a 0.00000000% chance of beating IU if IU played well.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL @ Kent State feeling like it would be an upset if they lost this game.

IU clearly outclassed Kent State.  Watching the replay and while they played inspired ball, the talent and polish difference was apparent.

Yeah, they had no real chance at any point. Clearly outclassed. 

47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think Kenny Smith puts enough effort into learning the college players/teams before the tournament. 

I don't want him to be able to be able to tell me the difference between TJD and Edey after the Friday night games.  I want him to know that BEFORE the Friday games are played.  

Anyone that thought Kent State could upset an Indiana team that played well has to be questioned.  All the 'experts' that said watch out for Kent State said that because of how 'dangerous' Kent State was.  I could buy into the idea of an upset if the focus was on how Indiana could be inconsistent.  But, the whole focus was on Kent State.  Well, I'm hear to tell all those 'experts' that Kent State had a 0.00000000% chance of beating IU if IU played well.  

I understand what you’re saying, but there were plenty of non-NBA guys saying that. 

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I understand what you’re saying, but there were plenty of non-NBA guys saying that. 

I look at it this way.  No one can watch so much basketball that they are totally familiar with both IU and Kent State.  But, those analysts understand enough about college basketball that they know TJD was a 1st team All-American and that JHS is a strong candidate to be drafted in the middle of the first round of the NBA draft.

Knowing those things about TJD and JHS, what would prompt an analyst to pick a Kent Statt team they probably have not seen play all year.  

It's either

• Disrespect of JHS and TJD, not believing they are as good as advertised.
  • Total disrespect of the rest of the IU program, not believing they should beat Kent State despite IU having TJD and JHS.

Again, if they sprinkled in that IU could be a little Jekyl and Hyde, then okay.  But, that wasn't the narrative.  The narrative was Kent State was good enough to give us fits.  And, that was not the case.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Haven't seen any mention of the officiating, but I think it'll really help us if this is an indicator of how games will be called. In the Big Ten we would frequently pick up a lot of fouls on the perimeter but then the other team would be allowed to hammer us inside - last night they called it relatively the same on the perimeter as they did inside IMO. Hoping that continues to be the case. 

It’s funny you say that bc two of the officials were Big10 guys. Pfeiffer and the black official do Big10 games. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I like K Smith quite a bit. Kellogg and Barkley more.

• Like 1