IUBB Off-season 2023

Starting the off-season thread with a few thoughts from ol’Fisch. Don is one of my favorites around IU sports. He is much older than myself and has seen more IUBB up close and personal so when he shares his thoughts I listen.

Let’s start off with sharing our position going into the offseason knowing Trace and likey Jalen are gone. Although I had a buddy show up yesterday that claims he was told Jalen is returning, I just don’t see it happening. 

Duncomb is in the portal and likely to lose a couple to a few more. Probably Geronimo and maybe even Bates transferring. I actually thought we might hear something about Banks looking elsewhere as well. Maybe not.

What are your expectations for the next season?

How do we stack up in the B1G next season without our all American big TJD and NBA lottery pick guard JHS?

With kind of an unassembled  puzzle of a remaining roster, what pieces should we be looking for.

Some of your answers to these questions are floating about in various threads. It would be nice to have one thread as the hang out and chat all things related to IUBB off season as we move into and through the summer and fall seasons.

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

More context? Is he connected or has he been right in the past?

About Jalen? Nah. He’s just wishful thinking I’m sure. Don’t believe that until it happens. If I told you names of the group that hang out at the Tap & Upland pretty regular you would like to believe what they say but they cut up, prank and goof off so much you just honestly never know.

I think Jalen goes first round. I’ve seen him projected as high as 13th earlier around maybe February. Recently he has fallen a bit to around 17th. It sure would mean a whole lot to us fans and the program if he were to return. I could only imagine. But, as a kid, going pro and collecting 9 million by your 21st birthday sounds like a great plan. I don’t blame him one bit.

Him returning though, man that could be a season trajectory changer. Trace has one more year of eligibility as well. They could come together like Miami players did and set the goal to go deeper into March next season but thats also a IU fan pipe dream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Inequality said:

About Jalen? Nah. He’s just wishful thinking I’m sure. Don’t believe that until it happens. If I told you names of the group that hang out at the Tap & Upland pretty regular you would like to believe what they say but they cut up, prank and goof off so much you just honestly never know.

I think Jalen goes first round. I’ve seen him projected as high as 13th earlier around maybe February. Recently he has fallen a bit to around 17th. It sure would mean a whole lot to us fans and the program if he were to return. I could only imagine. But, as a kid, going pro and collecting 9 million by your 21st birthday sounds like a great plan. I don’t blame him one bit.

Him returning though, man that could be a season trajectory changer. Trace has one more year of eligibility as well. They could come together like Miami players did and set the goal to go deeper into March next season but thats also a IU fan pipe dream.

Oh yeah, if I were him, if he were my kid, if I was advising him... I'd say go pro as fast as you can young man.

But.... I'd love him (and TJD) back. I think both should go though. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah, if I were him, if he were my kid, if I was advising him... I'd say go pro as fast as you can young man.

But.... I'd love him (and TJD) back. I think both should go though. 

Up until the last couple years I'd be right there with you, but nil changes the calculus of the decision some. If you have the chance to hold on to your college years for one more year while also putting 1 million in the bank, it allows you to make that decision if you want without the specter of injury being completely devastating to your future.

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Up until the last couple years I'd be right there with you, but nil changes the calculus of the decision some. If you have the chance to hold on to your college years for one more year while also putting 1 million in the bank, it allows you to make that decision if you want without the specter of injury being completely devastating to your future.

I hear you, but $1M doesn't really set you up for life anymore and we are talking about tens of millions of dollars.

I am sure there will be some that make the calculation you just laid out, but if it were me or someone I love I'd still be saying go pro in Jalen's situation. 

26 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hear you, but $1M doesn't really set you up for life anymore and we are talking about tens of millions of dollars.

I am sure there will be some that make the calculation you just laid out, but if it were me or someone I love I'd still be saying go pro in Jalen's situation. 

But that million could help you afford to get insurance in case of injury 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

No disagreement here, it's just not as cut and dry as it used to be.

Pre NIL, it's a no brainier. Now, there's at least a little bit of nuance to the decision.

I also think being 18 and thrust into the adult life of the NBA is not exactly healthy either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I would assume that a VERY healthy insurance plan, would be part of a paid NIL deal. To me that would be a game changer. I thought I wanted to be in the adult world when I was 18-19-20, but I had no business doing so. At lest not in one in the bright ligths with 10 mil paychecks.

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I would assume that a VERY healthy insurance plan, would be part of a paid NIL deal. To me that would be a game changer. I thought I wanted to be in the adult world when I was 18-19-20, but I had no business doing so. At lest not in one in the bright ligths with 10 mil paychecks.

Hmmm… aren’t there a few ex-Hoosier players in the insurance business?😗

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Give me a $1M and I am more than set up for life! Why is a $1M at 19- 20 yrs not enough? I know the talent and money is there. But dang enjoy being young and what college  is about!!! Sorry money is not all it is some think!

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Inequality said:

AFBBCF05-3CAB-474E-A339-F60800628193.thumb.jpeg.3dc87f7b2d8689fe476c645adc1e6d8d.jpeg

What a strange list.

Some guys got major bumps, presumably because of the tournament, which is fair enough. But then Painter is sitting at 8…

So are we giving the tournament a ton of weight or no? I think you can make a case either way, but it should be a consistent factor.