Indiana Roster 2023-2024

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Can’t remember the last player from the Chicago area that played for IU. My point is that now folks are wanting to get in on kids like Essegian that we probably could have had, had we paid attention. Meanwhile, we have an Indy kid from the same class who barely saw the floor this year 

If we're being fair here, it's important to acknowledge a couple of things. One, Gunn and Essegian are different players servicing different roles for their respective teams. Two, Gunn was not coming in with a realistic expectation to unseat an incumbent starter in XJ, and was not projected higher than JHS. I did not follow Essegian's recruitment, but I'm not sure if he came to IU his role, minutes and production would've been the exact same. And that's because Three, Wisconsin was an inferior team to IU this season. Our overall talent level and play was better. Essegian stood out on his squad because they weren't as talented as before.

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yes, I know. How about in the last 25 years?  The post was that we are prioritizing certain areas. If Chicago is one of them, maybe it’s time to reevaluate.

I knew someone would cherry pick one of the cities I listed and try and make a counterpoint. If you don't feel Chicago is good enough, ok. I disagree and still feel a big metropolitan city (the third largest in the country just under 4 hours away from Bloomington by car) is a better focal point for recruiting basketball talent than Northern Indiana.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

If we're being fair here, it's important to acknowledge a couple of things. One, Gunn and Essegian are different players servicing different roles for their respective teams. Two, Gunn was not coming in with a realistic expectation to unseat an incumbent starter in XJ, and was not projected higher than JHS. I did not follow Essegian's recruitment, but I'm not sure if he came to IU his role, minutes and production would've been the exact same. And that's because Three, Wisconsin was an inferior team to IU this season. Our overall talent level and play was better. Essegian stood out on his squad because they weren't as talented as before.

I knew someone would cherry pick one of the cities I listed and try and make a counterpoint. If you don't feel Chicago is good enough, ok. I disagree and still feel a big metropolitan city (the third largest in the country just under 4 hours away from Bloomington by car) is a better focal point for recruiting basketball talent than Northern Indiana.

I'm not trying to cherry pick, just saying that if recruiting is going to prioritize different places, then the results should show. Frankly, from the cities you mentioned, there has been nothing from Chicago, and Vic but nothing else from the DC area. New York has provided some players-Devonte, Vonleh and Bryant, although those all go back to the Crean era. Atlanta, or Georgia in general has been the biggest provider.

Probably Essegian wouldn't have had a similar role this year at IU. My point was that we have been clamoring for shooters, in the recent past, this season, and from the portal, and there are kids that fit that role right here in our home state that don't get looked at. Loyer was another, and as @IUJoementioned, Goode as well. My point as well, is that IU has not put much effort in creating a presence in NE Indiana and haven't attempted to turn around the recruiting dynamics leading to kids going elsewhere. Maybe the metropolitan areas are where the resources should be directed, but kids that could help or could have helped IU are not even considered....until they do well elsewhere, and then all of a sudden they should be targets of the portal process.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I'm not trying to cherry pick, just saying that if recruiting is going to prioritize different places, then the results should show. Frankly, from the cities you mentioned, there has been nothing from Chicago, and Vic but nothing else from the DC area. New York has provided some players-Devonte, Vonleh and Bryant, although those all go back to the Crean era. Atlanta, or Georgia in general has been the biggest provider.

Probably Essegian wouldn't have had a similar role this year at IU. My point was that we have been clamoring for shooters, in the recent past, this season, and from the portal, and there are kids that fit that role right here in our home state that don't get looked at. Loyer was another, and as @IUJoementioned, Goode as well. My point as well, is that IU has not put much effort in creating a presence in NE Indiana and haven't attempted to turn around the recruiting dynamics leading to kids going elsewhere. Maybe the metropolitan areas are where the resources should be directed, but kids that could help or could have helped IU are not even considered....until they do well elsewhere, and then all of a sudden they should be targets of the portal process.

