Transfers with IU Interest

Stolen from another site----

"All that talk about playing different and not build around a post player and go out and get involved with a post player that can’t shoot. Ike isn’t coming to play behind anyone and Malik isn’t going to back up anyone so you going to play 2 bigs again. Going to be stiff competition for him so I personally don’t see him making it to IU"

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

"All that talk about playing different and not build around a post player and go out and get involved with a post player that can’t shoot. Ike isn’t coming to play behind anyone and Malik isn’t going to back up anyone so you going to play 2 bigs again. Going to be stiff competition for him so I personally don’t see him making it to IU"

Good points.  I’d rather get a mobile big man who can step out and pop, board and defend.    That complements Reneau more, who gives you very impressive post scoring.   (I want Logan back as a big man off the bench who can come in and mix it up and pop from 10-15).

I think we need scoring without TJD and presumably JHS.   XJ will score some.  Reneau can score inside.  Bates can tick up.  But IMO we need a go to scoring element.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good points.  I’d rather get a mobile big man who can step out and pop, board and defend.    That complements Reneau more, who gives you very impressive post scoring.   (I want Logan back as a big man off the bench who can come in and mix it up and pop from 10-15).

I think we need scoring without TJD and presumably JHS.   XJ will score some.  Reneau can score inside.  Bates can tick up.  But IMO we need a go to scoring element.  

yes, I do want bigs though. Just not these two. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

yes, I do want bigs though. Just not these two. 

Yes.  If we got Timberlake at shooting guard and Ledlum as a combo forward, it would be perfect.  I realize that’s not a slam dunk but we are going for it.  Timberlake brings that tough as nails shooter and Ledlum is productive and can score.  And they bring experience and class balance.  

Maybe add a guy with length to protect the rim and let’s go.  I also like the wing from Florida who can’t shoot but who is athletic (name escapes me).  Plus others will come into the portal.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yes.  If we got Timberlake at shooting guard and Ledlum as a combo forward, it would be perfect.  I realize that’s not a slam dunk but we are going for it.  Timberlake brings that tough as nails shooter and Ledlum is productive and can score.  And they bring experience and class balance.  

Maybe add a guy with length to protect the rim and let’s go.  I also like the wing from Florida who can’t shoot but who is athletic (name escapes me).  Plus others will come into the portal.  

I think thats a massive slam dunk, adding those two..  or two players very similar. 

We can get by with our backup 5 being a rim protector/non offensive threat. 

I'm also not convinced TG starts next year, but that would be determined by roster make up going into next year. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I finally watched some video of both Timberlake and Ledlum. In my untrained coaching casual observer opinion eye.....Timberlake seems far more athletic and honestly has that bit of moxy that I like to see on the court. 

Far more confident stroke. If it comes down to either or....I'll take Timberlake all day long. 

Sheehey vibes for me.  And that is a good thing.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

@ me if there is actual news. otherwise ill assume this is just conversation much like the other transfer thread we have. 

I had no idea we werent suppose to discuss the players linked to IU in the "portal players linked to IU" thread. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Well, we reached out to Ike, so the coaches have something in mind.

And, let me point out a misconception in the post you quoted.  There is a way Malik and Ike can both can play alone in the post and neither be a backup.

Neither would play 40 minutes, not even 30.  25 minutes for each totals 50 minutes.  That requires them to be on the floor at the same time for only 10 minutes a game, which could be the first 5 of each half.

That provides the opportunity to have strong offense at the post for the ENTIRE game.  And, that, in turn, creates scoring opportunities on the perimeter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, let me point out a misconception in the post you quoted.  There is a way Malik and Ike can both can play alone in the post and neither be a backup.

Neither would play 40 minutes, not even 30.  25 minutes for each totals 50 minutes.  That requires them to be on the floor at the same time for only 10 minutes a game, which could be the first 5 of each half.

That provides the opportunity to have strong offense at the post for the ENTIRE game.  And, that, in turn, creates scoring opportunities on the perimeter.

25 mins for MR??? How does he score with his hands tied behind his back? :coffee:

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

25 mins for MR??? How does he score with his hands tied behind his back? :coffee:

25 is reasonable, especially considering his foul tendencies.

Having one of the transfers mentioned also adds a layer of protection should there be an injury.  

You are asking for trouble to enter the season with only one legit scoring option from the post.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

25 is reasonable, especially considering his foul tendencies.

Having one of the transfers mentioned also adds a layer of protection should there be an injury.  

You are asking for trouble to enter the season with only one legit scoring option from the post.

I was joking.... but I totally agree and hope we sign 2 more bigs.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I doubt Ike is going anywhere for 25mpg. 

58 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I doubt Ike is going anywhere for 25mpg. 

We'll see.  Could be the IU staff is just kicking the tires. Could be that there is real interest.  And, with Ike losing this entire season to injury, he may be more agreeable to fewer minutes  And, it's not like he played TJD level minutes at Wyoming his only healthy year.  He averaged 31 MPG that season.   

• Like 1