Army Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, DC2345 said:

I think it’s something that should be looked at. Not saying it’s the answer to anything but he has more skills that translate to playing the 4 than Reneau. Reneau scores like TJD. He’s basically a second 5 with Ware on the floor. 

This. It's more about style of play than anything else. 

I understand we don't have guard depth, but as long as we play with 2 bigs at all times and run everything through the post, this is what we're going to look like. 

We're going to get outscored at the 3pt line massively and then going to have to be insanely efficient in the half court (which isn't our strength) just to stay in games. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Reneau had 14 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 blocks tonight.  Don't try to tell me that MM deserves to be the 4 in a 3-guard lineup.  Just don't.  

He needs to play though. Why is he starting if he's just going to ride the bench the rest of the game? Woody needs to figure stuff out. Right now there doesn't seem to be much thought into who's playing when. The only thing apparent is he doesn't seem to trust anyone besides Cupps and the other starters. That's not going to work. Mbako needs to play. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I have no expectations for this team this year. Especially after losing 4/5 of our starters from last years team.

I think as fans, we forget sometimes.....

We're going to lose 3 starters from this year's team - no expectations next year either?

Things like that don't hold anymore. We brought in 2 1st round picks (I guess?) and 2 guys with a lot of college games under their belt (really 3 guys if you consider that we didn't have X for the important part of last year), we should have expectations. Not to say there isn't a learning curve, so it's okay to struggle early.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

This. It's more about style of play than anything else. 

I understand we don't have guard depth, but as long as we play with 2 bigs at all times and run everything through the post, this is what we're going to look like. 

We're going to get outscored at the 3pt line massively and then going to have to be insanely efficient in the half court (which isn't our strength) just to stay in games. 

We’ve been Outscored by 50 + points from 3 point lane against mid-majors during the first two games….and where is Mgbako? Someone should also Woodson

Edited by Hoosier987

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

This team has a lot of issues.

The good news is those issues are largely correctable.

The bad news is there hasn’t been much to show us in the past 2+ years that we are willing to play the way we need to play with this roster. 

This is how I'm feeling right now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

We shot 58% from the field.  It's the turnovers that we need to be concerned about.   

That’s a problem too but some of those are being caused by how bad the offense is that Woodson is running. The 58% from the field isn’t a good indication of the offense as a whole. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

This team has a lot of issues.

The good news is those issues are largely correctable.

The bad news is there hasn’t been much to show us in the past 2+ years that we are willing to play the way we need to play with this roster. 

Your last paragraph is spot on. What makes anyone think this team will be remotely good if we’re playing the exact same scheme with less an All American and NBA guard. He’s not playing to this teams strengths.

For the love of god…please stop with the mass substitutions. They just kill us.

• Like 1

Just now, OGIUAndy said:

He needs to play though. Why is he starting if he's just going to ride the bench the rest of the game? Woody needs to figure stuff out. Right now there doesn't seem to be much thought into who's playing when. The only thing apparent is he doesn't seem to trust anyone besides Cupps and the other starters. That's not going to work. Mbako needs to play. 

But, why should he play at Reneau's expense.  That's what I am asking about.  What has MM shown in these 4 games (exhibitions included) that indicates he should get more floor time than Reneau.  

We, as fans, need to stop basing our thinking on the number of stars a guy has.  Same kind of crap we went through when everyone on the board wanted Perea and Hollowell to come in and take over for Watford and Oladipo,

It's mind boggling.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

We’ve been Outscored by 50 + points from 3 point lane against mid-majors during the first two games….and where is Mgbako? Someone should also Woodson

Mgbako has been in the dog house ever since the Taco Bell incident. I expect Woodson will be using him more moving forward 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

Your last paragraph is spot on. What makes anyone think this team will be remotely good if we’re playing the exact same scheme with less an All American and NBA guard. He’s not playing to this teams strengths.

For the love of god…please stop with the mass substitutions. They just kill us.

I’m honestly not mad about the substitutions in these ‘easy’ games. Woody needs to see what he has on the bench, he needs to find those guys he can trust. BUT if he continues to do this against good teams like he did in 2012-22 I might go mad. 

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

But, why should he play at Reneau's expense.  That's what I am asking about.  What has MM shown in these 4 games (exhibitions included) that indicates he should get more floor time than Reneau.  

We, as fans, need to stop basing our thinking on the number of stars a guy has.  Same kind of crap we went through when everyone on the board wanted Perea and Hollowell to come in and take over for Watford and Oladipo,

It's mind boggling.

The flipside is what has Reneau shown that says he should automatically get those minutes?

He is a bad rebounder, defender, and has awful vision passing the ball. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I have no expectations for this team this year. Especially after losing 4/5 of our starters from last years team.

I think as fans, we forget sometimes.....

We aren’t rebuilt yet. When we are there are NO more horrible seasons. Bad seasons are 8-10th in the conference. We are never sniffing .500 EVER.

So yes get it rebuilt Woodson but he’d agree IU needs to be darn similar to the other top 5-10 Blue Bloods. 

3 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Does anyone know why we brought back Crean's top of the key weave?  It just looks like pointless fluff to start the offense. We dont look to drive off of it, never back cut. We look like the Washington Generals trying to play to Sweet Georgia Brown. 

This drives me nuts watching it. It is utterly pointless