Transfers with IU Interest

10 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Yea, I thought for sure David had entered the draft and the portal, but I cannot find anything about him and the portal. And I thought Trilly had said something about Rayj not looking at IU? 

Perhaps I am getting people crossed up. Sometimes this stuff makes my head spin. 😵💫

Devo is in draft but didn’t get combine invite. Wouldn’t be shocked if he entered portal last day and not public yet.

Rayj - yes, Trilly did but also didn’t seem like he was fully dialed on that one. Said it was possible it was setup and he didn’t know. He just went from ILL visit to Michigan visit. Michigan people said IU and Baylor were in it.

Still plenty good options with more names that have not came out. Got to think a solid 2 would look at this lineup now and get excited. 

• Thanks 1

Andrew Taylor from Marshall does seem interesting.  I can’t find any good highlights on him but his numbers suggest he could be solid, and it was reported that we reached out to him.  

It feels like we can be fairly selective on that last spot.  Good outside shooter with some combo guard skills and defense.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Andrew Taylor from Marshall does seem interesting.  I can’t find any good highlights on him but his numbers suggest he could be solid, and it was reported that we reached out to him.  

It feels like we can be fairly selective on that last spot.  Good outside shooter with some combo guard skills and defense.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Nice.  I think that came out after I looked.  

According to this, a slew of teams have reached out including his home state schools UK and Louisville, along with IU and Michigan among many others.  He looks like a good fit, at least on offense.  

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/article/andrew-taylor-kentucky-wildcats-transfer-portal-210089379/

Edited by BobSaccamanno

I’m probably in the minority but I don’t think the focus should be on finding a better option than Trey. I look and I still see X as the only blow by player. We need someone else that can not only blow by people but more importantly stop people like him. Look what happened last year when X got injured!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I’m probably in the minority but I don’t think the focus should be on finding a better option than Trey. I look and I still see X as the only blow by player. We need someone else that can not only blow by people but more importantly stop people like him. Look what happened last year when X got injured!

Better or not better... idc. 

I care about a complimentary player here.. someone that can shoot and handle it a little. 

Ware, MM, Sparks, XJ, Walker, Trey, Banks are all good defenders... I think the guy we add can regularly be our 5th best defender and we will be fine. 

• Like 3

Watching CMW shrink the bench in each of his first two seasons makes me wonder if it's smart to add anyone else. As it is, I'm wondering if someone like Gunn, Newton, or Cupps may redshirt this season. 

Adding someone now has to bring a missing element but it has to be at a high level. Physical point guard with a great handle and D, ok. Scorer/shooter who can defend also  works. A great shot blocker who can rebound maybe. Adding a 32% three point shooter with limited skills for everything else, no thanks. 

Frankky, adding another player that is just adequate means they don't have much faith in some of the guys currently on the team. I'd hate for them to push Banks and/or Gunn out for one season of a limited rental player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I would have thought a pg equivalent of Walker would have been a top priority, but, as far as I can tell, we have reached out to no pgs. I have to assume that means coach trusts Cupps to be able to contribute from day one.

4 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Watching CMW shrink the bench in each of his first two seasons makes me wonder if it's smart to add anyone else. As it is, I'm wondering if someone like Gunn, Newton, or Cupps may redshirt this season. 

Adding someone now has to bring a missing element but it has to be at a high level. Physical point guard with a great handle and D, ok. Scorer/shooter who can defend also  works. A great shot blocker who can rebound maybe. Adding a 32% three point shooter with limited skills for everything else, no thanks. 

Frankky, adding another player that is just adequate means they don't have much faith in some of the guys currently on the team. I'd hate for them to push Banks and/or Gunn out for one season of a limited rental player.

If Gunn wants to get butthurt, he can hit the road.. (I'm not implying that he is)... but he isn't good enough for us to worry about that. Banks almost fits that category, as well. 

Cupps is going to play, imo, pretty clearly. 

We'll see in the next week, pretty clearly what/who else the staff values in the portal (and what position). 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I would have thought a pg equivalent of Walker would have been a top priority, but, as far as I can tell, we have reached out to no pgs. I have to assume that means coach trusts Cupps to be able to contribute from day one.

Rayj Dennis says Hello

6 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I really think you’re underestimating Cupps ability. To me he reminds me ALOT of JHS. Only difference is height. If Cupps had height of JHS he would absolutely be a 5 star player too. You don’t have bronny James ask you to come be his PG for a special tournament if you aren’t the real deal. He’s played with 4-5 stars his whole life and most of time was best player on the court. When’s the last time a high school basketball player played a whole weekend Select basketball tournament and didn’t have a turnover AS A PG that blows my mind. Unless Gunn has progressed Galloway needs help at the 2 especially when he gets in foul trouble. If X gets in group trouble I completely trust Cupps to run the offense. His dad has such of an unbelievable basketball mind that helps Cupps fully grasp things easy and work non stop if he doesn’t understand it right away. I guarantee Cupps teammates will end up saying he’s harder worker on team and always in the gym. I bet coaches will make him leave the gym once he has full access to IU’s amazing facilities within walking distance.

