Indiana Roster 2023-2024

37 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I agree with the sentiment here and wholeheartedly understand the need to get better and more athletic players. I do think the entire dynamics of this year’s team changed when X went down. We did have the penetrating guard who could set up others. We would have had JHS playing to his strengths as a shooter instead of having to also take on the role of distributor. We would have had another 3 point shooter who could have gotten his own shot and opened the floor. We would not have had to put as much pressure on Bates, Kopp and Galloway to take/make shots beyond their skill set. We would have had a defender who could control the quick guards who gave us so many problems and who caused a myriad of problems for us including rebounding issues, foul problems and giving up easy points.

My point is that although it is a completely legitimate concern for CMW to improve and change how we play going forward, we were on our way this year had X not gotten injured and a lot of the concerns/complaints about this year would’ve gone away 

There’s no question that this team would have been better with XJ. However his legend has grown the longer he was out. He had very good games against Xavier and UNC, but overall he was very inconsistent this season and seemed to be struggling playing alongside JHS. 
In his last three games before the injury (Rutgers, NEB & AZ), he was 7-32 and scored 8,4 and 11.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

There’s no question that this team would have been better with XJ. However his legend has grown the longer he was out. He had very good games against Xavier and UNC, but overall he was very inconsistent this season and seemed to be struggling playing alongside JHS. 
In his last three games before the injury (Rutgers, NEB & AZ), he was 7-32 and scored 8,4 and 11.

Maybe so, but based on how he finished the previous season, I am betting he would have figured it out 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I agree with you here. I'm sure there were games that were lost which would have been wins with Johnson playing. But given his inconsistency and tendency to make totally boneheaded and even dirty plays that some wins would have become losses as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Well.. Jalen didn't play in all three correct? 

Offensive numbers, yes. Could have been better. 

I wonder if we would have defended better had XJ played. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Basketball Junkie said:

I agree with you here. I'm sure there were games that were lost which would have been wins with Johnson playing. But given his inconsistency and tendency to make totally boneheaded and even dirty plays that some wins would have become losses as well.

Now he's dirty? 😬😬😬

2 hours ago, Basketball Junkie said:

wzqwgubcqaj81.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what this is telling me? 

The mental gymnastics needed to think XJ would have essentially made our team worse is impressive. Furthermore using this picture, and categorizing him as dirty are laughable. Carry on. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The mental gymnastics needed to think XJ would have essentially made our team worse is impressive. Furthermore using this picture, and categorizing him as dirty are laughable. Carry on. 

.....unfortunately for X, his forearm and hand WILL smell dirty!😝

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Probably... 28-7 with him, at worst, I'd say. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Basketball Junkie said:

wzqwgubcqaj81.jpg

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

TJD does look like he's at least thinking, "Dude?!?!" 

😁

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Probably... 28-7 with him, at worst, I'd say. 

We definitely were exposed against teams with fast guards, Northwestern, Penn St. and Miami. Looking ahead, we definitely need more speed up front, combined with more skilled shooters. If X gets another year, that will definitely be an advantage for us. Now,... if/when that happens, we need guards that can keep up with X. I often thought he played in another gear, obviously, but had to "throttle down" at times to allow the other guards to catch up with him. JMO.

• Like 1

This coming season will be CMW and his staff's biggest challenge.  We are losing 4 experienced starters including a consensus A-A/all-time IU great and an NBA level guard.  The incoming class is small and hardly overwhelming.  CMW will have to find some good fits in the portal, coach them up, and develop the existing talent. 

Our offense improved greatly this season going from #95 to #28 in Kenpom OE, but the defense taking a nose dive from #24 to #45 in Kenpom DE.

He'll have to do all of this and have a great 24 recruiting season and space on the roster for them.

Should be interesting!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Basketball Junkie said:

Okay I'll bite.... what are the dirty plays X makes?

I understsand he plays the role of irritant very well, but that's a lot different from being a dirty player. 

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Okay I'll bite.... what are the dirty plays X makes?

I understsand he plays the role of irritant very well, but that's a lot different from being a dirty player. 

Yeah I definitely wouldn't call him dirty.  I hope he has matured beyond the baiting crap.  I don't really want to see stuff like that on my team.   He is a competitive son of a gun and that we need but use that energy towards leading your own team.  I can't wait to see what a year on the bench next to the coaches has done to his maturity and leadership.  Not to mention he'll be like 29 and we can call him professor X.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yeah I definitely wouldn't call him dirty.  I hope he has matured beyond the baiting crap.  I don't really want to see stuff like that on my team.   He is a competitive son of a gun and that we need but use that energy towards leading your own team.  I can't wait to see what a year on the bench next to the coaches has done to his maturity and leadership.  Not to mention he'll be like 29 and we can call him professor X.  

If we can land Timberlake, we could be looking at a 6th year PG, 6th year 2G, 4th year wing (Galloway)... All of them with the ability to handle the ball, create for others, and make shots at a high level.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If we can land Timberlake, we could be looking at a 6th year PG, 6th year 2G, 4th year wing (Galloway)... All of them with the ability to handle the ball, create for others, and make shots at a high level.

Whats the old saying about college BB, "Get old, Stay old". Old teams win.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Love it.  Timberlake has to be looking at all the space available next to a guy that blows by his defender at the point and Galloway, who as a true 3 guy can also take advantage of 95% of matchups.  And both create space because they are more than capable shooters.  Stick a dude in there like Timberlake that can hit at 45% with volume and a super quick release.  Come on.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

This coming season will be CMW and his staff's biggest challenge.  We are losing 4 experienced starters including a consensus A-A/all-time IU great and an NBA level guard.  The incoming class is small and hardly overwhelming.  CMW will have to find some good fits in the portal, coach them up, and develop the existing talent. 

Our offense improved greatly this season going from #95 to #28 in Kenpom OE, but the defense taking a nose dive from #24 to #45 in Kenpom DE.

He'll have to do all of this and have a great 24 recruiting season and space on the roster for them.

Should be interesting!

I agree but I think the defense took a dive without having XJ for most of the season. Also, we had him and Rob last year, which are two top level defenders. 

This year will definitely be interesting!

5 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I agree but I think the defense took a dive without having XJ for most of the season. Also, we had him and Rob last year, which are two top level defenders. 

This year will definitely be interesting!

I think it was a tick bloated the year prior, as well. 

The defense was fine and basically as good as the year prior... there were times the offense REALLY hurt the defense. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Love it.  Timberlake has to be looking at all the space available next to a guy that blows by his defender at the point and Galloway, who as a true 3 guy can also take advantage of 95% of matchups.  And both create space because they are more than capable shooters.  Stick a dude in there like Timberlake that can hit at 45% with volume and a super quick release.  Come on.  

Could cause a lot of problems for opposing teams, then you'd have guys like Cupps, Gunn, Newton, and hopefully Bates behind them?

Hoping for Ledlum and Banks getting most of the run at the 4 next season, that should also create space. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, slojoe said:

Should be interesting!

Agree next year will be a challenge for the coaches, but I also think these first two years were maybe more of a challenge. Coach has stated he never ran an offense through the post before. Definitely will be interesting all the changes that are coming. I just hope waiting until November to get a glimpse of next year, we don’t all go a little nutty! Oh wait!!