Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

Just now, IUFLA said:

Not as much as Edey for sure, but that's where most of his points come from... 

I dont know, man. I don't watch them as much as you, but he's averaging 6ppg and I'd image some of those are from offensive rebounds, being scrappy, etc., so then were talking a basket or two tops from the post. Maybe?

I dont know, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many people that would describe Purdue's offense as a two-post offense. 

As @5 championships said, Gillis plays more than TKR and its a 4-out / 1-in offense. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The vast majority hate on the 2 bigs in the lane, run everything through the post offense. There's a difference. 

Argument of semantics. 

Purdue runs inside out with inverted action. 

We make fun of... and well crucify Woodson for his remarks about inside out.

As we glorify Purdue running inside out.

We say you cant win with inside out, but Purdue has a legit shot this year. This being my main point.

Just now, ledies22 said:

Argument of semantics. 

Purdue runs inside out with inverted action. 

We make fun of... and well crucify Woodson for his remarks about inside out.

As we glorify Purdue running inside out.

We say you cant win with inside out, but Purdue has a legit shot this year. This being my main point.

You're literally removing any/all context or nuance from the convo. 

People crucify Woodson for the two-post/big offense that for much of the season was almost exclusively run through the post. Surrounding that with almost no shooters and discouraging 3pt shots while long 2's get hoisted. 

I'm not sure anyone has said you can't win with inside-out. Everyone knows getting the ball in the paint is a good thing. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I dont know, man. I don't watch them as much as you, but he's averaging 6ppg and I'd image some of those are from offensive rebounds, being scrappy, etc., so then were talking a basket or two tops from the post. Maybe?

I dont know, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many people that would describe Purdue's offense as a two-post offense. 

As @5 championships said, Gillis plays more than TKR and its a 4-out / 1-in offense. 

Just telling you what I see... Of course he's not the focal point of the offense, but they do indeed post him up, as I said, especially if there's a favorable matchup... 

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just telling you what I see... Of course he's not the focal point of the offense, but they do indeed post him up, as I said, especially if there's a favorable matchup... 

Regardless, that doesn't make Purdue a 2-post offense, and like I said I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that would categorize them as such. 

A guy that plays 16mpg getting 1-2 post touches a game doesn't make them something they're not.

The vast majority of their offense is Edey inside surrounded by 4 shooters. 

43 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yes and no. I'd imagine given how good Edey is that they actually rarely post-up TKR. He's mainly setting screens on and off the ball. 

Also, TKR starts but plays less minutes than Mason Gillis who is shooting nearly 50% from 3 at just over 3 attempts per game. 

But back to the real point, nobody hate an inside-out offense. Paint touches are critical in any basketball system. 

We hate two bigs clogging the lane offense with almost everything going through the post. 

TKR actually posts up a decent amount. Depends on match-ups of course and whether Edey is in too. He’ll be a focal point on offense next year. He also is a great offensive rebounder too. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

TKR has less than one two point attempt per game more than Anthony Walker. If Purdue is guilty of heavily posting up two guys because of TKR, then we are guilty of heavily posting up three.

Now do I actually think we post up Walker a lot? No, but semantics and context are apparently not allowed. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

TKR actually posts up a decent amount. Depends on match-ups of course and whether Edey is in too. He’ll be a focal point on offense next year. He also is a great offensive rebounder too. 

The offensive rebounding was kind of my point. He takes 4 shots per game, I'd imagine 1-2 of those are offensive rebounds and maybe another 1 is maybe a PnR and then maybe 1-2 on post ups (probably when Edey is sitting)?

The main point was that I don't think anybody would categorize Purdue's offense as a 3-out/double post offense. 

That's not their system. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The offensive rebounding was kind of my point. He takes 4 shots per game, I'd imagine 1-2 of those are offensive rebounds and maybe another 1 is maybe a PnR and then maybe 1-2 on post ups (probably when Edey is sitting)?

The main point was that I don't think anybody would categorize Purdue's offense as a 3-out/double post offense. 

That's not their system. 

It’s more Braden high pick n roll or motion horns, zoom or Spain 

Still not convinced TKR is above average on defense or shooting 

you can go 5 wide in football or 5 out in basketball but it still comes down to line play (blocking & tackling) & rebounding & defense 

now get off my lawn 🥱

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

BTW, I'm not sure that Mackenzie Mgbako hasn't vaulted into the lead for Big 10 Freshman of the Year

He's been playing so well lately! Great to see. Will be interesting to see what happens with him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

BTW, I'm not sure that Mackenzie Mgbako hasn't vaulted into the lead for Big 10 Freshman of the Year

Really good to see the development. No clue what's in store for him but man I hope he sticks around just 1 more year.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Really good to see the development. No clue what's in store for him but man I hope he sticks around just 1 more year.

Yeah, one more year would do him a lot of good on a variety of different fronts (improve athleticism, show consistency, etc). Hopefully it's in the cards. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, one more year would do him a lot of good on a variety of different fronts (improve athleticism, show consistency, etc). Hopefully it's in the cards. 

Just now, John S said:

I hope, too.  He is our best shooter.

It's funny how you can just see him growing. As a greedy fan I sure wish it was sooner but good to see nonetheless.

If we get this ship righted his development could play well into 25 recruits and beyond....but I'm most happy for the kid. That 5 star tag comes with a lot of instant expectations and sometimes it's just not fair.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

It's funny how you can just see him growing. As a greedy fan I sure wish it was sooner but good to see nonetheless.

If we get this ship righted his development could play well into 25 recruits and beyond....but I'm most happy for the kid. That 5 star tag comes with a lot of instant expectations and sometimes it's just not fair.

Agree, he's looked a lot happier and confident the last several games. Great to see. 

I just hope he makes the right call (IMO) and comes back. He's not an NBA player right now. Doesn't have the athleticism for thst level yet and needs to improve his D. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's not their system. 

Ahh that’s totally valid yeah. We’re much more of a pick and roll team compared to last year where it was throw into Edey and hope for the best haha. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So if Illinois wins we have the path of Penn St/Michigan Winner, Northwestern on Friday, Illinois on Saturday and the other one on Sunday right?

The winner of Penn State/Maryland will match up with Michigan. PSU is up 12 with 5 minutes left. We would get Nebraska if we win our game, then possibly Illinois. 

Edited by bronkonagurski
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

The winner of Penn State/Maryland will match up with Michigan. PSU is up 12 with 5 minutes left. We would get Nebraska if we win our game, then possibly Illinois. 

PSU winning easily. MD would have been much better. They can’t shoot. PSU playing well and a bad matchup.