IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

Baring something crazy Woodson will be the coach for at least 1 more year. He will get the opportunity to change some things this offseason. After that Woodson will be on the clock because his time will be running out. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

No time to quit. It's ugly now but if they can figure out defense and rebounding they can still make a run

B1G is down this season. There are a few teams that are above average and one top tier. The rest is wide open. 

They need to reevaluate what they are doing and set a goal of winning out at home and finishing in the top third of the conference. Then let the dice role in the conf tourney.

Staying the course seems like a losing proposition. CMW has to see it now.

13 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

No time to quit. It's ugly now but if they can figure out defense and rebounding they can still make a run

B1G is down this season. There are a few teams that are above average and one top tier. The rest is wide open. 

They need to reevaluate what they are doing and set a goal of winning out at home and finishing in the top third of the conference. Then let the dice role in the conf tourney.

Staying the course seems like a losing proposition. CMW has to see it now.

It would really take a miracle run at this point. Probably winning the BTT or winning a bunch of road games where IU will be a significant underdog. 

IU is now #102 in the NET, ahead of only PSU in the B!G. Just too many teams from major conferences to pass to get an at-large. Here are the # of teams, by multi-bid conferences, with a NET 70 or less:

AAC: 4

ACC:  8

Big East:  9

B1G:  8

Big 12: 11

Mountain West: 6

MVC: 2

Pac 12: 5

SEC: 9

WCC: 3

There will be 10 AQs from this list leaving 55 teams vying for 36 at-large bids. This doesn't factor that there are a bunch of teams between 70 and 102 that could potentially move up if some of these teams fall. 

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

not the place for this, but i didn't want to start a thread for it and don't follow IU football, but... one of my students just got an offer from IU football.  i'm willing to bet money he ends up at either GA or AL, but still kinda cool.  

He must be pretty good if that's where you think he'll land.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Baring something crazy Woodson will be the coach for at least 1 more year. He will get the opportunity to change some things this offseason. After that Woodson will be on the clock because his time will be running out. 

Well that sucks! Another couple of years of garbage coaching and results. As I said earlier, you think this year is bad wait until next year. With Ware, Mgbako, Walker, X and Leal gone and only one commitment you have a total rebuild coming. I don't see us getting Queen and I wouldn't be surprised to see Liam ask for his release. 
Buckle up buttercup, it's going to get worse before it gets better. Archie Miller 2.0! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This was going to be a rebuild year after JHS blew up. And then we got a couple exciting surprises, and everyone got their expectations up. Woody worked hard to get Ware and Mbako, and if Knecht came through we might have been a dangerous team. But this is our team and we root for growth, development, and great moments.

21 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It’s time to put a cork on this season and look forward to what the new football coach might bring to the table.

I have given up on IU basketball. Not worth it to get wrapped up in something that is going nowhere. 

Give up on IU basketball if that's your character and you can't be there through the thick and thin. We all know plenty of those people, it's not unusual. Some fans have an asterisk.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HPER Smooth said:

This was going to be a rebuild year after JHS blew up. And then we got a couple exciting surprises, and everyone got their expectations up. Woody worked hard to get Ware and Mbako, and if Knecht came through we might have been a dangerous team. But this is our team and we root for growth, development, and great moments.

Give up on IU basketball if that's your character and you can't be there through the thick and thin. We all know plenty of those people, it's not unusual. Some fans have an asterisk.

Sorry but I agree with Steub. I have been an Indiana fan for over 60 years through thick and thin and not wanting to see trash basketball and coaching has nothing to do with character. That is a cheap shot and totally unwarranted. 
I happen to believe that this program deserves better than what we have given by an incompetent administration that has ruined what was once a blue blood program. I don't have 20 years left to wait for a winning program and my time is much more valuable than to waste it on the crap that was on display last night!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, HPER Smooth said:

We have all been there through thick and thin. Indiana is fortunate to have fans that have been so patient. The Blue Blood portion of its brand is tied to its history extending no further than RMKs firing. 

I feel this tweet fits the last paragraph of your post.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Great article from Assembly Call, and really not much you can refute in terms of adjustments that need to be made. 

Thanks for sharing, the first point is eye popping.

Honestly the only thing I’d disagree with is that it made sense for JHS to shoot so many long twos last season. He was good relative to other players, but still was only at 0.85 points per shot. That’s not good relative to other types of shots. He shot 33.3% from three, or 1 point per shot. The staff should have worked with him to make him more comfortable shooting threes and/or attacking the rim.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Thanks for sharing, the first point is eye popping.

