Transfers with IU Interest

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm surprised Sparks is willing to come off the bench. 

I know, I think that, about a lot of players. When I hear them say, "All I want to do is help the team in anyway they I can and if that means coming off the bench, so be it". Some guys just want to have a chance to be a part of a historic program like IU, especially now with Coach Woodson. 

• Like 1

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

Then you still have Malik, Galloway, Gunn, Banks, and Leal with either two openings or Bates and Geronimo.  I am not expecting a title contender next year but that doesn't sound like a bad bridge team.

And you'd have... Cupps, Malik, Sparks, Galloway all ready to roll the next season, etc. 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

And you'd have... Cupps, Malik, Sparks, Galloway all ready to roll the next season, etc. 

Right, with hopefully us in position to take advantage of the '24 and '25 classes.  To me we are building towards 25 and 26 as the Championship type of years (fingers crossed).  Next year we want to make sure we still make the tournament and in '24 maybe a Sweet 16 type of team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Right, with hopefully us in position to take advantage of the '24 and '25 classes.  To me we are building towards 25 and 26 as the Championship type of years (fingers crossed).  Next year we want to make sure we still make the tournament and in '24 maybe a Sweet 16 type of team.

Quite a bit better spot we are in then 2 year ago. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

This is a very serviceable player.  Plays through contact, good on the boards, had a nice interior game.  We definitely want to get athletes and shooters on our team but I like having some guys like this that can get in there and mix it up too.

Thanks for posting this.Kid is big. A summer in IU's weight room will make this guy scary.

• Like 3

watching a couple of those highlights.. I do remember watching some of him last season too... he's noticeably quicker. The other thing I noticed very quick off the bat.... in the MAC games he was doubled, I don't see him getting doubled nearly as often in the B1G. 

And while he did avg 2.5 TOs a game this year, he did avg 2.0 assts, so he does have somewhat of an ability to pass. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The other thing is, Malik can play the 4.  So both these guys can still get 22-25 mins.  Even call it 50 minutes combined there is still 30 mins at the 4.  We need some big capable bodies no matter how you cut it.  

I see what you're saying,  but I hope we don't see Malik at the 4 with another post that can't shoot. Much rather have Malik in the post with a player like Banks at the 4. Completely understand the circumstances with TJD and who CW could pair with him, but I hope we open the post up for drivers in the future.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm surprised Sparks is willing to come off the bench. 

Not being combative, but aren’t you assuming (?) that he is/was be told he would be a bench player . I would think Woodson would tell him he can compete to start but also tell him what he is or what he could be competing against. 

1 minute ago, WRSMick55 said:

Not being combative, but aren’t you assuming (?) that he is/was be told he would be a bench player . I would think Woodson would tell him he can compete to start but also tell him what he is or what he could be competing against. 

Probably. But, realistically... I don't think he'd start over Malik.. and he and Malik starting alongside each other or playing heavy mins together would be a stark contrast to what CMW said in his press conference post Miami. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Probably. But, realistically... I don't think he'd start over Malik.. and he and Malik starting alongside each other or playing heavy mins together would be a stark contrast to what CMW said in his press conference post Miami. 

Agree, Don’t think he would either but could be dependent on if Woodson able to get his type of players from the portal or if current players evolve into. My thought is Sparks likely to be a bench player but might be thinking he has an opportunity to start and Woodson would not dissuade that thought.

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....just thinking out loud here. Could we possibly have our pick of top players linked to IU in the portal? IU has been trending up over the past two years. I just get that vibe, totally my opinion.

Not so sure we’re quite in that position YET.but like the thought.

21 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I see what you're saying,  but I hope we don't see Malik at the 4 with another post that can't shoot. Much rather have Malik in the post with a player like Banks at the 4. Completely understand the circumstances with TJD and who CW could pair with him, but I hope we open the post up for drivers in the future.

Oh I don't want to see that but in the B1G, if, IF it became necessary for like 6 minutes a game, it can be done because of Malik's ability.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....just thinking out loud here. Could we possibly have our pick of top players linked to IU in the portal? IU has been trending up over the past two years. I just get that vibe, totally my opinion.

We definitely have the most playing time to offer. 4 starters leaving, I agree with your opinion. While we may not have our pick, we're more attractive to more players potentially, no doubt

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Given the minutes and opportunity to play right away, our staff and everything else IU can offer I don't see many other options far better. Equal sure but not better.

57 minutes ago, btownqb said:

watching a couple of those highlights.. I do remember watching some of him last season too... he's noticeably quicker. The other thing I noticed very quick off the bat.... in the MAC games he was doubled, I don't see him getting doubled nearly as often in the B1G. 

And while he did avg 2.5 TOs a game this year, he did avg 2.0 assts, so he does have somewhat of an ability to pass. 

And how many of those TO's were a result of the double teams?  If he is guarded straight up, that may reduce that number as well.