What The Numbers Say

5fouls

Going to steer the thread in a different direction.  He's not shooting well, struggling keeping players in front of him, but the most concerning thing for me about Cupps is that he's not setting up buckets for other guys.  His 'Assist %' is only ahead of Sparks and Gunn.  Yes, he's just a freshman, but the best way a freshman PG can make an impact is creating for your teammates.  The analytics :D indicate that he's not doing that.

image.png.50210e6a1949d8ba7a6e90e494917904.png

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Going to steer the thread in a different direction.  He's not shooting well, struggling keeping players in front of him, but the most concerning thing for me about Cupps is that he's not setting up buckets for other guys.  His 'Assist %' is only ahead of Sparks and Gunn.  Yes, he's just a freshman, but the best way a freshman PG can make an impact is creating for your teammates.  The analytics :D indicate that he's not doing that.

image.png.50210e6a1949d8ba7a6e90e494917904.png

So, would you rather have Cupps or the freshman Braden Smith?

Cupps doesn’t have an Edey to feed to.

He also has been a defensive instigator.

Gotta look at the whole picture and not just what the metrics want to show you 

• Like 1

My last thing about stats and how they can be used any way you want them to read.

Last year the analytic guy on the Greeny show kept arguing about how good the o line of the Beats were. Everybody was telling him how bad they were but the ESPN analytics said they were a top 10 OL. The guys who covered the Bears told him they were the worst OL in football. The thing is that at that time the Bears OL had given up the most sacks and pressures in the league. So my question is what is going into the formula to grade the OL. To me sacks and pressures would be at the top of the things to look at. So how did the Bears OL grade out so well even though they were last in those categories.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Braden Smith will have a better college career than Gabe Cupps.  

• Confused 1

Here's some more fun numbers. Indiana is blocking shots at the 46th best rate in D1 basketball. This is happening even though Indiana's defense is giving up 43rd highest rate of 3 point attempts. 

Maybe someone can explain to me why we are constantly over helping when we have excellent shot blockers down low. Wouldn't it be better to let teams shoot mid range jumpers instead of over helping and allowing wide open threes?

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think 1.5 years into Braden Smith and .5 years into GC it is an incredibly easy choice to say Smith, and outside of a minority of IU fans that would be a universal opinion.

That isn’t a statement on what will happen moving forward, but Smith looked better halfway through his freshman year than Cupps has and nothing that’s happened since then would change that. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My last thing about stats and how they can be used any way you want them to read.

Last year the analytic guy on the Greeny show kept arguing about how good the o line of the Beats were. Everybody was telling him how bad they were but the ESPN analytics said they were a top 10 OL. The guys who covered the Bears told him they were the worst OL in football. The thing is that at that time the Bears OL had given up the most sacks and pressures in the league. So my question is what is going into the formula to grade the OL. To me sacks and pressures would be at the top of the things to look at. So how did the Bears OL grade out so well even though they were last in those categories.

You’re comparing PFF GRADES to analytics that measure what has actually happened?

You can argue how some of the analytics weight for competition, or if you think we aren’t worried about analytics and are playing a deep rotation, but they aren’t just grades they’re actual things that have happened. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think 1.5 years into Braden Smith and .5 years into GC it is an incredibly easy choice to say Smith, and outside of a minority of IU fans that would be a universal opinion.

That isn’t a statement on what will happen moving forward, but Smith looked better halfway through his freshman year than Cupps has and nothing that’s happened since then would change that. 

Again, consider who each guy is playing with