Honestly the only thing I’d disagree with is that it made sense for JHS to shoot so many long twos last season. He was good relative to other players, but still was only at 0.85 points per shot. That’s not good relative to other types of shots. He shot 33.3% from three, or 1 point per shot. The staff should have worked with him to make him more comfortable shooting threes and/or attacking the rim.

Agreed. And I think given what we’ve seen for 2.5 years the staff wasn’t giving JHS the green light because the thought he was good at something, they just are played with players in general taking that shot.

I think if we were to make some of those adjustments it would make a tangible difference on this years team. It may be too late to make the tournament at this point, but I’d still like to see us be as competitive as possible the next two months. 

3 hours ago, HPER Smooth said:

Get out of here with that crap! Most of us have been around for a long time and seen a lot of crap the last 30 years. Most importantly an administration with all of the resources in the world that isn’t committed to giving this loyal fan base a winner. Talking about character of this fan base for being so frustrated with the shitty product many of us spend too much money on. 🙄

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I hate to respond to myself but building on this point, we were one competent guard away from being competitive this year.  With a short bench and an experience ball handler this team probably would have done much better.  At the very least I expect our margin of victory against the crappy teams and our margin of loss against the better would have been more in our favor.

Having X stay around for another year and/or coming up short on adding a guard in the transfer portal was absolutely devastating to the year.  I think Cupps is going to develop into a player we all like but this was too early to hand him the keys.  That being said, having him in the lineup just not messing up (even though he isn't adding much either) has our starting 5 in the Top 10 most efficient lineups in the country.

In the history of bad bets, putting all the eggs in the Xavier Johnson basket was a colossal mistake.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, HPER Smooth said:

Woody worked hard to get Ware and Mbako

Maybe Ware even though that one wrapped up pretty quickly, but didn’t Mgbako’s mom call Woody out of the blue? He kind of fell into Woody’s lap. 

I’m sure work was put in and I’m not minimizing the fact we closed him, but would Mgbako even have been on the staff’s radar if this didn’t happen? After missing on Knecht, Timberlake and Ledlum we were really fortunate this happened. Who would be starting at the 3 if he didn’t come? 😬 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Maybe Ware even though that one wrapped up pretty quickly, but didn’t Mgbako’s mom call Woody out of the blue? He kind of fell into Woody’s lap. 

I’m sure work was put in and I’m not minimizing the fact we closed him, but would Mgbako even have been on the staff’s radar if this didn’t happen? After missing on Knecht, Timberlake and Ledlum we were really fortunate this happened. Who would be starting at the 3 if he didn’t come? 😬 

Correct on Mgbako

“Mackenzie’s deal is kind of unique because the crazy thing is Mackenzie’s mom reached out to coach Woodson with a text,” Hunter said on the Hoosier Hysterics podcast last week.  “And so that’s initially how it got started. We didn’t know him, but just obviously (Mgbako) being from the New Jersey area, and Coach (Woodson) being a Knicks guy, and just the people around. So she actually reached out to coach first and inquired about us recruiting her son.  So that’s initially how it kind of came about.”

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-assistant-describes-unique-way-mackenzie-mgbakos-recruitment-by-indiana-started/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I hate to respond to myself but building on this point, we were one competent guard away from being competitive this year.  With a short bench and an experience ball handler this team probably would have done much better.  At the very least I expect our margin of victory against the crappy teams and our margin of loss against the better would have been more in our favor.

Having X stay around for another year and/or coming up short on adding a guard in the transfer portal was absolutely devastating to the year.  I think Cupps is going to develop into a player we all like but this was too early to hand him the keys.  That being said, having him in the lineup just not messing up (even though he isn't adding much either) has our starting 5 in the Top 10 most efficient lineups in the country.

In the history of bad bets, putting all the eggs in the Xavier Johnson basket was a colossal mistake.

Correct on Cupps. The lineup is efficient because he is a ball mover. The ball doesn't stick like it does with X. Cupps will be a good player in time but he is being asked to do a lot right now. Which sucks for the present but could very well pay off in the future. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Correct on Cupps. The lineup is efficient because he is a ball mover. The ball doesn't stick like it does with X. Cupps will be a good player in time but he is being asked to do a lot right now. Which sucks for the present but could very well pay off in the future. 

The starting 5 with Cupps is actually one of the best lineups in the country.

We can change our roster, we can make little changes that would likely be the difference in a number of games down the stretch. Playing that 5 man lineup ~20 minutes and rotating the few subs who do play with multiple starters, as well as cutting out long 2s, would make a huge difference for this team.

Those changes are 100% on Woodson to make IMO. 

• Like 1