Transfers with IU Interest

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think it is good to have the ability to do it though.  It doesn't have to be your bread and butter, but I think the best teams are generally going to have the ability to score in different ways.  Having TJD be a post player and getting him the ball didn't hurt us so much last year as the fact that we really lacked offensive punch from the 2 through 4 spots.  We did not have any dynamism to our offense.  It was pick and roll or dump down to Trayce.

If you took the 2, 3, and 4 from Miami or some of these other teams with the pressure they bring from hitting 3's (we hit them but did not take enough) and driving to the basket, that would have made us a really difficult team to deal with.  We were just too easy to guard because we didn't pressure teams with drives to the basket very often.  

I mean.. I agree. No argument from me. 

On 3/22/2023 at 7:38 AM, CoachSS said:

Ledlum and Timberlake. May hear some things over the next 36 hours on some movement and tracking of those two. 

Indiana is targeting a post player. One they like is in the portal. One has not yet entered. 

Other off-ball targets. Two haven't entered portal yet. I'm positive one will. Unsure on the other. 

PG- IU not looking at any in portal. 

Not sure Indiana will get serious about Battle. There's a number of people who think there are a host of concerns over him. Personally, I don't think he's good enough. A few others feel the same. Some like him a lot. 

Dual- Athletically he works. Defensively he works. But some other stuff to navigate in regards to personality, fit, etc. 

We must be serious because we are having an in home visit today with him in Minnesota. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Probably quicker, undoubtedly... I don't know that he's stronger. He's two years ahead of Malik in the weightroom, lets see what he looks like come August. 

If Omier can hold his position to out rebound TJD, then I'm figuring strength had at least something to do with that.  I know effort has a lot to do with rebounding, but Malik has a way to go to reach Omier or TJD.  JMHO.  We'll see what he's got next season.  😊

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

If Omier can hold his position to out rebound TJD, then I'm figuring strength had at least something to do with that.  I know effort has a lot to do with rebounding, but Malik has a way to go to reach Omier or TJD.  JMHO.  We'll see what he's got next season.  😊

I'm not really that worried about Malik, at all. Omier is a stud and again.. 2 years ahead of Malik in the weight room. 

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Is Malik not a bigger version of Omier? 

I think Omier is a little quicker and more athletic, Malik is more polished offensively. Malik will be a very good rebounder, and if he can continue developing his jumper can really cause problems for opposing teams.

Think about what our offense can be if we have 4 around 1, with say Malik and Ledlum as our starting forwards. How do you guard us in PnR and DHO situations, knowing either of those guys can hit jumpers? That's just so much pressure on the defense if we are putting multiple perimeter guys out there who can make plays, hit shots, etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not really that worried about Malik, at all. Omier is a stud and again.. 2 years ahead of Malik in the weight room. 

My error...I thought you were saying that there wasn't much difference between Malik and Omier right now both physically and as players.  Yes, give Malik two years, if he stays, and he probably will be improved.

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

My error...I thought you were saying that there wasn't much difference between Malik and Omier right now both physically and as players.  Yes, give Malik two years, if he stays, and he probably will be improved.

No no.. clearly a gap there now. That isn't really a knock on Malik though... there's a reason Omiers team is in the F4. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think Omier is a little quicker and more athletic, Malik is more polished offensively. Malik will be a very good rebounder, and if he can continue developing his jumper can really cause problems for opposing teams.

Think about what our offense can be if we have 4 around 1, with say Malik and Ledlum as our starting forwards. How do you guard us in PnR and DHO situations, knowing either of those guys can hit jumpers? That's just so much pressure on the defense if we are putting multiple perimeter guys out there who can make plays, hit shots, etc. 

Love it. Couldn't be more excited moving forward. 

29 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Almost every NBA team. The just don’t post them up and feed the post every possession. 

So they're not using them then? 

What we see from high level basketball teams is athletes playing the 5 (anywhere from like 6'8 to 7'0) that set screens, rebound, defend the rim, and can play in space. That is what you need, beyond that is gravy, and several good teams do just fine with a 5 that is only doing those things

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

We must be in a good spot with Battle too.. if we are getting an in home. Maybe forces Ledlum to decide quicker? 

IU is in a good spot with Sparks, Shedrick, and Ledlum like @RoadToZionsaid. There is interest in Battle as well from both sides. As far as how one guy effects I'm not sure on that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The reason I wouldn't mind Battle is that he can shoot from the outside and be a stretch 4.  I don't want us starting to bigs who are post players

I don't think Battle is a great fit for this team. He's a pretty inefficient scorer and doesn't play defense/rebound well. He'd probably be an upgrade from Kopp at the 3 in the scoring department but he's not as good of a set shooter. I think he would struggle guarding most 4's in a small ball lineup.

Ledlum would be my preferred choice. I think he's capable playing the other forward spot in a small ball lineup but also good enough to play out on the wing if Woodson decides to play a more traditional lineup like he has the last two years. If IU is somehow able to lock up Ledlum, Sparks, and Shedrick by the end of the week it settles the frontcourt issues and IU has a chance to really hone in on an athletic 2 guard. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I don't think Battle is a great fit for this team. He's a pretty inefficient scorer and doesn't play defense/rebound well. He'd probably be an upgrade from Kopp at the 3 in the scoring department but he's not as good of a set shooter. I think he would struggle guarding most 4's in a small ball lineup.

Ledlum would be my preferred choice. I think he's capable playing the other forward spot in a small ball lineup but also good enough to play out on the wing if Woodson decides to play a more traditional lineup like he has the last two years. If IU is somehow able to lock up Ledlum, Sparks, and Shedrick by the end of the week it settles the frontcourt issues and IU has a chance to really hone in on an athletic 2 guard. 

Defense can be taught 

• Like 3