Transfers with IU Interest

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

Ledlum was a good option but I don’t think he was going to be some kind of star or anything. I think IU could be fine but they’ve got to get busy turning their attention to other options. 

What current options? Besides Cleveland I don’t see another option worth exploring. I think we wait until more players come out of the portal.

I have increasingly found that following the tea leaves on any of this recruiting type of junk is mostly fruitless.  People get hyped up over a name and some rumors and then get overly upset about everything when that doesn't pan out.

Eff Ledlum.  He wants to go play for that Nickelodeon wannabe program with a bunch of hilljacks singing about rocky top every 30 seconds, let him.  Call me when the team is set and we can spend our time talking about guys who actually want to be here.

• Like 2

Just off the top of my head, players still available who could help IU next year:

Max Abmas- small but can fill it up and really played the pick and roll game well a couple of years ago when ORU made their run

Girard from Syracuse - what Funk was for Penn State this year 

Jaylon Tyson- former top40 recruit from Texas Tech. 6’7” wing who is a two way player.

Cleveland from FSU- already been documented here what he brings 

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Why would someone give you tickets to a team you’re not a fan of? Fans find positives and negatives about a team and then root for them. I’ve literally never seen you post one positive thing since I’ve joined this board. I’m not sure what you have going on in your life but why do you even like sports or supposedly like IU because the way you act towards the players and coaches isn’t a fan? I’ve seriously questioned if you’re Dan Dakich because of how insanely negative you are ALL the time. I just don’t get you.

Sorry you are obsessed with a poster.Never take anyone's post that seriously.Just a board on basketball it is a game nothing more.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds like a great source, you know everything on the internet is accurate 

Look I understand things happen. If people aren’t correct from what they hear then it happens. Getting mad over getting misinformation on these boards are just ludacris. If someone is lying and just wants to become popular so they give false things then that’s on them. The people I talk to don’t just blow smoke. If they don’t know anything they will say that or if they can’t share something they won’t. Those reasons make me trust them.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mike said:

Sorry you are obsessed with a poster.Never take anyone's post that seriously.Just a board on basketball it is a game nothing more.

I’m not obsessed with anything just an observation. The way you act makes it seem like it’s way more than a game. If it was just a game to you then you wouldn’t be so negative and have such a bad rep on here. 🤷🏻‍♂️hope one day you just trust the process and figure out a way to not be so negative man.

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just off the top of my head, players still available who could help IU next year:

Max Abmas- small but can fill it up and really played the pick and roll game well a couple of years ago when ORU made their run

Jaylon Tyson- former top40 recruit from Texas Tech. 6’7” wing who is a two way player.

• Like 4

Just now, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’m not obsessed with anything just an observation. The way you act makes it seem like it’s way more than a game. If it was just a game to you then you wouldn’t be so negative and have such a bad rep on here. 🤷🏻‍♂️hope one day you just trust the process and figure out a way to not be so negative man.

Good advice.I guess I just remember the days of winning in the 70's and 80's.Just a few years left on this good old earth would like to see a winner just one more time!!

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

He was the first kid IU offered out of the portal and the first kid the entire staff went to visit out of the portal. You tell me chief.

Well, at this point I don’t remember where I read this and never heard this until today but apparently Tenn. flew to visit him directly from the sweet 16 loss. So…. Maybe we were not in first like we believed 

but.. I do think this recruiting process had way, way too many thinking it was IU for it not to have been up until recently. Even if you don’t believe much in those Twitter accounts, ON3 etc. every single one said IU was the lead by far. 

also, the entire Tenn. board and their “Rabby”and their “insiders” all were saying as of last night and this morning that he was gone to IU. No chance for Tenn. 

they somehow got him late in the process by all accounts. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Gotcha and thanks for the reply. I don't mean this disrespectfully at all, but I don't think people on the internet know anything. 

That's been my point all along. I love what the "insiders" bring to these message boards and the Twitter people that claim to know things, etc.  I like following them and love what they bring. 

I believe the majority have contacts and are passing along what they hear. Absolutely. But, having been on the inside I truly believe those contacts don't really know anything. The people that really know things aren't running to tell random people that have somewhat of a connection. 

Again, saying this as having been on the inside of these things. 

I didn’t take it as disrespectful I took it as a genuine question. I think we’ve talked enough to understand each other and I completely agree with everything you’ve said.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

I’m right here. Not going to shy away from the board or you. I was given what was believed to be solid intel this morning, and it probably was solid when I was told but that’s how it works.  He was all but locked up. Surprise 4 deep visit from Tennessee threw everyone a curveball and he picked them. I was wrong and I’ll take it and eat it. Don’t get cocky. Woody and staff are working and will continue to work hard in the portal and on the road this weekend with the first live evaluation period to build this program. I’ll be back with my next round of intel, whenever that may be, and I’ll continue to share it regardless what some may think of what I have to say. Your choice to believe it or not. 

