Transfers with IU Interest

2 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Maybe just me but I when I see Arkansas and Auburn involved with a kid....I like it. Now excuse my while I show myself the door. Say what you want but EM and BP see some stuff in kids. I'd rather be up against them vs any of our B10 brethren.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe just me but I when I see Arkansas and Auburn involved with a kid....I like it. Now excuse my while I show myself the door. Say what you want but EM and BP see some stuff in kids. I'd rather be up against them vs any of our B10 brethren.

Agree. Would be great if we could get in on this one. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Really like this. He’s a small guard but he can rebound at a high level - this dude just goes and gets the ball when it is free. Would love to land him. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Would be great if we could get in on this one. 

Advanced defensive metrics are really bad.  Now, I know nothing about Rice's style of play, so maybe his defense is a team influenced thing.  But, something the IU coaches will have to factor in when assessing him.  I do love his rebounding stats though.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Advanced defensive metrics are really bad.  Now, I know nothing about Rice's style of play, so maybe his defense is a team influenced thing.  But, something the IU coaches will have to factor in when assessing him.  I do love his rebounding stats though.  

Thanks for sharing that. Definitely didn't look into his defensive metrics. Loved what you shared on the UVA kid in that regard. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They were 281 on defense on KenPom, so seems like a team thing. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I know the previous staff liked him...which explains being 6'11 and averaging 6 points a game. Joking aside...is there anything here? What's all the initial excitement for. Much prefer a guy like Sparks over someone like this all day long.

Can he rebound? My God I want scoring too…but at this point give me bigs that can rebound and defend the paint and set screens. I’ll worry about shooting and scoring from the guards. I don’t need a lot of sets from my bigs…especially with Reneau already…please find some rebounding and just be able to score on our backs and finish dishes from drivers. 6’11 is helpful too. 6’9 as our biggest guy imo just isn’t enough when all these teams run out 7 footers.

• Like 6

Just now, dgambill said:

Can he rebound? My God I want scoring too…but at this point give me bigs that can rebound and defend the paint and set screens. I’ll worry about shooting and scoring from the guards. I don’t need a lot of sets from my bigs…especially with Reneau already…please find some rebounding and just be able to score on our backs and finish dishes from drivers. 6’11 is helpful too. 6’9 as our biggest guy imo just isn’t enough when all these teams run out 7 footers.

Besides Edy, we don't really face a lot of 7 footer post presence guys. Most teams having success this season are typically 6'8"/ 6'9" type front lines.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Besides Edy, we don't really face a lot of 7 footer post presence guys. Most teams having success this season are typically 6'8"/ 6'9" type front lines.

I imagine Dickenson will be back…Purdue always has one on deck. That said I don’t mind longer bigs..they alter shots and it’s always harder finishing over them. Trayce as an Uber athletic 6’9 center is one thing but we don’t have a traditional 5 on this roster. While Reneau has nice touch in and around the basket he isn’t that traditional 5.

Edited by dgambill

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

I imagine Dickenson will be back…Purdue always has one on deck. That said I don’t mind longer bigs..they alter shots and it’s always harder finishing over them. Trayce as an Uber athletic 6’9 center is one thing but we don’t have a traditional 5 on this roster. While Reneau has nice touch in and around the basket he isn’t that traditional 5.

Malik is a 5. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Can you show which team at the highest level of NCAA or NBA basketball is using this traditional 5?

Seems like if you don’t have an elite player at whatever level, you’re better off going a different route. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Can you show which team at the highest level of NCAA or NBA basketball is using this traditional 5?

Seems like if you don’t have an elite player at whatever level, you’re better off going a different route. 

Is Malik not a bigger version of Omier? 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Almost every NBA team. The just don’t post them up and feed the post every possession. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Is Malik not a bigger version of Omier? 

Sparks as well if he have landed him.  They can both play back to the basket but they don't need the ball to flow through them.  You still need size on the team and you can still run the modern offenses with a traditional center.  You just don't have your offense initiated through that player.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Sparks as well if he have landed him.  They can both play back to the basket but they don't need the ball to flow through them.  You still need size on the team and you can still run the modern offenses with a traditional center.  You just don't have your offense initiated through that player.  

I never want offense initiated through the post, unless we have the roster we had last season and XJ out haha.. never was a fine of that, but fully understood why we went that route. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I never want offense initiated through the post, unless we have the roster we had last season and XJ out haha.. never was a fine of that, but fully understood why we went that route. 

I think it is good to have the ability to do it though.  It doesn't have to be your bread and butter, but I think the best teams are generally going to have the ability to score in different ways.  Having TJD be a post player and getting him the ball didn't hurt us so much last year as the fact that we really lacked offensive punch from the 2 through 4 spots.  We did not have any dynamism to our offense.  It was pick and roll or dump down to Trayce.

If you took the 2, 3, and 4 from Miami or some of these other teams with the pressure they bring from hitting 3's (we hit them but did not take enough) and driving to the basket, that would have made us a really difficult team to deal with.  We were just too easy to guard because we didn't pressure teams with drives to the basket very often.  

• Like 4