Transfers with IU Interest

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

100%.  I'm confused with the strong desire to make Battle something he is not.  

He's a below average defender.  I can support that position through stats, through the eye test, through what professional scouts say, etc.

Who cares what method is used to support the point.  He's not a good defender.  If someone still wants him, i encourage them to focus on what he does well instead of trying to explain away what he doesnt.

Who is making Battle anything that he isn't? I was told he was a bad defender because he had a DRTG of 111, and that most 4s we play he can't guard... then it was listed that three AAs were the ones he can't guard, but.. no one guards those guys... so that didn't make any sense. 

I mean, we are having an in-home with him. There really isn't anything more to debate, we want him. 

If we had Battle this year... I think we win the B1G outright, even with XJs injury. 

In the last three games Battle has played against Indiana-- 17p 6r avg... 10-29 from 3-- 34%

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

100%.  I'm confused with the strong desire to make Battle something he is not.  

He's a below average defender.  I can support that position through stats, through the eye test, through what professional scouts say, etc.

Who cares what method is used to support the point.  He's not a good defender.  If someone still wants him, i encourage them to focus on what he does well instead of trying to explain away what he doesnt.

Why are we interested in a guy whose team was 9-22 last year???

29 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

If you watched Jamison Battle play at all the last two years you would never confuse him for being a good defender. That I'll promise you, numbers or statistics be damned. 

Right, but that isn't the point. No one is going to look like a good defender on a TERRIBLE basketball team. Miller Kopp was a pretty good defender and fit well into our scheme, he'd be absolutely atrocious on a team like Minnesota.

I don't think it's a stretch to think a guy that has played that much college basketball could fit well into a team defensive concept and I don't take any bit of evidence one way or another from his time at Minnesota, because they weren't a good team defensive concept. The coaches need to have conversations and get a feel for his understandings of different schemes, different coverages, rotations, etc. but if has all that understanding between the ears I don't see why he wouldn't be able to put it into practice on the court.

Tons of guys play differently on a good team than they do on a bad team, and play differently depending on the role they are asked to play. That's actually an incredibly normal thing. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I called Battle a great defender? Again, Drtg is bad data if it tells us Kopp was one of our three worst defenders. 

Battle > Race Thompson by a lot. 

Race and Battle are two different players. Race is a legit PF who pre-injury was a very reliable defender and rebounder. 

Battle plays much more like Miller Kopp than he does Race Thompson and at IU would be used as a more wing-oriented player. Battle coming to IU would signal that Woodson wants to play a more traditional lineup vs moving to a 4 out 1 in. Malik and Battle being your two primary frontcourt players would be an awful defensive combination. 

• Like 2

MIkal Bridges got traded within the season from Phoenix to Brooklyn.

His offensive numbers have gotten more efficient across the board (in almost every single way) with a higher usage.

His DRtg and DBPM have taken a dip.

Did he magically become a less capable defender? Or did things shift as his role and environment changed? 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

MIkal Bridges got traded within the season from Phoenix to Brooklyn.

His offensive numbers have gotten more efficient across the board (in almost every single way) with a higher usage.

His DRtg and DBPM have taken a dip.

Did he magically become a less capable defender? Or did things shift as his role and environment changed? 

No one is saying that DRtg is the only or perfect way to measure an individuals defensive abilities. But when your Drtg has been as bad as Battle's has been throughout his collegiate career, it's telling.

Like I said, the next person who characterizes Battle as a good or an even average defender will also be the first. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Race and Battle are two different players. Race is a legit PF who pre-injury was a very reliable defender and rebounder. 

Battle plays much more like Miller Kopp than he does Race Thompson and at IU would be used as a more wing-oriented player. Battle coming to IU would signal that Woodson wants to play a more traditional lineup vs moving to a 4 out 1 in. Malik and Battle being your two primary frontcourt players would be an awful defensive combination. 

I consider Race a 5. He doesn't have near the skill for me to consider him a 4. I want much more of a Miller Kopp type player in that spot, than I do a Race. 

It doesn't signal that however, at all. It would signal that we want to go to 4 out 1 in, which we basically did that a good portion of the last two years anyways, but it was nearly as effective as it could have been because of Race's lack of skill. 

Why are Malik and Battle a bad defensive combo... but Miami can get by with Miller and Omier playing their 4+5 at 6'6 and 6'7? 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

No one is saying that DRtg is the only or perfect way to measure an individuals defensive abilities. But when your Drtg has been as bad as Battle's has been throughout his collegiate career, it's telling.

Like I said, the next person who characterizes Battle as a good or an even average defender will also be the first. 

Like I said earlier... Have you ever seen Battle play defense?

Neither have I 🙂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why are Malik and Battle a bad defensive combo... but Miami can get by with Miller and Omier playing their 4+5 at 6'6 and 6'7? 

It has nothing to do with height. Omier is vastly more athletic and stronger player than Malik and can play above the rim. And I'm not sure Miami is the example you want to use considering they are a sub-100 KenPom DEff team. Yes having a top 10 Offense helps offset bad defensive play, but adding Jamison Battle likely doesn't move the needle in offensive efficiency for Indiana as he is a very inefficient player.

Battle is a very poor defender and rebounder and Malik doesn't have elite rim protecting skills. That's why it is a bad combination.

5 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Woody wouldn't waste his time if he didnt think Battle would help our team.  He's much smarter than us about Hoops. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's really that simple. 

No one has said he couldn't help the team.  People have said he is a below average defender.  There is a difference.

Nick Zeisloft was a poor defender, but he helped IU when he transferred in.

Edited by 5fouls

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

No one has said he couldn't help the team.  People have said he is a below average defender.  There is a difference.

Nick Zeisloft was a poor defender, but he helped IU when he transferred in.

I never said he wasn't. I don't think he will be a below average defender here, though. We have very, very few of those. 

I think Zeisloft was an average at worst defender, but by the end, I thought he was above average.