Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

18 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

High level game, credit Purdue for hitting the big shots. Couple of 50/50 balls late that ended up with Purdue 3s that really hurt. 8 3s in the 2nd half for Purdue, 0 for Illinois, amazing it was close.

Domask is a mother 

Zach was splitting FT.  I might have fouled….muck it up 

3 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

High level game, credit Purdue for hitting the big shots. Couple of 50/50 balls late that ended up with Purdue 3s that really hurt. 8 3s in the 2nd half for Purdue, 0 for Illinois, amazing it was close.

Felt like a S16 game. 

13 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Domask is a mother 

Zach was splitting FT.  I might have fouled….muck it up 

My one question is that Illini were letting Edey get his in the first half and keeping the supporting cast under control. Then to start the 2nd, we start doubling the post? Even though that strategy was abandoned fairly quick, it seemed to allow Purdue to get comfortable making some 3s and that was the killer.

Also at the end I think Hawkins tried to foul Edey when he got the ball in the back court and of course that's the one time the refs don't call anything. Ended up with the strange forced shot from Jones that we couldn't rebound and then  a Smith dagger.

Edited by BruceDouglas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Purdue is the best team with the best coach in the conference by a wide margin.

They have everything they need to win it all this year.

💯.  Crazy to think #276 3 point shooting team is #1or2 a year later adding a 29% shooter from the valley 

Luck, hard work…shot selection?

It only takes another 5-26 with 16 turnovers to get bounced 

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Purdue has surrounded Edey with guys that shoot over 35% from the 3pt line. Their system and IU's are different. 

Its glaringly obvious that the systems are different. they win, we lose.

just because they shoot better from 3 with higher volume, does not negate the fact that we praise Purdue, while hating on inside out offense..... they have the best coach and best team with an ..... inside out offense

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Its glaringly obvious that the systems are different. they win, we lose.

just because they shoot better from 3 with higher volume, does not negate the fact that we praise Purdue, while hating on inside out offense..... they have the best coach and best team with an ..... inside out offense

The vast majority hate on the 2 bigs in the lane, run everything through the post offense. There's a difference. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Purdue has surrounded Edey with guys that shoot over 35% from the 3pt line. Their system and IU's are different. 

Except you rarely see their second big, Kaufman-Renn, shoot them...20 on the year at 40%... Conversely, Kel'el has shot 32 at 43%, and Reneau 42 at 33%...

TKR is a post up guy for the most part...

Purdue simply has better shooters at other positions

Edited by IUFLA

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Except you rarely see their second big, Kaufman-Renn, shoot them...20 on the year at 40%... Conversely, Kel'el has shot 32 at 43%, and Reneau 42 at 33%...

TKR is a post up guy for the most part...

Purdue simply has better shooters at other positions

Yes and no. I'd imagine given how good Edey is that they actually rarely post-up TKR. He's mainly setting screens on and off the ball. 

Also, TKR starts but plays less minutes than Mason Gillis who is shooting nearly 50% from 3 at just over 3 attempts per game. 

But back to the real point, nobody hate an inside-out offense. Paint touches are critical in any basketball system. 

We hate two bigs clogging the lane offense with almost everything going through the post. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yes and no. I'd imagine given how good Edey is that they actually rarely post-up TKR.

They do it all the time, especially when they think the matchup is favorable...

I've watched them a lot...