Wright State Post Game Thread

Reacher

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I guess my concern there is that defending the 3pt line isn't a 'this season' issue, it's been an issue as long as Woodson has been here. Certainly last season and now again to start this season. 

Has it really been that big on an issue before this year? In Woodson’s first 2 years IU has allowed opponents to shoot 33.0% and 33.4% respectively from 3. That ranked in the top half of the country both years. It’s not elite, but still solid imo.

I get that opponents have shot a lot of 3’s, but that’s more because IU has had a top 20 2 point defense both years.

The bigger defensive trend that I see as an issue is that we don’t really force many turnovers.

• Like 3

Some complaints are legit. Some aren't. 

My two, and maybe only, positives from last night were---

1. Ware seems to be "upping the ante" every time he steps on the court. Very much going out of his way to block shots, grabbing any rebound he can. 

2. The first 14-16 minutes were our best basketball of the year, no doubt. That's obviously going to have to be expanded across more time in a game, though. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last 6 mins of each half combined we got outscored 36-25. Last 6 mins of first half (with our starters on the court minus MM who had fouls)... we got outscored 24-15. The last 6 mins of the 2nd half we got outscored 12-10. 

The other 28 mins in the game we outscored them 64-44. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

While true, nothing suggests in the first 5 games that this is a championship team or even a tournament team. Quite the opposite in fact. 

First of all I am not saying this team will be like this team. The 81 team started. 7-5 with a list to Texas Pan American and didn't look like a championship team

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Peaked last year, and 3 games later you have concluded he is not a fit?

From peaking to not fitting in 3 games?

32 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

This program peaked last year with Mike Woodson. He's just not a good fit for college basketball.

Could be a coincidence, but a poster on a different message board with this same screen name professes to be a UK fan.  And, no, I'm not talking about @bluegrassIU

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Malik did a good job last night of recognizing the double team and passing out of it. He had 5 assists. He and Ware seem to have some chemistry. 

I noticed both as well. I remember when it seemed that TJD went from taking 3-4 seconds to see the double coming and then making a move, to seeing it in .7 seconds and passing out. It seems that was 8-9-10 games in, I think MR and Ware started that in game 3. Not perfected, but it started, I call that a HUGE improvement! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

The last 6 mins of each half combined we got outscored 36-25. Last 6 mins of first half (with our starters on the court minus MM who had fouls)... we got outscored 24-15. The last 6 mins of the 2nd half we got outscored 12-10. 

The other 28 mins in the game we outscored them 64-44. 

but... but... but... Woody's "mass substitution" pattern is the problem 😜

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

And are 3-0.

IU has outscored their opponent 140-78 on 2's in their first 3 games.

Yup and against inferior opponents who were buy games.  I was simply inferring the obvious…which many games will be lost to quality opponents if this alarming trend continues. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Yup and against inferior opponents who were buy games.  I was simply inferring the obvious…which many games will be lost to quality opponents if this alarming trend continues. 

Wasn't meaning that your inference to a comment by someone else was wrong, but there has to be a reason why, although totally correct, we are 3-0. 

If a 3 is worth 33% more than a 2, then a poor 3 team has to hit 33% more 2's (check my math there) than they hit 3's to stay even. And we have. 

Defiantly makes it an uphill climb, but we have outscored our opponents for a reason. right? 

14 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Adding up those two leads me to believe something is wrong with the math 

Very well could be. I looked at box score, took (FGm-3ptmade)*2 to come up with the # of 2 pointers scored. Am I wrong? I might be bad at math.... Wait, I AM bad at math but am I wrong? 

I did double check my work against the final score and this formula worked out perfect 3x.

4 hours ago, JJack said:

I'll add... IU is currently 301 in D1 basketball 3's made. 

Last year 9 of the top 25 offenses ranked in the bottom 75 of D1 in 3 point rate. 8 of the top 25 offenses ranked in the top 75. There are plenty of offenses that succeed while shooting a limited number of 3s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Could be a coincidence, but a poster on a different message board with this same screen name professes to be a UK fan.  And, no, I'm not talking about @bluegrassIU

I am definitely not a Kentucky fan. Lol. Lifelong IU fan here. Just not a huge fan of Woodson. It's not personal, I just have never felt he was the right guy.