Most of the forum members here will appreciate hearing how folks close to the program view things.  Rational members understand that what is correct today may be 100% wrong tomorrow.  I'm glad you are choosing to stay rather than pack up your ball and leave when a little adversity shows up.  I've been disappointed in the past when a member with good intel gets thin-skinned and leaves when someone calls them out on a miss.  

Now get back to work rebuilding that street cred. :coffee:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

I’m right here. Not going to shy away from the board or you. I was given what was believed to be solid intel this morning, and it probably was solid when I was told but that’s how it works.  He was all but locked up. Surprise 4 deep visit from Tennessee threw everyone a curveball and he picked them. I was wrong and I’ll take it and eat it. Don’t get cocky. Woody and staff are working and will continue to work hard in the portal and on the road this weekend with the first live evaluation period to build this program. I’ll be back with my next round of intel, whenever that may be, and I’ll continue to share it regardless what some may think of what I have to say. Your choice to believe it or not. 

Thanks Beamer, I have to admit, my response to you was rushed and I was obviously frustrated. Ledlum picking Tennessee was not your fault… Like you said “bad intel” or maybe, not completely updated in real time. Keep bringing your intel, knowing that it can it can always change at a moment’s notice. That’s what makes this stuff so hard on coaches and us fans. 
Go IU!

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Never said it wasn't a miss but I am not going to lose sleep over one player not choosing IU

Another thing is this player would have only been here 1 year so it is a significant loss.

Because of the ‘24 and ‘25 classes I actually think him having one year left was one of the most important things about him.

9 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I didn’t take it as disrespectful I took it as a genuine question. I think we’ve talked enough to understand each other and I completely agree with everything you’ve said.

The thing is if the info your source gets isn't from the coaching staff or the basketball office then it probably isn't real accurate

I don't think anyone working in the basketball office will just go around and tell everybody on the street what is going on with recruiting. If they do then they shouldn't keep that job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, IU Scott said:

The thing is if the info your source gets isn't from the coaching staff or the basketball office then it probably isn't real accurate

I don't think anyone working in the basketball office will just go around and tell everybody on the street what is going on with recruiting. If they do then they shouldn't keep that job.

I think that’s fair. 

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. There are two ends to the floor. I was not impressed with his ability to move his feet and defend…especially against higher level competition. A nice piece but not the main piece to our team.

He couldn’t guard a wing. We’d be just as unathletic as we were last year and we saw how Miami exposed that. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Cormac Ryan for ND is another. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

Good advice.I guess I just remember the days of winning in the 70's and 80's.Just a few years left on this good old earth would like to see a winner just one more time!!

I understand. It’s just completely different now than then. If you change your mindset to lower the expectations and they end up winning it will be much more enjoyable. If you think they should dominate like in the 70s and 80s well that’s almost impossible because of how spread out the talent is. 

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He couldn’t guard a wing. We’d be just as unathletic as we were last year and we saw how Miami exposed that. 

I know a lot of people disagree with me but I saw a lot of Miller Kopp in him. Miller was a fine player but more suited for a different role and not nearly the minutes he was forced to play with us. I felt a lot of our troubles against much of the teams we lost to this year resulted because not solely but a part being Miller would get exploited at the defensive end. Teams like Northwrstern and Penn St and others would run the weave until they get Kopp switched off on them and then attack us. Of course we had Trayce to clean a lot of that up but man once he was switched onto a quicker guard…it hurt to watch. I’d much rather sacrifice some 3pt shooting to sure up our defense especially since we won’t have the most prolific shot blocker in IU history backing out guards up next year. We are going to have to be a lot better at that end. Don’t get me wrong I want scorers and shooters…but I saw Ledlum as a piece of the puzzle…but certainly not “THE” piece. 

• Like 1

Look, I know that everyone is chomping at the bits to land the next commitment, but early in the portal… Ledlum was considered to be the 7th or 8th best transfer available. Just a few days ago, I believe someone here posted that he was 53rd best available. My point is that he’s a decent fish in an increasingly large lake. There’s going to be others from major programs moving into the portal and we’ll be claiming them to be the next must have.

That being said, I do believe that the B1G has a major perception problem in hoops. They have to make changes that are more appealing to young men looking to showcase their abilities on the basketball court. I think Woodson has and will continue to make IU a destination, but the majority of the league lacks flash and/or any relative success aside from the Michigan teams, Purdue in the regular season, and an occasional run by Ohio State and Maryland team. IU sells prestige and tradition, but even we haven’t been consistent in the postseason in quite some time… although Woody and company are trending in the right direction.

• Like 6