Edited by IUfaninIllinois
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I really think you’re underestimating Cupps ability. To me he reminds me ALOT of JHS. Only difference is height. If Cupps had height of JHS he would absolutely be a 5 star player too. You don’t have bring James ask you to come be his PG for a special tournament if you aren’t the real deal. He’s played with 4-5 stars his whole life and most of time was best player on the court. When’s the last time a high school basketball player played a whole weekend Select basketball tournament and didn’t have a turnover AS A PG that blows my mind. Unless Gunn has progressed Galloway needs help at the 2 especially when he gets in foul trouble. If X gets in group trouble I completely trust Cupps to run the offense. His dad has such of an unbelievable basketball mind that helps Cupps fully grasp things easy and work non stop if he doesn’t understand it right away. I guarantee Cupps teammates will end up saying he’s harder worker on team and always in the gym. I bet coaches will make him leave the gym once he has full access to IU’s amazing facilities within walking distance.

Fair enough! But can he stay in front of Boo Buie? JHS couldn’t. That’s what I’m talking about. X goes down and it’s the same as last year.

I do think the roster would benefit from adding a true CG, someone capable of running the point 5-10 minutes per game if necessary, just as a backstop should XJ or Cupps get hurt. Galloway can fill in in a pinch, but I think it hurt us last year to not have a more capable backup option for JHS once Xavier went down.

That having been said, that addition would ideally be a one-year guy, to keep space open for 2024.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Competition...Guys don't get better without being pushed. Some like Leal will never get better. They reached their peak in high school. Loyalty is gone in CBB with the portal. Improve and get better or move along. Don't have to like it but thats where we are now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

If Gunn wants to get butthurt, he can hit the road.. (I'm not implying that he is)... but he isn't good enough for us to worry about that. Banks almost fits that category, as well. 

Cupps is going to play, imo, pretty clearly. 

We'll see in the next week, pretty clearly what/who else the staff values in the portal (and what position). 

Yup. The time to win is NOW. I believe we have the talent to do so...can't worry about hurt feelings. I suspect our last addition could end up being a starter. If anything, I hope this gives motivation to Gunn and Banks to improve their game and hit the gym. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Nice.  I think that came out after I looked.  

According to this, a slew of teams have reached out including his home state schools UK and Louisville, along with IU and Michigan among many others.  He looks like a good fit, at least on offense.  

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/article/andrew-taylor-kentucky-wildcats-transfer-portal-210089379/

Andrew Taylor is legit. He would be good get for us.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Initial79 said:

Devo is in draft but didn’t get combine invite. Wouldn’t be shocked if he entered portal last day and not public yet.

Rayj - yes, Trilly did but also didn’t seem like he was fully dialed on that one. Said it was possible it was setup and he didn’t know. He just went from ILL visit to Michigan visit. Michigan people said IU and Baylor were in it.

Still plenty good options with more names that have not came out. Got to think a solid 2 would look at this lineup now and get excited. 

I think we potentially have some guys already on the team who can view for that 2 spot too.  Newton was injured his senior year and could be one of those guys that surprises.  Gunn may adjust and be ready to go.  I think you look to add another good guy but I think worst comes to worst we will still be ok.

Newton for instance is a 6'4" guy but he has a 6'10" wingspan.  That length out on the perimeter is tough.  He can shoot and he can get to the rim.  He isn't getting brought up much at all but we may be sleeping on him.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think we potentially have some guys already on the team who can view for that 2 spot too.  Newton was injured his senior year and could be one of those guys that surprises.  Gunn may adjust and be ready to go.  I think you look to add another good guy but I think worst comes to worst we will still be ok.

Newton for instance is a 6'4" guy but he has a 6'10" wingspan.  That length out on the perimeter is tough.  He can shoot and he can get to the rim.  He isn't getting brought up much at all but we may be sleeping on him.

To me, guys like Newton and Gunn are more in the mold of a 2/3. We need a guy who's more of a 1/2. I wouldn't want to rely on either to run the point for any length of time. But I agree that a CG isn't a dire need, but would be nice to have at this point. But it's certainly not something I'd be desperate to add unless the fit, talent, etc., checked all the boxes.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

To me, guys like Newton and Gunn are more in the mold of a 2/3. We need a guy who's more of a 1/2. I wouldn't want to rely on either to run the point for any length of time. But I agree that a CG isn't a dire need, but would be nice to have at this point. But it's certainly not something I'd be desperate to add unless the fit, talent, etc., checked all the boxes.

Cupps is the backup PG in my mind and even Galloway can run it a bit in a pinch.  Hopefully the necessity for that would be rare but it is kind of there if we need it.

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I like how he drives with his head up…nice floater and passing.

Remains to be seen but I don’t think this is what the staff ideally wants. They will reach out lots of guys but I can’t see them being excited for him.

TG would be the same or better with that competition level. They want elite athletes and ideally a 1 year guy to kneel scholarships free for next class. 

• Like 1