Transfers with IU Interest

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Hoe many scholarships do we have available?  One thing I would want to make sure of the portal is that we have room to land 24 and 25 kids.  That being said, if you land Ledlum and Ware to add to Sparks, I think you have a pretty attractive roster to land a good shooting guard like Knecht (your roster starts looking pretty good).  Even without a great 2G we have some new talent coming in and some guys on the bench who hopefully make a jump next year.  Cupps and Newton maybe fill that role or Gunn.  You also have a bunch of guys that could play different positions on the floor.  Ware is close to respectable from behind the arc.  Get him into the 30%s this summer and he is a really big potential stretch 4 on offense and could play just fine with Reneau.  Ledlum looks like he could maybe be a 3/4.  Galloway is a 2/3 who has even played the 1.  Gunn and Newton are 2/3's.  Cupps could be a 1/2.  Sparks is a nice back up 4/5.  

You have some roster options that we didn't really have this year IMO.

I think the bold is an emphasis. We had a lot of guys the past two years that fit one role offensively, or one role defensively... no way as an NBA guy does CMW want to continue that. 

XJ+Cupps would be very attractive to me if I wanted to score the ball. 

Cupps, Newton, Gunn, Malik, Banks, Sparks, Leal, TG---I think we have 5 more? 

We will have no less than 3 schollies in 25--TG, Leal, and Sparks. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, KDB said:

If you land Ledlum and Ware, that is two of the best players in the entire portal. It skyrockets our chances of being competitive at the top of the conference again next season with how our roster currently sits. I would say that would erase any concern over our recruiting efforts. Then if you get Knecht on campus? I start getting real excited about what our team could look like next year. Get it done!

Honest question because i've been really busy and have had a hard time keeping up.

Is it expected that Ledlum, Ware and Malik would play at the same time? I know Ledlum is more versatile than Kopp, but I thought Woody was going to try and move away from these line ups. If this were to come to fruition are we going to be able to get that spacing we've desperately been wanting? 

I guess I was imagining something like: Malik, Ledlum, a quick and lengthy guard who can rebound, a guy like Timberlake and XJ. 

Edited by tdhoosier

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Good article on Kel'el and what went wrong in Oregon...

This kid would be a huge get for us... 

Nice article. I think he will have a big jump this year with a fresh start, some experience and a second chance. Hope it is with IU. Only concern is the spotlight at IU being too bright for his quiet personality. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Honest question because i've been really busy and have had a hard time keeping up.

Is it expected that Ledlum, Ware and Malik would play at the same time? I know Ledlum is more versatile than Kopp, but I thought Woody was going to try and move away from these line ups. If this were to come to fruition are we going to be able to get that spacing we've desperately been wanting? 

I guess I was imagining something like: Malik, Ledlum, a quick and lengthy guard who can rebound, a guy like Timberlake and XJ. 

Ware can play on the perimeter, some. Develop Malik more. Malik+Ware< TJD+Race down low, but perimeter skills wise it would be quite the reverse. IMO.. there is more to Maliks game than we saw, and Ware can absolutely match up on the perimeter with guys, contest shots, shoot the 3 ball. 

Not 100% convinced Ware would start. 

Now... looking at this, projecting, thinking about it in my head.... it's not perfect going into next year, but what if we get 5th SR TG, JR Malik, JR Ware, SR Sparks, SO Cupps, JR Banks, JR Gunn, 5th year SR Ledlum, etc etc ... the following year? That could be a big time roster, right? 

Ware is NOT Race or TJD in terms of spacing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

Good deal. I know trusted/sourced info is something we all wait for and after the whole Nick situation with his tweet I figured some intel from a well-known and reliable insider would be appreciated. 

Sounds like Rabby is doubling down on this stuff with Ware. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Beamerball said:

His comment about putting our hopes at a 7 out of 10 for Ware really got my eyebrows up this morning when I read that. He isn't usually overhyping things just to generate a buzz...

Yeah, agree... like that's A LOT to say that. Maybe more like an 8.5/9 but Rabby wants to stay guarded. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

This is where I'm at as well. One possibility, though, is that the staff just views Ware as too talented to turn down, even if it's not a perfect fit roster wise.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 1

I think Ware is an ideal complement to Reneau.  He’s got length and mobility plus ability to stretch the court.  They can play off each other ideally IMO.  

Ware sounds like he may need to improve his maturity but he may realize a coach like Woodson can help him mature and maximize his potential.   If he has that self-awareness, he could be on his way.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Yeah, agree... like that's A LOT to say that. Maybe more like an 8.5/9 but Rabby wants to stay guarded. 

double edged sword... fans want the latest and greatest news and updates as soon as they come in, but if one of these guys gets something wrong, good lord the world is ending. The real ones stay guarded. the click baiters dont care.

• Like 1