2023 Coaching Carousel

6 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if PSU goes the power five assistant route again. It worked for them, with Shrew. It has worked for Kansas St and Arizona got the top assistant from Gonzaga  and has had success. 

https://nittanylionswire.usatoday.com/lists/10-head-coaching-candidates-for-penn-state-mens-basketball/?itm_source=parsely-api

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

I think McDermott (he's had chances to leave Creighton for "bigger" jobs before) and Matta are stretches... Other than that, good list... 

As far as the assistant Pickett is lobbying for, IU's been there ☹️

Edited by IUFLA

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think McDermott (he's had chances to leave Creighton for "bigger" jobs before) and Matta are stretches... Other than that, good list... 

I view that author's write-up as a wish list.  

57 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, McDermott makes no sense. He's from IA and has spent his entire life and career in the central and upper Midwest. No ties to PA or the Philly area (where you have to recruit for PSU). His current roster doesn't have a US player from east of Chicago. 

He did his time at IA ST, which didn't go well. He has a good gig at Creighton. 

No reason for Matta to go to PSU, either. 

Here's another list. Can't imagine Jay Wright at PSU. I would rank likelihood of Fisher, Urgo and then Langel.

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/men_basketball/7-potential-coaches-who-could-take-over-for-micah-shrewsberry-and-lead-penn-state-basketball/article_3f49da82-c911-11ed-9794-a3536e41c8a0.html

On 3/22/2023 at 11:11 AM, IUFLA said:

He was suspended from the team under Anderson...

The kid has issues... 

More than once I think. 

Also may have had another concussion from taking an elbow in practice.

He's an immature kid and not sure what impact these concussions are having, hope he can find a good place.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Heard Texas wants to make a run at Billy Donavon. Terry’s issue is he struggles to recruit…right now he is coaching kids he didn’t bring in. I’d be ok with it but I think that would be a mistake for Penn St. 

I don’t like Shrews back in Indiana recruiting. Killed us recruiting at Purdue…going to be hard to get any kids north of I70 now with Michigan, Michigan St, ND, and Purdue all heavily invested in that area. Good news is maybe he pulls kids from Purdues bucket…looks like we are going to have to continue to build on our National recruiting base…might not be a bad thing.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t like Shrews back in Indiana recruiting. Killed us recruiting at Purdue…going to be hard to get any kids north of I70 now with Michigan, Michigan St, ND, and Purdue all heavily invested in that area. Good news is maybe he pulls kids from Purdues bucket…looks like we are going to have to continue to build on our National recruiting base…might not be a bad thing.

So, according to you then, we might as well give up on Bidunga and Haralson.🙄

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, according to you then, we might as well give up on Bidunga and Haralson.🙄

I never said that…I said it’s been almost impossible already…and it’s only getting harder with Shrewsberry back in the state who is very very respected. Just saying the national approach might continue to be our primary way forward for awhile…it isn’t like we have been cleaning up the state lately.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I never said that…I said it’s been almost impossible already…and it’s only getting harder with Shrewsberry back in the state who is very very respected. Just saying the national approach might continue to be our primary way forward for awhile…it isn’t like we have been cleaning up the state lately.

It’s harder because the attention has been elsewhere. Ignoring the northern part of the state is a huge mistake imo

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It’s harder because the attention has been elsewhere. Ignoring the northern part of the state is a huge mistake imo

I wasn’t implying we ignore the northern part of the state. Just that my expectations are not very high…especially as the competition gets stronger for that area. We have plenty of resources so we aren’t packing our bags up and going home…just the track record has not been good over the years…probably not changing now. 

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

I don’t see Shrewsberry as a the slightest recruiting threat in Indiana.  He wasn’t a threat while at Purdue or Butler. Matta has a better chance of recruiting over IU and Purdue

And it's ND. Not saying a bad program by any means, but they typically recruit a different type of player then IU & Purdue. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

But that was with Brey. New coach new system new players. No? 

I mean, has ND really ever recruited the same players? I don't mean one guy here and there, I mean consistently?

I'm sure Shrewsbury will have a few more inroads in Indiana given his history, but it's really a different kind of kid that goes to ND. 

• Like 3