Transfers with IU Interest

59 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

If we get ware, ledlum and knecht, then would the upcoming team be expected to be better or worse than this past team?  

Guessing no one will be as good as tjd but depth should be a lot better.

I think we're kidding ourselves if we don't think that next year's team is going to take a step back from this year's team - no matter who we get. Sure the ceiling will be higher, but the floor is a lot lower. We are plugging too many holes in too short of a time. Trying to predict how everybody will play together is just a wild guess. We could end up like Illinois or we could end up like Kansas St. 

I think the over-under is a 20 win team. 

Now, if everything works out well, the following year's team can be set-up to be really good. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

The problem is the remaining spots need to be grad transfers…. Sparks, Knecht, Ware all have eligibility left correct? With that being said I would assume that Ware intends to be a one and done here?

edit: I just looked it up. Knecht has 1 year left and Ledlum actually has 2 years because Harvard didn’t play during 2020 Covid season. 

No, Ledlum has one. He doesn't get a bonus year for sitting out. If he had played, it wouldn't have counted against his 4 years of eligibility, but he doesn't get 5 anyway.

• Like 1

• bluegrassIU changed the title to Transfers with IU Interest
Just now, Artesian_86 said:

Awwww, young fella! That’s so cute!

Jack Tripper was his name on that show, “Three’s Company”. Lol

Artie, I know.. I'm sorry, sarcasm doesn't go through text well. Haha 

Threes company was one of my favorites... re-runs on TV LAND and Nick at Nite! 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No, that's why I said no on had officially announced. 

Didn't mean you specifically... but the overall tone of this thread surely feels like that.  I understand there's excitement, but...well these things can change on a dime, so to speak.

Just now, jv1972iu said:

Didn't mean you specifically... but the overall tone of this thread surely feels like that.  I understand there's excitement, but...well these things can change on a dime, so to speak.

Right. But that doesn't change what could have already transpired, and by all accounts, and seemingly multiple sources.... things look good with Ware. 

Yes, these things seem ultra-fluid. 

1 hour ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

If we can get all three, what’s the likely starting 5?

X/Knecht/Ledlum/Reneau/Ware would be my guess? Galloway, Sparks, Gunn, Banks, Cupps off the bench.

Have a lot of similar concerns as this past year team. Outside of Knecht not a lot of bonafide shooters, and it’s not a sure thing we even get Knecht. But definitely would get a lot more balanced scoring from this team I would think. 

Knecht is a high volume 3 point shooter and everyone in that starting lineup with the exception of Reneau would be honored offensively out to the 3 point line. Much better spacing than last years team. Xavier Johnson is explosive and Knecht is an underrated athlete, but my biggest fear would be overall lack of quickness. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I thought Knecht was grad transfer? 

If you add Knecht... he and XJs scholly you can use. 

The odds are someones transferring/not coming back to school... thats 3. I'm not sure I want to add more than 3 TR FR to any roster moving forward. 🤷‍♂️

There are three ‘24 recruits would like to add though. McNeeley, Bidunga, Newell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I think we're kidding ourselves if we don't think that next year's team is going to take a step back from this year's team - no matter who we get. Sure the ceiling will be higher, but the floor is a lot lower. We are plugging too many holes in too short of a time. Trying to predict how everybody will play together is just a wild guess. We could end up like Illinois or we could end up like Kansas St. 

I think the over-under is a 20 win team. 

Now, if everything works out well, the following year's team can be set-up to be really good. 

The key for next year is to get considerably better at the 2,3,4 spots from last year's starting lineup. Not one person will be able to contribute what TJD did but if Reneau and if we get Ware can combine for TJD stats. Also, hopefully XJ can can come close to JHS numbers from last year.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The key for next year is to get considerably better at the 2,3,4 spots from last year's starting lineup. Not one person will be able to contribute what TJD did but if Reneau and if we get Ware can combine for TJD stats. Also, hopefully XJ can can come close to JHS numbers from last year.

Don't think X's individual numbers are the most important thing.

He's the "straw that stirs the drink".  Whatever team we put together it will be his job to make sure they perform to their maximum offensively and defensively by controlling the game, maximizing his teammates' skills, and using his own considerable skills to fill in where the team is lacking.

• Like 2