I'm not sure what a fair timeline is, but in the last 25 years, here's who I remember pulling from Northern Indiana off the top of my head - Derek Elston, Damezi Anderson, James Blackmon Jr., James Hardy, Rob Phinisee, Trey Galloway, Austin Etherington, Hanner Perea. And there were quite a few players who we recruited that we simply didn't get. 

Given that, I do feel IU has given a look at the area and acted when appropriate. There will always be misses and head-scratching oversights. My original point was that a staff can't be everywhere at once, and given the concentration of talent in some of the bigger markets, it's a better use of resources to focus attention and energy there.

To be fair to both of our arguments, different staffs have different philosophies and connections, so it's not fair to condemn one over the sins of another. Also, me throwing out a collection of basketball hotbeds doesn't equate to what the current staff is keying on, as their parameters might be completely different.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I'm not sure what a fair timeline is, but in the last 25 years, here's who I remember pulling from Northern Indiana off the top of my head - Derek Elston, Damezi Anderson, James Blackmon Jr., James Hardy, Rob Phinisee, Trey Galloway, Austin Etherington, Hanner Perea. And there were quite a few players who we recruited that we simply didn't get. 

Given that, I do feel IU has given a look at the area and acted when appropriate. There will always be misses and head-scratching oversights. My original point was that a staff can't be everywhere at once, and given the concentration of talent in some of the bigger markets, it's a better use of resources to focus attention and energy there.

To be fair to both of our arguments, different staffs have different philosophies and connections, so it's not fair to condemn one over the sins of another. Also, me throwing out a collection of basketball hotbeds doesn't equate to what the current staff is keying on, as their parameters might be completely different.

Of the players you mentioned, only Hardy was from NE Indiana, which is the area I have focused my discussion on. Etherington was from Hamilton Heights, just north of Indy. Perea was a La Lumiere kid from Columbia. Similar to JHS who I wouldn't consider a Florida kid because he played at Montverde. Phinisee,  Blackmon and Elston are really from Central Indiana. Galloway and Anderson are more Northwest Indiana kids.

I understand that resources get spread thin, and staffs can't be everywhere. The whole point I am making is that they haven't given NE Indiana a look....the second largest metropolitan area in the state. 

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 1

I think my dream roster for next year would look like this

G: XJ, Cupps, Galloway

Wings: Galloway, Leal, Gunn, Timberlake, Newton, Transfer, Transfer

F/C: Reneau, Banks, Ike, Ledlum 

I'll probably change my mind on this 20 more times between now and when things actually start happening lol 

Edited by DC2345

28 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I'll probably change my mind on this 20 more times between now and when things actually start happening lol 

Hoping the staff expects Cupps to be a 10-15mpg guy from.the get go? I don't see a need for another PG. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Borderline top 25 team without the 2 other transfers. 

25 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I'm not going to get excited about transfers at this point in the game, but man did I like the clips of Timberlake. Quick release. Can catch and shoot off screens (and off-balance). Has the ability to drive. Can create his own shot. Can get to the line and shoots it at 85% from the stripe. 

From Draft Room.com concerning Jalen

• Jalen Hood Schifino – PG – Indiana – One of the breakout stars of the season, JHS is a first round lock who could slide into the late lottery.

Not sure he should leave if he is late lottery.  Just my opinion.  I think with NIL he should shoot for to 10 if possible by playing next year.  And i am not at all being selfish and wanting him back 😉😉

19 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

From Draft Room.com concerning Jalen

• Jalen Hood Schifino – PG – Indiana – One of the breakout stars of the season, JHS is a first round lock who could slide into the late lottery.

Not sure he should leave if he is late lottery.  Just my opinion.  I think with NIL he should shoot for to 10 if possible by playing next year.  And i am not at all being selfish and wanting him back 😉😉

JHS won't be back. Falling into the forgotten Hoosier category for me.

• Sad 1