Transfers with IU Interest

5 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Personally I’d want another 3 guard. I assume Knecht plays the 3 but I’m not convinced Banks can play the 3 well enough and is more of a JG type 4. Knecht isn’t playing 40 minutes and I don’t see Newton playing the 3 either 

Banks is taller and way more skilled than JG. Banks will probably play the 3 at some point. Agree IU does need wing help. 

15 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Banks is taller and way more skilled than JG. Banks will probably play the 3 at some point. Agree IU does need wing help. 

So what I mean is JG and him both really good rebounders but don’t shoot the 3 well. In order to be successful I think Woody probably wants his 3 to shoot the ball at a high rate 

4 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

So what I mean is JG and him both really good rebounders but don’t shoot the 3 well. In order to be successful I think Woody probably wants his 3 to shoot the ball at a high rate 

I don't think the sample size on Banks (2/5 from 3 last year) is big enough to detertmine if he does or doesn't shoot the 3 well quite yet...

Defense and rebounding got him in the rotation at the end of the year...But if he wants solid minutes this year, he'll have to shoot at or near that 40% rate with more volume...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

There is a lot more to it than that, though. I don't think Banks and JG are very similar. I have no issue with adding another wing, necessarily... I highly doubt you're bringing in a ringer in that spot though. No one close to the caliber of Knecht, imo. We don't have that much to "sell" at that point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Actually Banks was pretty good at shooting in high school. He doesn’t need to be a volume guy necessarily just be able to catch and shoot when open. It’s defending the 3/4 that will determine when and how much he plays. Woody likes to be able to switch on D. Banks to me is better already than JG. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Actually Banks was pretty good at shooting in high school. He doesn’t need to be a volume guy necessarily just be able to catch and shoot when open. It’s defending the 3/4 that will determine when and how much he plays. Woody likes to be able to switch on D. Banks to me is better already than JG. 

Need him to be what OG is for the raptors.  Three and D. Rebound, hustle, jam on some people. I think he could be huge for us as an upperclassmen.  He has a lot of ability. I like his demeanor as well. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Not overly sure. But this guy "account" is every where on twitter. 51K followers and seems to legit know what he's talking about. 

this guy replied to the tweet... 42K and a UCONN guy. 

Dauster and Goodman are the one that started Field of 68 so he is well connected in college basketball 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Yes, he isn't the same type player as Sparks and Malik, I don't think. I still don't think he's an option once Ware commits. 

Will be interesting to see how they fill the roster. I think there's much bigger needs, but Deloach could allow some interesting lineups. Deloach at the 4 and Ware at the 5 would allow this team to get out and fly in transition.

Edited by ephul

3 minutes ago, ephul said:

Will be interesting to see how they fill the roster. I think there's much bigger needs, but Deloach could allow some interesting lineups. Deloach at the 4 and Ware at the 5 would allow this team to get out and fly in transition.

Oh 100% 

Which is why I don't think Sparks/Malik are similar.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh 100% 

Which is why I don't think Sparks/Malik are similar.

Maybe more time for Malik and Ware at the “4” and Deloach and Sparks at 5.  I think their perimeter shooting would work with pick and pops at that spot. Both can rim protect at other end on D. I think d they are interchangeable. Malik and ware still time at the 5 too, but I think the size and shooting of those lineups could be a big mismatch. 

Also maybe the staff sees something in Gunn and/or Newton for next year. 

All question marks. Regardless we need a 4 that can stretch they D and shoot. Whoever is in that spot on offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victobmyboy said:

Banks has the potential to be a really good 4, and has good hands and a nose for the ball when rebounding. Geronimo had neither, but was a great athlete. I wouldn’t surprised to see some NFL teams approach him as a project at tight end. 

10 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am gonna leave this up because it is valuable information and I can not edit a tweet without removing the entire thing.

However, let's be careful re-posting things that are this crude. I 100% understand why. But we wanna keep the board clean.  👍

My apologies, did not see that part of his tweet when I read it. I fixed that part 

Edited by Hoosierfan1901
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1