Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

Curious to hear what you all think of Shannon getting a standing ovation today. I thought it was pretty cringeworthy tbh. Something just doesn’t feel right about a standing ovation for a guy who hasn’t been cleared of anything but maybe that’s just me. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Curious to hear what you all think of Shannon getting a standing ovation today. I thought it was pretty cringeworthy tbh. Something just doesn’t feel right about a standing ovation for a guy who hasn’t been cleared of anything but maybe that’s just me. 

I’m with you.

Really glad he won’t play at Purdue 

I trust Whitman to do the right thing I guess 

9 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yeah, cringeworthy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Felt like they were cheering someone coming back from an injury. 

Yeah, and the way the PA announcer said he was checking in… it wasn’t just the fans.

I can certainly see the facts of the entire situation are murky at best, but he hasn’t even been found not guilty let alone having enough to proclaim him innocent. I can’t imagine being comfortable giving him a standing ovation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, and the way the PA announcer said he was checking in… it wasn’t just the fans.

I can certainly see the facts of the entire situation are murky at best, but he hasn’t even been found not guilty let alone having enough to proclaim him innocent. I can’t imagine being comfortable giving him a standing ovation. 

Yet, Indiana fans (and probably administration) say that Chris Beard shouldn't ever be at Indiana. As you say, regarding Shannon, charges are still pending. Charges against Beard were dropped and his ex-fiance issued the following statement saying he was defending himself.  Only the two of them know what really happened. Maybe he's a domestic abuser, maybe he isn't, but as far as the law and public record, he's not been accused or convicted of a crime. I will add, I've known guys who had wives or girlfriends who were physically violent and they had to defend themselves on multiple occasions. One guy was seen more than once with deep fingernail marks on his neck and face. Another came to work with a big knot on his forehead where his wife had hit him with something (and he was a big guy, but his now ex-wife was batcrap crazy). You just don't know. 

“Chris and I are deeply saddened that we have brought negative attention upon our family, friends, and the University of Texas, among others. As Chris’ fiancée and biggest supporter, I apologize for the role I played in this unfortunate event. I realize that my frustration, when breaking his glasses, initiated a physical struggle between Chris and myself,” Trew said in the statement.

“Chris did not strangle me, and I told that to law enforcement that evening. Chris has stated that he was acting in self-defense, and I do not refute that. I do not believe Chris was trying to intentionally harm me in any way. It was never my intent to have him arrested or prosecuted. We appreciate everyone’s support and prayers during this difficult time,” she said.

18 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yet, Indiana fans (and probably administration) say that Chris Beard shouldn't ever be at Indiana. As you say, regarding Shannon, charges are still pending. Charges against Beard were dropped and his ex-fiance issued the following statement saying he was defending himself.  Only the two of them know what really happened. Maybe he's a domestic abuser, maybe he isn't, but as far as the law and public record, he's not been accused or convicted of a crime. I will add, I've known guys who had wives or girlfriends who were physically violent and they had to defend themselves on multiple occasions. One guy was seen more than once with deep fingernail marks on his neck and face. Another came to work with a big knot on his forehead where his wife had hit him with something (and he was a big guy, but his now ex-wife was batcrap crazy). You just don't know. 

“Chris and I are deeply saddened that we have brought negative attention upon our family, friends, and the University of Texas, among others. As Chris’ fiancée and biggest supporter, I apologize for the role I played in this unfortunate event. I realize that my frustration, when breaking his glasses, initiated a physical struggle between Chris and myself,” Trew said in the statement.

“Chris did not strangle me, and I told that to law enforcement that evening. Chris has stated that he was acting in self-defense, and I do not refute that. I do not believe Chris was trying to intentionally harm me in any way. It was never my intent to have him arrested or prosecuted. We appreciate everyone’s support and prayers during this difficult time,” she said.

With Beard I would expect him to be thoroughly vetted, but assuming he passed all the conversations that I’ll never know the details of I would be excited to have him.

I get that she very well could have dropped the charges and issued that statement because of reason$ beyond it being the truth. None of us will ever really know, but if my position on CB was that Indiana shouldn’t employ him then I’d need to have that same position for other schools, especially given his “sin” has nothing to do with the job at hand. I just can’t say someone who had charges dropped shouldn’t be able to ever coach again. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

There's mixed feelings on this for sure, but not really sure what you expected, some kind of mass shunning?

Whether it proves wrong or not, there's definitely a feeling within the program and DIA that the charges are not valid but until there's resolution the questions will remain. And the truth is we may never find out what actually happened.

I've also noticed the team social media accounts have been avoiding any mention of him. If he has a big game at some point, it'll be even more obvious.

I will say this, if he's guilty then Shannon is some kind of true sociopath by the way he's acted throughout this ordeal. Playing at an All-America level, then suing the school to get back on the court? Undoubtedly there are probably many cases where people have done stuff like this but it would be way out of character.

Edited by BruceDouglas

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

There's mixed feelings on this for sure, but not really sure what you expected, some kind of mass shunning?

Whether it proves wrong or not, there's definitely a feeling within the program and DIA that the charges are not valid but until there's resolution the questions will remain. And the truth is we may never find out what actually happened.

I've also noticed the team social media accounts have been avoiding any mention of him. If he has a big game at some point, it'll be even more obvious.

I will say this, if he's guilty then Shannon is some kind of true sociopath by the way he's acted throughout this ordeal. Playing at an All-America level, then suing the school to get back on the court? Undoubtedly there are probably many cases where people have done stuff like this but it would be way out of character.

No but there’s a pretty big difference between a mass shunning and a standing ovation IMO. It felt like folks were just glad he’s back playing basketball and just kind of forgot about the fact that he’s still pending a trial. Even if it’s true that he’s innocent, I think it’s a bad look and if he played for Purdue and we gave him a standing ovation, I wouldn’t be happy. 

It came off very Michigan State-esque to me tbh. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No but there’s a pretty big difference between a mass shunning and a standing ovation IMO. It felt like folks were just glad he’s back playing basketball and just kind of forgot about the fact that he’s still pending a trial. Even if it’s true that he’s innocent, I think it’s a bad look and if he played for Purdue and we gave him a standing ovation, I wouldn’t be happy. 

It came off very Michigan State-esque to me tbh. 

Yeah I'm sure the reaction was more about having him back vs some kind of show of "support". On TV (and from what people who were there told me) it didn't sound like some huge reaction. And people who were not cheering or even booing wouldn't be heard obviously.

I'm not going to judge people how they want to react to the situation. And I'm not one to judge people off which school team they cheer for, my take is that people are people and most react the same give the same circumstances. YMMV.